Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 4

Good article about Aggy and SEC

You Canít Always Get What You Want, Aggies ę FRANK THE TANKíS SLANT

Points out all the reasons why the Big 12 is pretty much safe, but this is simply astounding.

(Indeed, in the third quarter of 2010, ESPN provided half of the profit of the entire Disney Company. Think about that for a second: add up all of Toy Story 3 ticket sales, all of the people visiting Disney World and Disneyland, all of the Mickey Mouse and Winnie the Pooh swag sold, all of the ABC advertising revenue, all of the Disney books and DVDs hawked, all of the High School Musical and Hannah Montana crap, all of the Disney Broadway show tickets, and revenue from thousands of other Disney properties, and they still werenít as profitable altogether as ESPN was by itself. Thatís power.)

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 119
    Given: 28

Re: Good article about Aggy and SEC

In before all the conference realignment doom and gloom folks continue to say the end is near.

B12 is here to stay and is likely going to get the largest TV contract to date when all is said and done.

Legend
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 226
    Given: 172

Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post
    In before all the conference realignment doom and gloom folks continue to say the end is near.

B12 is here to stay and is likely going to get the largest TV contract to date when all is said and done.
    Thats what I am hoping for. I still think the B12 needs to expand to do that, or 2 more teams need to consistantly win 9 games with at least 4 strong programs in football and 6-7 in basketball.

Addict
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 687
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 49

One of the many reasons I'd like ala carte cable. I'd drop ESPN and it's hefty price tag in a heart beat.

Addict
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by State43 View Post
    Thats what I am hoping for. I still think the B12 needs to expand to do that, or 2 more teams need to consistantly win 9 games with at least 4 strong programs in football and 6-7 in basketball.
    The only way I'd want expansion:

1) Notre Dame
    2) Expansion helps ISU in terms of competitive balance
    3) $$$

Addict
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 910
    Overall activity: 95.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,117
    Given: 54

It's funny, I also post on a Hawaii board and they talk about the possibility of the MWC when the Big XII disbands. I try to tell them that the stability is much better now than before and they say things like "A&M will go to the SECOND" or "the Pac 10 will come calling again" or "Oklahoma will eventually get sick of Texas's b.s. and leave".

Am I happy being with Texas? No, but people from the outside don't realize that as long as Texas is happy, no one is going anywhere. They don't realize that if Texas has their own channel, they'd lose money going to the Pac 10. Obviously anything can happen, but I don't see any serious shake up (other than possibly adding teams) in at least the next 15 years.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 368
    Given: 112

The whole A&M/SEC thing has cracked me up. The SEC has shown almost no interest, and Aggie fans are just besides themselves dreaming about going to a conference that would basically destroy their entire program within 5 years.

All because they hate Texas that much. Freaking insane.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 438
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 1

Hypothetical question: if the Big East offered Mizzou, ISU, Kansas, KSU, Texas Tech, and Baylor....would the six schools I just mentioned take the offer? Obviously equal revenue sharing is guaranteed.

Here's why I think this may not be as far fetched as many believe. I fully believe that Syracuse, Rutgers, and Pitt WILL NOT be in the Big East a decade from now. The Big Ten is going to eventually go to 16, whether or not you agree with me on that is irrelevant in this hypothetical, but lets just say that the Big Ten either takes those three teams, or, the Big Ten takes 3 teams from the ACC - then the ACC takes those three teams. Those three are most desirable from a competitive and TV demographic standpoint, so when they get an offer for greener pastures, they'll take it.

If you can agree with me that Pitt/Syracuse/Rutgers are desirable targets for other conferences, and we assume they will eventually leave, that means the Big East is left with:

West Virginia
    Louisville
    Uconn
    Cincinnati
    USF
    TCU

The Big East would realize they'd need a major overhaul to keep their BCS a****id, say they went about it by offering the schools I mentioned above and going to a 16 team conference with a 4 pod division set up that would look like this:

Northwest

ISU
    Mizzou
    Kansas
    Kansas State

Southwest

TCU
    Texas Tech
    Baylor
    Houston

Southeast

USF
    Memphis
    UCF
    Louisville

Northeast

West Virginia
    Uconn
    Marshall
    Cincinnati

Just curious what your opinion of this is? The projected above conference, firstly, would be a very solid and competitive football conference worthy of a BCS bid. Further, it would be an elite basketball conference, AND has a demographic presence in Texas, Florida, midwest/St. Louis, and the NE, so the TV demographics would be favorable.

