Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Why not?

  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 33,837, Level: 56
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    dtISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Boone (not Marshalltown)
    Posts
    1,333
    Points
    33,837
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 83

    Why not?

    JVB is out for awhile (those high ankle sprains can take a long time to heal) and our season (which we knew going in was a throw-away) is in the tank. Why not give Railey and McKnight more playing time? CFH gets to see them in more game situations and they get the benefit of additional court time.

    We're in the middle of a really tough stretch - 4 ranked teams, 3 of them on the road. More PT right now might give those guys a leg up on next year.

    Guess I'm just trying to find a silver lining to this season. Yes, I was drunk on kool-aid at the end of the non-conference schedule.



  2. #2
    Legend
    Points: 276,635, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 66.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    VeloClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Posts
    13,135
    Points
    276,635
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 611
    Given: 1,202

    Re: Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by dtISU View Post
    JVB is out for awhile (those high ankle sprains can take a long time to heal) and our season (which we knew going in was a throw-away) is in the tank. Why not give Railey and McKnight more playing time? CFH gets to see them in more game situations and they get the benefit of additional court time.

    We're in the middle of a really tough stretch - 4 ranked teams, 3 of them on the road. More PT right now might give those guys a leg up on next year.

    Guess I'm just trying to find a silver lining to this season. Yes, I was drunk on kool-aid at the end of the non-conference schedule.
    How do you explain that to a senior that their last season of basketball is a "throw away"?


    "There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 213,459, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    SplitIdentity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    8,032
    Points
    213,459
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 11

    Re: Why not?

    I've never understood calling a season a throw-away.

    First off, when ISU was sitting at 14-2, nobody on this board thought the season was going to be a throw-away. Everybody here had hopes for a post-season of some sort, and were penciling in a middle of the pack Big 12 finish as a lock. Hell, we even had NCAA Tourney predictions.

    Now, all of the sudden, in the midst of a pretty bad streak, the season is back to being a "throw-away". Where was this "rational" thinking 4 weeks ago? Why should the team view this year as a throw away?


    The artist formerly known as SouthernHawk

  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 63,350, Level: 78
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,500
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bostrem00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    2,750
    Points
    63,350
    Level
    78
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 21

    Re: Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by SplitIdentity View Post
    I've never understood calling a season a throw-away.

    First off, when ISU was sitting at 14-2, nobody on this board thought the season was going to be a throw-away. Everybody here had hopes for a post-season of some sort, and were penciling in a middle of the pack Big 12 finish as a lock. Hell, we even had NCAA Tourney predictions.

    Now, all of the sudden, in the midst of a pretty bad streak, the season is back to being a "throw-away". Where was this "rational" thinking 4 weeks ago? Why should the team view this year as a throw away?
    What the wonders of losing 8/9 can do....



  5. #5
    All-Star
    Points: 33,837, Level: 56
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    dtISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Boone (not Marshalltown)
    Posts
    1,333
    Points
    33,837
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 83

    Re: Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by VeloClone View Post
    How do you explain that to a senior that their last season of basketball is a "throw away"?
    11 of the 12 Big12 coaches selected us last in the conference. I'm not saying anything about the effort given by these young men - only that expectations for this year were, shall we say, rather low. Coupled with the redshirts we've all come to know and love, this season has had an overtone of "get us to next year."



  6. #6
    Publisher
    Points: 779,772, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 66.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    ChrisMWilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    15,948
    Points
    779,772
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 588
    Given: 166

    Re: Why not?

    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRxm0oGbnRI]YouTube - Herm Edwards Press Conference on Winning.......[/ame]



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 120,386, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RING4CY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ankeny, IA
    Posts
    6,584
    Points
    120,386
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 120

    Re: Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by dtISU View Post
    11 of the 12 Big12 coaches selected us last in the conference. I'm not saying anything about the effort given by these young men - only that expectations for this year were, shall we say, rather low. Coupled with the redshirts we've all come to know and love, this season has had an overtone of "get us to next year."
    So, what you're saying is that the season was a throw-away before it even began because of how the coaches in the conference voted...?




  8. #8
    Legend
    Points: 217,633, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    10,278
    Points
    217,633
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 230
    Given: 284

    Re: Why not?

    Trust me our seniors probably would not mind a few breaks in the game. Jake Anderson is dying out there. Give him some winders and get the young guys a little more time. I get what the OP is saying.


    Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 211,107, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    16,399
    Points
    211,107
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 500
    Given: 265

    Re: Why not?

    I think they will get more playing time, by default if nothing else. Also, Godfrey will too, I think his suspension is finished now.



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 120,386, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RING4CY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ankeny, IA
    Posts
    6,584
    Points
    120,386
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 120

    Re: Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    This deserves all the rep in the world.




  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 39,205, Level: 61
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,145
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    2,621
    Points
    39,205
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 3

    Re: Why not?

    Railey averages more than a foul per TV timeout guessing both will get minutes with JVB out.


    Let Me Mayor Coach!

  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 90,925, Level: 93
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 325
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    CRcyclone6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cedar Rapids
    Posts
    5,300
    Points
    90,925
    Level
    93
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 179
    Given: 778

    Re: Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    Trust me our seniors probably would not mind a few breaks in the game. Jake Anderson is dying out there. Give him some winders and get the young guys a little more time. I get what the OP is saying.
    With all the mins these guys are playing, Uncle Jake is going to be Grandpa Jake by the B12 tourney.


    Are you a member?

  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 95,100, Level: 96
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,950
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cyclones500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    8,882
    Points
    95,100
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 173
    Given: 424

    Re: Why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by SplitIdentity View Post
    I've never understood calling a season a throw-away.

    First off, when ISU was sitting at 14-2, nobody on this board thought the season was going to be a throw-away. Everybody here had hopes for a post-season of some sort, and were penciling in a middle of the pack Big 12 finish as a lock. Hell, we even had NCAA Tourney predictions.

    Now, all of the sudden, in the midst of a pretty bad streak, the season is back to being a "throw-away". Where was this "rational" thinking 4 weeks ago? Why should the team view this year as a throw away?
    I hate the term "throwaway" -- I've seen in posted time and again. Maybe it's just a word choice —*maybe we could go with "anticipated mulligan season."

    You're correct that nobody assessed the season like that when it was 14-2 (or even 14-4) ... now it's revisionist, just so fans don't feel so crushed by the downtown.

    There were limited expectations in preseason, but i didn't see anyone referring to it as throwaway even at that point.

    Maybe I'm in the minority, but I still hope this team can reach postseason. NIT is almost certainly the ceiling, and it's hard to have confidence ISU can actually string together enough wins, considering the remaining schedule the results to this point.



  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 432,851, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,818
    Points
    432,851
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 122
    Given: 16

    Re: Why not?

    You play the game to win. If you aren't going to try to win, don't bother showing up. McKnight playing leaves us no chance to win.



  15. #15
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 43,132, Level: 64
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,118
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    heitclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Malvern, IA
    Posts
    4,506
    Points
    43,132
    Level
    64
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 185

    Re: Why not?

    Won't these guys have to play more with JVB hurt? And the beauty of college basketball is that every single team in the entire country still has the opportunity to go to the NCAA tournament. Obviously thats not very realistic for us but in college bball your season isnt over until you lose in your conference tourney. Remember Georgia a few years back?



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM