Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

How 'The Fridge' lost his way

It's a long article, but worth the read. It probably hits home for a lot of people (addicts & caregivers) in this country as well.

Super Bowl: William "The Refrigerator" Perry acknowledges alcoholism, insists he's not putting himself in jeopardy - ESPN

- Im not a spin my wheels type of guy." - Coach Paul Rhoads

Pro
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 194
    Given: 38

Re: How 'The Fridge' lost his way

Wow.

As a 7 year old Bears fan who idolized the fridge during the 85 season this is a very sad story. I knew he had his issues but I did not know how close he came to dying and just how bad his alcoholism was. The crazy part is most athletes who become alcoholics do it to deal with life after the spotlight is gone. The fridge just preferred sitting and drinking even when he was in the spotlight. Pretty sad to say but if he continues like this he won't be around in two years.

Great to see that Ditka was trying to help him out after all these years though.

Hopefully the Fridge can pull his head out of his *** and get the help he needs and follow the medical advice that will keep him alive.

All-Star
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,104
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: How 'The Fridge' lost his way

Quote Originally Posted by FarminCy View Post
    Wow.

As a 7 year old Bears fan who idolized the fridge during the 85 season this is a very sad story. I knew he had his issues but I did not know how close he came to dying and just how bad his alcoholism was. The crazy part is most athletes who become alcoholics do it to deal with life after the spotlight is gone. The fridge just preferred sitting and drinking even when he was in the spotlight. Pretty sad to say but if he continues like this he won't be around in two years.

Great to see that Ditka was trying to help him out after all these years though.

Hopefully the Fridge can pull his head out of his *** and get the help he needs and follow the medical advice that will keep him alive.
    That's pretty much the same reaction I had....it's very sad and it doesn't look good for him. He's a prisoner in his own mind and the severity of his condition doesn't seem to get through to him in the long run. I feel bad for his family and friends who support him b/c in the end, it's up to him and he doesn't seem to have the will-power to get through this.

- Im not a spin my wheels type of guy." - Coach Paul Rhoads