Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 25

Backup Sump Pump Types

I'm going to have a backup sump pump installed in our new house. Wondering about the pros and cons of battery powered vs water powered. The only con I can see about water powered ones is adequate water pressure. Anybody have any water driven ones? This would be Johnston city water so I'd guess they'd have enough pressure. I really don't see why I'd want to go with a battery if the water driven ones operate as advertised.

Starter
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Backup Sump Pump Types

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone90 View Post
    I'm going to have a backup sump pump installed in our new house. Wondering about the pros and cons of battery powered vs water powered. The only con I can see about water powered ones is adequate water pressure. Anybody have any water driven ones? This would be Johnston city water so I'd guess they'd have enough pressure. I really don't see why I'd want to go with a battery if the water driven ones operate as advertised.
    Aren't the water pumps pretty expensive? Having said that, in new construction, that is the only way to go......

Lifetime Achievement- In on page 1 of a THujone MS Paint thread.

Addict
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 612
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Can you explain this better? Are you talking about a battery backup to the sump you are going to put in? I was told that the battery backup is really only good if you lose power for a short time, if the pit is filling up at a decent rate during a storm and you lose power the battery may only last about an hour. Technically the pit should be installed near a floor drain so in the chance it did overflow the drain would act as the backup.

Go Cubs Go!

Starter
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CYdTracked View Post
    Can you explain this better? Are you talking about a battery backup to the sump you are going to put in? I was told that the battery backup is really only good if you lose power for a short time, if the pit is filling up at a decent rate during a storm and you lose power the battery may only last about an hour. Technically the pit should be installed near a floor drain so in the chance it did overflow the drain would act as the backup.
    Curious as to where your floor drain 'drains' to in this set up?

Lifetime Achievement- In on page 1 of a THujone MS Paint thread.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by linkshero View Post
    Curious as to where your floor drain 'drains' to in this set up?
    My sump is about a foot away from the floor drain. assume my floor drain goes to the sewer, I've never had the drain backup in the 7 years I've lived in the home so that doesn't concern me either considering if that were to happen it would have done so during last year's heavy rains.

Go Cubs Go!

Starter
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 428
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 5

I'd like to see some recommendations on product names for battery backups to sump pumps.

I lived in my house for 20+ years before I had a problem (not even in 1993). I've since had problems twice, in 2004 and 2010. I had basement (finished) damage each time. Still working on my basement now -- in *%$#*& February.

I just installed a sewer check valve so, if that engages, running the sump water to the floor drain will not solve the problem.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Max57 View Post
    I'd like to see some recommendations on product names for battery backups to sump pumps.

I lived in my house for 20+ years before I had a problem (not even in 1993). I've since had problems twice, in 2004 and 2010. I had basement (finished) damage each time. Still working on my basement now -- in *%$#*& February.

I just installed a sewer check valve so, if that engages, running the sump water to the floor drain will not solve the problem.
    My setup is my sump runs the water outside and taps into my gutter downspout which I have about 20 feet of extension to push the water away and downhill from the house. If I lost power then if the pit were to overflow - the guy that installed mine is a master plumber in hydronics - tells me it would take a lot of water pressure for it to come over the top of the pit because the water in the pit would likely be heavy enough to resist the water coming in from the tiling that runs into it. If it did overflow then as long as the floor drain is clear it would empty into that.

If your floor drain is already backed up you probably are going to have more problems to worry about than just an over-flowing sump pit I bet. Again, those pumps if running constantly are going to wear down a battery pretty quickly with the ammount of power they take tp run. A backup battery would last you for a bit if you lost power for a short period of time or if your pump wasn't kicking off more than a few times an hour. This summer when we had that 4.5" inch rain one night I bet my pump ran every 10-15 seconds during the heaviest part of the storm as much water as it was taking on. Had I lost power that night there is no way a battery would have lasted more than an hour as much as it was kicking in.

Go Cubs Go!

All-Star
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 778
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 25

I had the pump fail and pit overflow in our previous house, that's why I'm looking into a backup. We had other water in the basement when it overflowed. If it rains like last year there is enough pressure to overflow the pit and cause other problems, at least here. From what everybody is saying, there does not seem to be reason not to go with the water backup. It eliminates the potential for both pump and battery failure. Anybody actually have one and recommend a brand?

All-Star
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Get a generator if you are worried about the need for a backup. If you lose power you can operate more than your sump and when not needed for pumping water, it can be used to power anything you want to bring to a tailgate!

Hit it hard, every yard

Walk On
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

We bought a Watchdog battery operated unit from Lowe's nearly 3 years ago and it works perfectly. We had a ton of problems with other battery units, but this one has made me a believer. Had the power out quite a few times in those near 3 years and the back-up has worked very well, keeping the water going the right direction.

"2nd place is the 1st loser." - Dale Earnhardt
    "Cheating only means you care about winning." - Red Green

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 95.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 311
    Given: 257

How long do the batteries last in years? Is there a way to check the life of the battery?
    If your basement is flooded, Servpro will dry it out for $5-10k. Not the way to go.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Walk On
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    How long do the batteries last in years? Is there a way to check the life of the battery?
    If your basement is flooded, Servpro will dry it out for $5-10k. Not the way to go.
    They are designed to last 5-7 years depending on how often they are used. If you use the watchdog battery, it has a sensor for fluid level to make sure you don't run low on acid and ruin the battery, while it also diagnoses small problems and alerts you so that you aren't down when needed.

"2nd place is the 1st loser." - Dale Earnhardt
    "Cheating only means you care about winning." - Red Green

Prospect
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 201
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone90 View Post
    I would put in two pits and tie the two together by a common tile. Which would be just putting two pits on the tile going around the house. The cost in very little when you are just building new. Or put two beside each ohter. This way if one pump fails the other will drain the tile. I would also but in a battery back up pump with a alarm box to tell you when the back up is working. In a lot of cities now you have to hook up directly to the storm sewer. If you think you are going to have extreme problems pre planning is very important. The tile should be below the base of the footing with a a foot to two foot of pea gravel over the tile. Also tile inside and outside the footings.

Pro
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 470
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

We bought an Ace in the Hole battery back up. I watched water rush into our basement last summer when the power was out. Our neighbors were out of town, when I asked what happened to their basement, they didn't even realize we'd been without power. Their Ace in the Hole system had handled the 4 hours we were without power. Naturally it hasn't been used since I installed it, but it's nice knowing it's there.

Generators are great, but the manual start units are useless if you aren't home or if you don't realize the power is out. I heard the power click off during the outage and within 5 minutes the water was out of the sump. Depending on the setup I may not have been able to get a generator set up and started in time to stay completely dry, but it would have prevented most of the damage for me.

Rookie Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

The real solution is for builders to stop building the crap with foundation tiles that drain INTO the basement necessitating sump pumps for simple spring water/rain. I will never buy a house with that stupid design. Builders should tile foundation drains to daylight or an adjacent storm sewer. Another beauty of walkout basement lots!
    Without that choice, the bigbox stores offer natural gas powered emergency generators that can run many of your circuits in case of power outage.....a very nice luxury if you can flip the $5000/6000 it would take.