I think this would be a really stable set up that would work out well for all teams involved. It may cost you a little bit of money at first, but I think the TV demographics are there to succeed in the long term, which is something that you can't say for the Big 12.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Why is a****id censored? a u t o b i d

Speechless
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 119
    Given: 28

My opinion is the B12 will continue to exist and thrive.

Addict
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 381
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post
    My opinion is the B12 will continue to exist and thrive.
    This is the correct answer, although I doubt it will be called the Big 12.

Just look at it this way, If they can put a computer on Jeopardy, anything is possible.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by hawkfan
    The Big Ten is going to eventually go to 16
    You fans might want it, Delaney might want it, but I guarantee that the presidents and ADs (you know, the people with the actual power here) don't want to do it and won't do it. 16 teams poses more problems than it does good for a conference, and there's a reason that they didn't go to 16 this spring even though they easily could have.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    You fans might want it, Delaney might want it, but I guarantee that the presidents and ADs (you know, the people with the actual power here) don't want to do it and won't do it. 16 teams poses more problems than it does good for a conference, and there's a reason that they didn't go to 16 this spring even though they easily could have.
    Please explain to me why the Presidents (the AD's don't make decisions btw- they may have input, but the presidents make decisions) wouldn't want to create a better academic and athletic conference?

From an athletic perspective, expanding preserve rivalries, create more revenue via BTN subscribers, AND increase the footprint of the conference into areas that it currently does not have access. Seems like a win, win, win to me.

Academically if the Big Ten adds the right schools, it can add millions of dollars in collaborative research funding which will increase the academic rankings of ALL current members of the Big Ten.

Please, elaborate on the "problems" that expansion to 16 creates. The reason the Big Ten didn't go to 16 last summer was because the RIGHT teams weren't accessible yet. In time, and with shifts in the college football paradigm, the right teams will be more available, and when that happens, the Big Ten will court them and convince them to join.

Publisher
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 796
    Given: 205

FTT nailed it here. Just nailed it. Props to him on another great blog.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by hawkfan View Post
    Please explain to me why the Presidents (the AD's don't make decisions btw- they may have input, but the presidents make decisions) wouldn't want to create a better academic and athletic conference?

From an athletic perspective, expanding preserve rivalries, create more revenue via BTN subscribers, AND increase the footprint of the conference into areas that it currently does not have access. Seems like a win, win, win to me.

Academically if the Big Ten adds the right schools, it can add millions of dollars in collaborative research funding which will increase the academic rankings of ALL current members of the Big Ten.

Please, elaborate on the "problems" that expansion to 16 creates. The reason the Big Ten didn't go to 16 last summer was because the RIGHT teams weren't accessible yet. In time, and with shifts in the college football paradigm, the right teams will be more available, and when that happens, the Big Ten will court them and convince them to join.
    Is it going to increase the Network enough? What if they can push the Network into these areas based on alumni alone? Then you get more money for the existing Universities, as opposed to having to water it down. 16 teams is just too large. Why don't they just get rid of all conferences and have the whole country be the Big 10? Get Florida, California, the SW, Texas, the Pacific NW. All Big 10. Well that's just ridiculous. 16 teams isn't a really a conference. Half of the teams would hardly ever play, and some of the big dogs would start slipping. They don't want that. That's why the 4 16 team conferences isn't happening. The major universities don't want to give up the power that they more easily retain in a smaller league.

And how were these other universities not available? It's likely that the Big 10 would take Big East schools, because the Texas thing clearly isn't happening. Those Big East universities WERE available. They are ALWAYS available. If the Presidents wanted them, they would have moved on it. There was no reason not to just go 16 then and there, but they didn't do it. Unless they're still courting Notre Dame, there isn't a single University that they couldn't get, yet they chose not to. That tells me something.