Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 83

Two girls advance to Iowa HS wrestling tourny

I'm listening to Gary Rima's sports radio show up here in Cedar Falls and the discussion topic is the two girls who made it to the tourny for the first time in state history. The girls both made it in 112 weight class, one's from Cedar Falls and one's from Ottumwa. And as if on cue, some mouth-breather from small town Iowa calls in to say he "doesn't think it's right for girls to wrestle because we shouldn't teach boys to handle girls like that." Then he goes on to say he "knows a kid in the state tourny that will forefit the match if he has to face a girl."

This sediment makes me so irritated. Wrestlers like to say how it's the ultimate sport. If that's so, then why would they want to back down from any competition? I hope one of these girls win the weight class.

Pro
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 4

Re: Two girls advance to Iowa HS wrestling tourny

So if I liked volleyball as a kid, I should have been given the right to play that?

I know there is a double standard between guys and girls sports, but leave guys sports for guys and girls for girls.

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 825
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by cycfan1 View Post
    So if I liked volleyball as a kid, I should have been given the right to play that?

I know there is a double standard between guys and girls sports, but leave guys sports for guys and girls for girls.
    Yep, they should stay in the kitchen and not compete with guys, even though they wrestled their way to state by beating boys. And yes, if you liked volleyball, you could have found a men's league and played in high school. They don't really have girls wrestling in high school. So the only way for them to wrestle, is against boys.

No more Rhyming, I mean it.... Anybody want a Peanut?

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

This is going to upset some people but I guess its my honest feeling. I wrestled a girl twice in high school. I was a sophomore and she was a Senior. It was hard knowing I was going to have to wrestle a girl... the entire school came out because of it. I saw people there that I never went to a meet before and never went after. Its an uncomfortable situation to put a guy in especially at that age. They have womens wrestling and I think they should stick to that. its very awkward for the male in that situation. Should they be able to wrestle absolutely.... I commend them for it as I think its the best sport ever... but they should be wrestling other women. I often think its funny that its ok to let a female compete in a males sport against males but it wouldnt even be considered in the opposite situation. Im super happy they are wrestling but feel for the males they are competing against.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 120

Quote Originally Posted by BCforISU View Post
    Yep, they should stay in the kitchen and not compete with guys, even though they wrestled their way to state by beating boys. And yes, if you liked volleyball, you could have found a men's league and played in high school. They don't really have girls wrestling in high school. So the only way for them to wrestle, is against boys.
    Directly from the IHSAA:

"State rules allow female students to participate in a boys sport when their school does not offer a comparable sport."

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 796
    Given: 526

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone1306 View Post
    This is going to upset some people but I guess its my honest feeling. I wrestled a girl twice in high school. I was a sophomore and she was a Senior. It was hard knowing I was going to have to wrestle a girl... the entire school came out because of it. I saw people there that I never went to a meet before and never went after. Its an uncomfortable situation to put a guy in especially at that age. They have womens wrestling and I think they should stick to that. its very awkward for the male in that situation. Should they be able to wrestle absolutely.... I commend them for it as I think its the best sport ever... but they should be wrestling other women. I often think its funny that its ok to let a female compete in a males sport against males but it wouldnt even be considered in the opposite situation. Im super happy they are wrestling but feel for the males they are competing against.
    Did you kick butt or did you go soft?

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

All-Star
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 468
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 236
    Given: 22

Quote Originally Posted by BCforISU View Post
    Do they have boys volleyball?

I could see this being very uncomfortable for the guys wrestling these girls, definately not a position I'd like to be put in.

All debate aside, congrats to the girls for earning a spot at state wrestling.

Starter
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 338
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 5

I believe girls/women have the right to wrestle if they choose to do so. I also believe there are physical differences between males and females that make male athletes superior in almost every sport. Aside from certain gymnastic events are there any other sports in which females could be competitive with males? I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

Starter
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 40

Quote Originally Posted by vortex View Post
    I believe girls/women have the right to wrestle if they choose to do so. I also believe there are physical differences between males and females that make male athletes superior in almost every sport. Aside from certain gymnastic events are there any other sports in which females could be competitive with males? I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

The girl from Ottumwa, Megan Black has been wrestling since age five. By all reports she's a fabulous kid who has worked hard for everything she' s earned. Get used to hearing about her, only a sophomore.

