Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29
  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 51,035, Level: 69
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Broodwich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    42.186391, -93.598597
    Posts
    2,044
    Points
    51,035
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Lemieux issues statement about 'Incident on the Island.'

    Statement from Penguins co-owner Mario Lemieux - NHL.com - News

    "Hockey is a tough, physical game, and it always should be. But what happened Friday night on Long Island wasn't hockey. It was a travesty. It was painful to watch the game I love turn into a sideshow like that.

    "The NHL had a chance to send a clear and strong message that those kinds of actions are unacceptable and embarrassing to the sport. It failed.

    "We, as a league, must do a better job of protecting the integrity of the game and the safety of our players. We must make it clear that those kinds of actions will not be tolerated and will be met with meaningful disciplinary action.

    "If the events relating to Friday night reflect the state of the league, I need to re-think whether I want to be a part of it."

    NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly responded Sunday with this statement:

    "We are entirely comfortable with how Friday night's events were handled. We have no other response to Mr. Lemieux's statement."



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 361,726, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    19,241
    Points
    361,726
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 556
    Given: 74

    Re: Lemieux issues statement about 'Incident on the Island.'

    I agree with him. The islanders actions were a joke. Fighting is one thing but headhunting is another.


    It's all snark from here on out

  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 51,035, Level: 69
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Broodwich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    42.186391, -93.598597
    Posts
    2,044
    Points
    51,035
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Lemieux issues statement about 'Incident on the Island.'

    I love a good scrap in hockey, but throwing an elbow at a guy then punching him in the head while he is laying on the ground is not a fair fight and breaches "The Code."

    Talbot was justified in backing up the goaltender, and that should be taken in to consideration before the 10 game suspension.



  4. #4
    Legend
    Points: 265,088, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Cyclonestate78's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    11,528
    Points
    265,088
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 259
    Given: 696

    Re: Lemieux issues statement about 'Incident on the Island.'

    Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    I agree with him. The islanders actions were a joke. Fighting is one thing but headhunting is another.
    I disagree.

    I think people are getting Mario's comments all confused with what happened on Friday. He isn't talking about the fighting.... he is talking about how the Penguins got mauled giving up 9 goals. What the Penguins were doing on the ice on Friday wasn't hockey... it's called getting their ***** kicked on the scoreboard and all over the ice.



  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 361,726, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    19,241
    Points
    361,726
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 556
    Given: 74

    Re: Lemieux issues statement about 'Incident on the Island.'

    Quote Originally Posted by Broodwich View Post
    I love a good scrap in hockey, but throwing an elbow at a guy then punching him in the head while he is laying on the ground is not a fair fight and breaches "The Code."

    Talbot was justified in backing up the goaltender, and that should be taken in to consideration before the 10 game suspension.
    Wasn't Talbot the one who got beat on. I thought Goddard was the one who came off the bench. Either way I agree. The Islanders call a guy up and in his first game he decides he is going to become a Cowboy out there. What a *******. That is a lot of the reason I don't pay a lot of attention to hockey anymore. There's just a lot of guys like that.


    It's all snark from here on out

  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 361,726, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    19,241
    Points
    361,726
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 556
    Given: 74

    Re: Lemieux issues statement about 'Incident on the Island.'

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonestate78 View Post
    I disagree.

    I think people are getting Mario's comments all confused with what happened on Friday. He isn't talking about the fighting.... he is talking about how the Penguins got mauled giving up 9 goals. What the Penguins were doing on the ice on Friday wasn't hockey... it's called getting their ***** kicked on the scoreboard and all over the ice.
    There was no fighting to be talked about. There was one cheap shot from across the ice and then there was an elbow from behind. The one thing that could be called a fight was with the goalie and the goalie looked to win that one.


    It's all snark from here on out

  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 51,035, Level: 69
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Broodwich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    42.186391, -93.598597
    Posts
    2,044
    Points
    51,035
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Lemieux issues statement about 'Incident on the Island.'

    Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    I thought Goddard was the one who came off the bench. Either way I agree.
    I stand corrected. THX.



  8. #8
    Legend
    Points: 265,088, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Cyclonestate78's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    11,528
    Points
    265,088
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 259
    Given: 696

    Re: Lemieux issues statement about 'Incident on the Island.'

    Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    There was no fighting to be talked about. There was one cheap shot from across the ice and then there was an elbow from behind. The one thing that could be called a fight was with the goalie and the goalie looked to win that one.
    It was good old fashioned payback. Nothing more.... nothing less.

    The two major brawls Friday night were sparked by Martin and Gillies.
    The first broke out in the second period when Martin jumped Maxime Talbot from behind near center ice and started a fight, presumably in retaliation for an unpenalized hit delivered by Talbot on Feb. 2 against Islanders forward Blake Comeau, who hasn't played since because of a concussion.
    In that previous meeting, Johnson also knocked down counterpart Rick DiPietro with one punch to the face, leaving the Islanders goalie out for four to six weeks because of facial fractures.



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 361,726, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    19,241
    Points
    361,726
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 556
    Given: 74

    Re: Lemieux issues statement about 'Incident on the Island.'

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonestate78 View Post
    It was good old fashioned payback. Nothing more.... nothing less.

    The two major brawls Friday night were sparked by Martin and Gillies.
    The first broke out in the second period when Martin jumped Maxime Talbot from behind near center ice and started a fight, presumably in retaliation for an unpenalized hit delivered by Talbot on Feb. 2 against Islanders forward Blake Comeau, who hasn't played since because of a concussion.
    In that previous meeting, Johnson also knocked down counterpart Rick DiPietro with one punch to the face, leaving the Islanders goalie out for four to six weeks because of facial fractures.
    So payback involves cheapshots? I don't care if they want to step up and kick their *** but if you think you are such a badass and payback is deserved at least have the balls to make it a fair fight. Besides that I wouldn't even be mad about someone breaking a faced with one punch, I would be impressed.


    It's all snark from here on out

  10. #10
    Legend
    Points: 265,088, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Cyclonestate78's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    11,528
    Points
    265,088
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 259
    Given: 696

    Re: Lemieux issues statement about 'Incident on the Island.'

    Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    So payback involves cheapshots? I don't care if they want to step up and kick their *** but if you think you are such a badass and payback is deserved at least have the balls to make it a fair fight. Besides that I wouldn't even be mad about someone breaking a faced with one punch, I would be impressed.
    Watch the replay.... he cracks him with an elbow right in the face. This type of deal happens in the NHL. Some teams want payback and games turn into all out brawls. Nothing wrong with that. It's hockey, it's a part of the game. Lemieux should be embarrassed at how his players repeatedly turtled while getting a beatdown. Funny how the Islanders who were just out for blood, cheapshots, and fighting says Lemieux yet they managed to put the puck in the net 9 times.


    Last edited by Cyclonestate78; 02-14-2011 at 04:42 PM.

  11. #11
    Starter
    Points: 14,472, Level: 36
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 378
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Cyclone711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    943
    Points
    14,472
    Level
    36
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

    Re: Lemieux issues statement about 'Incident on the Island.'

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonestate78 View Post
    It was good old fashioned payback. Nothing more.... nothing less.

    The two major brawls Friday night were sparked by Martin and Gillies.
    The first broke out in the second period when Martin jumped Maxime Talbot from behind near center ice and started a fight, presumably in retaliation for an unpenalized hit delivered by Talbot on Feb. 2 against Islanders forward Blake Comeau, who hasn't played since because of a concussion.
    In that previous meeting, Johnson also knocked down counterpart Rick DiPietro with one punch to the face, leaving the Islanders goalie out for four to six weeks because of facial fractures.
    Sucker punching someone in the face from behind is not good old fashioned payback. People who think this is acceptable in hockey have clearly never played the sport (that's the only logic I can think of). If you did that in public you would be in jail. If you are going to fight someone, do it face to face. There is a place for fighting in hockey, but not this.



