Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 90

Twister Sister Summary - Ladies win gritty game 61-53

This was a back and forth game as these two fairly evenly matched teams battled hard in the first half. ISU, as usual, was led by Bolt who either scored or went to the line and scored. She had 14 by the half.

I was also impressed with Big C. She seems to have overcome her initial "shock" of getting used to Big-12 play and is on the court looking like a veteran. Hits free throws, rebounds, and hustles all the time.

K-State kept things interesting from beyond the arc hitting 6 in the first half alone. This was a huge equalizer (as we all know) and made our ladies have to work even harder. During this time, ISU would only hit one of their own.

Late in the half ISU would go on an 11-3 run largely due to strong defense and smart offense. Add to that a technical on KSU and ISU was in good shape.

Started the second half 0-7 and no points in the first 5:30 minutes. ISU had two straight possessions where we didn't even get a shot off. Fortunately KSU wasn't doing much better as they only picked up 2 during that time. The ladies were cleaning up the glass on the defensive end and KSU didn't get any second chance opportunities.

Cole continued to be an offensive liability. She handled the ball relatively well, but was never really much of a threat to score. That makes it tough on the offensive end when you are playing 4 on 5.

Jess made the defensive play of the game. ISU was facing a short clock and turned it over. Jess hustled down court and established position and not only forced the KSU player to miss, but got the rebound. GREAT play.

The scoring drought would continue as our ladies would be stuck on 2 points for the first TEN minutes of the second half. K-State would narrow the lead to four before Big C would get a rebound and score. The offense was looking terrible as everyone is missing, KSU was playing salty defense and the officials were letting players get away with beating on each other.

It was a half of stupid turnovers, short clocks, five second violations and more mistakes for the sisters. It was at about the 8 minute mark (and ISU only having scored 4 points) that Bolt decided enough was enough and hit a three. But another turnover would allow KSU to cut the lead to 3.

The rest of the half was white knuckle time as KSU was playing with confidence. It seemed like we did just enough to keep them at bay. A huge number of turnovers kept allowing KSU to keep it close and actually cut it to 2. We couldn't seem to do anything offensively as there was too much standing around and way too much physical play being allowed by the officials. Add to that our seemingly inability to stop Childs in the second half. She ate our posts alive.

The late minutes of the half would see the ladies holding off KSU by the narrowest of margins…often only two points and even extending it to 5 after a HUGE shot by Loz. What it would come down to was free throws. Bolt hit 12 for 12 in the game, Big C made a couple late and Loz…with a smile on her face…would hit two late to extend the lead to a three possession game.

When you look at the second half statistically, we actually held K-State to one less point than in the first half. The big difference was turnovers and missed shots. Our ladies did just enough and got the job done. Loz and Bolt put the team on their back and helped to put this one in the win column. Cole played some great defense drawing two big charges. Very gritty win. When the pressure was on it would have been easy to fold…not these ladies. Not this time. Huge home win to put us back at .500 for the conference season.

Player of the Game? Bolt hands down. 25 points and 7 boards. Great game.

I'm always hopeful when it comes to our ladies. I have to admit that what I'm seeing right now is that we are what Bill has been saying (indirectly) all year - not a top 25 team….very close, but there are some missing pieces. We aren't very athletic. Not very fast outside of Jess. We don't have anyone outside of Bolt who can consistently hit the three. We have some poor free throw shooting at some critical times. Yes, we are capable of beating anyone. Yet, we are also capable of being beaten by anyone. What that spells out for us is that every game is probably going to be a nail biter.

What's left now? Let's take a look ahead.
    Wed - at TTech. How good are the Lady Raiders? They are 1-6 in the their last 7 after a great start. They are tough at home. Winnable, but tough.
    Sat - Home v Colorado. Payback game. I expect this to be a win.
    Mon 21st - Home v Texas. One of the teams tied or ahead of us in the standings. This is an up and down team that looks much like ISU…good at times and ugly at others. At home I predict a win.
    Sat 26th. At KSU. Based on today I'm seeing this one as a very tough road game. HAte to say it, but unless we find some offense this will be a loss.
    Tue 1st - Kansas. Another payback. Win at home.
    Sat 5th At Mizzou. Very tough road game. The team is fighting for a top four placement and I say the sisters find a way to win on the road. Confidence abounds.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 172
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

Re: Twister Sister Summary - Ladies win gritty game 61-53

Quote Originally Posted by acoustimac View Post
    This was a back and forth game as these two fairly evenly matched teams battled hard in the first half. ISU, as usual, was led by Bolt who either scored or went to the line and scored. She had 14 by the half.