Addict
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,080
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

agree with 1306-i had to wrestle a girl in jr high, and it was awkward. i felt the need to completely change my style. first off, i didn't know whether she was any good or not, so going in i'm thinking-this sucks-she's either gonna suck and i'm gonna beat the **** out of a girl which would probably be looked down upon, or she's gonna be really good and maybe beat me and i'd be ridiculed forever for it.

i ended up tech falling her by taking her down and letting her back up. i was not going to try to turn her to her back because as a jr high boy, i didn't find that appropriate. it was brutal. i felt bad for beating her, but what do you do??

that said, i'm doubting these girls get techd very often if they are good enough to make state, albeit at a lighter weight. impressed that they qualified.

i don't get the forfeit comment, i think you have to go out and do what you have to do, but to me it is so uncomfortable it's a little unfair to the boy. he's not focusing soley on what needs to be done to win i will guarantee that.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 670
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

gross

All-Star
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 745
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 26

They are wrestling at the lowest weight class, which is hard for many guys to maintain that weight level. One of my best friends in high school wrestled at this weight class, it was difficult for him to maintain weight because he was still growing. He was always cutting weight, and often in very unsafe ways. Most girls have reached their full height by age 15, where as boys are 16-17.

Addict
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,080
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

Quote Originally Posted by Three4Cy View Post
    They are wrestling at the lowest weight class, which is hard for many guys to maintain that weight level. One of my best friends in high school wrestled at this weight class, it was difficult for him to maintain weight because he was still growing. He was always cutting weight, and often in very unsafe ways. Most girls have reached their full height by age 15, where as boys are 16-17.
    it's not the lowest weight class. that would be 103. 112 is 2nd lowest, but most good teams have at least 1 decent option at that weight.

now you don't see many jrs and srs at these weights and those you do are usually dominant, but lots of freshman and sophomores can easily wrestle here. i was a 112 pounder as a freshman, 119 as a sophomore, and 145 160 as a jr and sr.

Pro
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,185
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 75

I was talking to a former wrestler in class today and he said he had to wrestle 2 girls in 8th grade. He beat them both but he said it was the worst he felt after a win. He is also one of the guys that likes to win and doesn't care who he beats.

Rookie
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 108
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 3

Luckily I wrestled at a heavier weight in HS and never had to wrestle a girl (wouldn't want to go against one in the 171 or 189 weight classes), but one of my teammates had to wrestle a girl at a tournament in the 112 class. Sadly for him, she pinned him. I say "sadly for him" not because I think he should've won but because of all the ridicule and agony he got for losing to her. As a wrestler, I think she was good and deserved to win. But from another perspective I see a lose-lose situation for him and a win-win for her, not exactly what we call ideal.

Lose-lose for him, because everyone expects him to win so if he doesn't, that's a loss. Plus, he is putting his dignity and reputation on the line, because if he loses he gets harassed for "losing to a girl" in a "man's sport." Win-win for her because, if she wins the match obviously big score for her, lose and she measures up to everyone's assumption she'd lose, so no giant blow to her dignity although some. I'm sure she has gone on to bigger and better things, but for him he hasn't been the same since.

I know he shouldn't let it get to him, he should've "risen above" all the harassment and been bigger than that. But in all respect he shouldn't have been in that position to begin with (wrestling her or being pinned). I'm all for women wrestling, but it's nothing but a lose-lose situation for all sides. I would love to see women HS wrestling teams pop up around the state, but I just don't see it happening. If she wants to wrestle, fine, but a guy should be able to choose not to wrestle her without any consequences if he chooses. And should he choose to wrestle her...may the best wrestler win, whether it's a man or woman.