  12. #12
    Legend
    Points: 265,088, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Cyclonestate78's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    11,528
    Points
    265,088
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 259
    Given: 696

    Re: Lemieux issues statement about 'Incident on the Island.'

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone711 View Post
    Sucker punching someone in the face from behind is not good old fashioned payback. People who think this is acceptable in hockey have clearly never played the sport (that's the only logic I can think of). If you did that in public you would be in jail. If you are going to fight someone, do it face to face. There is a place for fighting in hockey, but not this.
    I suppose you call this a clean hit? The Penguins player lined him up and leveled him from a completely blindside position. The Islanders player has been out since that hit with a concussion. It doesn't get much cheaper then that. To think that an Islanders player is going to retaliate and give him the courtesy he didn't show his teammate isn't going to happen. When it comes to enforcers in the NHL if you cheapshot their teammate from behind like that you better have eyes in the back of your head the next time you play them. It is what it is.

    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zicvRtISupY"]YouTube - Islanders @ Penguins 2/2/11[/ame]


    Last edited by Cyclonestate78; 02-14-2011 at 04:52 PM.

  13. #13
    All-Star
    Points: 11,569, Level: 32
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 381
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    tyrelrobert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines,IA
    Posts
    1,038
    Points
    11,569
    Level
    32
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: Lemieux issues statement about 'Incident on the Island.'

    And yet Mario employs one of the top 3 cheap shot artists in the NHL in Matt Cooke



  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 25,973, Level: 49
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 577
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,039
    Points
    25,973
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 20

    Re: Lemieux issues statement about 'Incident on the Island.'

    I didn't see the game so I'm not commenting on this particular incident.

    However, there have been many times when a player refuses to stand up and be held accountable for his cheapshots (think Avery, Cheechoo, or Cooke). In that situation the opposing player has a choice, let the dude skate away free to take his next cheapshot or drop the gloves and level the guy. If he does the latter then his team will have a penalty to kill, he will receive a game misconduct, and a multi-game suspension (I believe that is called the "Bettman package" in the parlance of our times). I've seen many situations where I would support a player dropping the gloves, hitting the cheapshot artist however he can, and then jump on top of his turtling-a** and continue the beatdown. In the old days before the instigator rule guys would have to stand up and face the music, now they can turtle and their team will benefit from it.



  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 62,350, Level: 77
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 900
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    azn4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    DSM
    Posts
    3,089
    Points
    62,350
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Lemieux issues statement about 'Incident on the Island.'

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonestate78 View Post
    I suppose you call this a clean hit? The Penguins player lined him up and leveled him from a completely blindside position. The Islanders player has been out since that hit with a concussion. It doesn't get much cheaper then that. To think that an Islanders player is going to retaliate and give him the courtesy he didn't show his teammate isn't going to happen. When it comes to enforcers in the NHL if you cheapshot their teammate from behind like that you better have eyes in the back of your head the next time you play them. It is what it is.

    YouTube - Islanders @ Penguins 2/2/11
    If you think that was a dirty hit, you know nothing about hockey. Talbot didn't take a shot at his head, never extended his arms, didn't leave his feet. Just because the other player isn't looking, doesn't make it a dirty hit.

    That's one of the big problems with hockey these days. you have a clean hit like that and yet people want to fight you for it.

    As far as the statement goes, Lemieux is a bit of a hypocrite since he didn't speak up even while his player Matt Cooke wasn't in that game because he got suspended for a dirty hit earlier.

    Oh, also keep in mind the reason DiPietro fought Johnson and got knocked out in a single punch is because DiPietro was out of his crease taking a high shot at Matt Cooke... who I don't like, but don't make it seem like DiPietro was innocent.


    Last edited by azn4cy; 02-14-2011 at 06:34 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 07:00 PM