I was also impressed with Big C. She seems to have overcome her initial "shock" of getting used to Big-12 play and is on the court looking like a veteran. Hits free throws, rebounds, and hustles all the time.

K-State kept things interesting from beyond the arc hitting 6 in the first half alone. This was a huge equalizer (as we all know) and made our ladies have to work even harder. During this time, ISU would only hit one of their own.

Late in the half ISU would go on an 11-3 run largely due to strong defense and smart offense. Add to that a technical on KSU and ISU was in good shape.

Started the second half 0-7 and no points in the first 5:30 minutes. ISU had two straight possessions where we didn't even get a shot off. Fortunately KSU wasn't doing much better as they only picked up 2 during that time. The ladies were cleaning up the glass on the defensive end and KSU didn't get any second chance opportunities.

Cole continued to be an offensive liability. She handled the ball relatively well, but was never really much of a threat to score. That makes it tough on the offensive end when you are playing 4 on 5.

Jess made the defensive play of the game. ISU was facing a short clock and turned it over. Jess hustled down court and established position and not only forced the KSU player to miss, but got the rebound. GREAT play.

The scoring drought would continue as our ladies would be stuck on 2 points for the first TEN minutes of the second half. K-State would narrow the lead to four before Big C would get a rebound and score. The offense was looking terrible as everyone is missing, KSU was playing salty defense and the officials were letting players get away with beating on each other.

It was a half of stupid turnovers, short clocks, five second violations and more mistakes for the sisters. It was at about the 8 minute mark (and ISU only having scored 4 points) that Bolt decided enough was enough and hit a three. But another turnover would allow KSU to cut the lead to 3.

The rest of the half was white knuckle time as KSU was playing with confidence. It seemed like we did just enough to keep them at bay. A huge number of turnovers kept allowing KSU to keep it close and actually cut it to 2. We couldn't seem to do anything offensively as there was too much standing around and way too much physical play being allowed by the officials. Add to that our seemingly inability to stop Childs in the second half. She ate our posts alive.

The late minutes of the half would see the ladies holding off KSU by the narrowest of margins…often only two points and even extending it to 5 after a HUGE shot by Loz. What it would come down to was free throws. Bolt hit 12 for 12 in the game, Big C made a couple late and Loz…with a smile on her face…would hit two late to extend the lead to a three possession game.

When you look at the second half statistically, we actually held K-State to one less point than in the first half. The big difference was turnovers and missed shots. Our ladies did just enough and got the job done. Loz and Bolt put the team on their back and helped to put this one in the win column. Cole played some great defense drawing two big charges. Very gritty win. When the pressure was on it would have been easy to fold…not these ladies. Not this time. Huge home win to put us back at .500 for the conference season.

Player of the Game? Bolt hands down. 25 points and 7 boards. Great game.

I'm always hopeful when it comes to our ladies. I have to admit that what I'm seeing right now is that we are what Bill has been saying (indirectly) all year - not a top 25 team….very close, but there are some missing pieces. We aren't very athletic. Not very fast outside of Jess. We don't have anyone outside of Bolt who can consistently hit the three. We have some poor free throw shooting at some critical times. Yes, we are capable of beating anyone. Yet, we are also capable of being beaten by anyone. What that spells out for us is that every game is probably going to be a nail biter.

What's left now? Let's take a look ahead.
    Wed - at TTech. How good are the Lady Raiders? They are 1-6 in the their last 7 after a great start. They are tough at home. Winnable, but tough.
    Sat - Home v Colorado. Payback game. I expect this to be a win.
    Mon 21st - Home v Texas. One of the teams tied or ahead of us in the standings. This is an up and down team that looks much like ISU…good at times and ugly at others. At home I predict a win.
    Sat 26th. At KSU. Based on today I'm seeing this one as a very tough road game. HAte to say it, but unless we find some offense this will be a loss.
    Tue 1st - Kansas. Another payback. Win at home.
    Sat 5th At Mizzou. Very tough road game. The team is fighting for a top four placement and I say the sisters find a way to win on the road. Confidence abounds.

Comments including upcoming games are right on. A couple of comments - good to see Anna hitting those buckets. She comes on as a bit awkward at times (must be foot work, but has a good shot). We need her to contribute. Also, couldn't help but notice that Z didn't get any minutes. Not saying I disagree, but would like to think she can be a good contributor, possibly on the 3's.

Pro
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,050
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 90

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneBob View Post
    Comments including upcoming games are right on. A couple of comments - good to see Anna hitting those buckets. She comes on as a bit awkward at times (must be foot work, but has a good shot). We need her to contribute. Also, couldn't help but notice that Z didn't get any minutes. Not saying I disagree, but would like to think she can be a good contributor, possibly on the 3's.
    Z has been a mystery of sorts. She goes into a game, can make a quick splash and then disappears completely. She has talent, I'm wondering where the consistency is at. The biggest deficit that I've noticed is on defense where her footwork is a bit slow. You know if Pop was getting chewed up on defense in the second half that Z would have looked lethargic.

Walk On
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 368
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by acoustimac View Post
    Z has been a mystery of sorts. She goes into a game, can make a quick splash and then disappears completely. She has talent, I'm wondering where the consistency is at. The biggest deficit that I've noticed is on defense where her footwork is a bit slow. You know if Pop was getting chewed up on defense in the second half that Z would have looked lethargic.

Coach was asked at lunch today about Z. He said the defensive game plan required posts to defend in space, and Anna and Z couldn't be on the floor together. He said Z's attitude was good after the game, she knows the team will need her to play well down the stretch.

Recruit
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 558
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

First game I got to watch in Hilton all year, a Valentine's Day tradition my wife and I have (yes, I am the luckiest man alive). Just my impressions on this team:
    1) We have been spoiled rotten by the PG play, G play in generally really, that we've been used to the last several years. Whatever else we've lacked occasionally, we've always had really really good G's. Nothing wrong, per se, with the G's this year, just not the same level we're used to. It seemed like, in the 2nd half especially, they understood the offense and where the next pass should be, but not fast or sharp enough to be effective (i.e. Arnaud in Herman's system). I think with experience, the timing will be better, and we'll be just fine.
    2) Bolte is an ice cold assassin. I've suspected she was capable of this since her So yr., but to see her hit crucial shot after crucial shot with the smallest of windows just speaks volumes for her leadership.
    3) We play defense. And rebound. And generally out hustle and out work everyone. Every team has one or two girls that fill this role (Stuckey), this team is a team full of them.
    4) We do have the best WBB fans anywhere. It was loud, and at the right times. At least, for a Sunday afternoon WBB game. What a great environment to watch a game in.
    5) Winning breeds winning. When it got close at the end, even after the two losses we'd just suffered, no one blinked. Just calmly drill FT after FT, force tough shots, get the board, and win. No panic, even from the freshmen. We expect to win, and we do, the losses hurt that much more, because it's unusual, an anomaly.
    Sorry if some of these points seem obvious, or have been discussed before. I 'knew' most of this before, but seeing it firsthand these things really stood out. This is a better team than I thought they might be, and when allowed to feed the post we can have a really good offense. Bolte is such a threat from anywhere that we can beat anyone on the right night. But we have no transition game, we don't get easy baskets, and if the shots don't fall we can loose to anyone too. If we get hot we can make another deep run, but I think we'll have a hard time getting past the 2nd round. Still a fun team to cheer for.

All-Star
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 16

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbears View Post
    Coach was asked at lunch today about Z. He said the defensive game plan required posts to defend in space, and Anna and Z couldn't be on the floor together. He said Z's attitude was good after the game, she knows the team will need her to play well down the stretch.
    BF has mentioned this in regards to Kelsey Harris and Jess. He said Jess does better against teams who play man to man, and Kelsey does better against teams who play more of a sagging man or zone since she is primarily an outside threat.