Possible recruiting advantage for Hawks and others?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 688
    Given: 68

Possible recruiting advantage for Hawks and others?

I just thought I would make everyone aware of what I would consider an advantage in recruiting (at least Jucos) for the University of Iowa.

When ISU accepts a Juco transfer, they accept the credits earned but DO NOT accept the Grade Point earned in those credits. An ISU GPA will only include the grades earned from ISU courses. Also if an ISU athlete would take a summer class at a JUCO for college credit the Grade earned would not be allowed but the credit could be accepted but not figured in the the ISU GPA.

At the University of Iowa, Junior College credits transferred also get the GPA earned at the JUCO figured in to the U of I college GPA. i.e. a student from ICCC tranfers to the U of I with 32 credits and a 3.0 GPA. His U of I GPA will then be 3.0, however if the same student went to ISU he would have 32 credits but a GPA of 0.0. At the end of one semester if the U of I transfer had 16 credits with a 2.0 GPA, His cumulative GPA would still be 2.67 GPA while the ISU transfer (same credits, same results) would have a GPA of 2.0.

Also, an Iowa student could take a course at Kirkwood during the summer and earn a high grade there and it will increase his U of I cumulative GPA. At ISU, this would not be possible as ISU doesn't use non-ISU credits in figuring the cumulative GPA.

Another advantage for Hawkeyes is the use of HUD housing for their athletes which essentially allows the athlete to pocket the housing stipend and have taxpayers pay the bill (at Pheasant Ridge). ISU has no such housing complex which allows athletes to pocket their housing stipend and live in HUD housing.

I also thought it laughable (tragically) that the NCAA thought the benefits which Hubalek received (a few meals, a pair of pants, and use of an old car for a couple months) to be worth $1,800 while at Marshalltown JC and now the Hawk fan who provided such benefits will be compensated $1,800. All because this Hawk fan had season tickets to football about 20 years ago, it makes it an issue. I've got an old car someone can use, will give you a couple meals and buy you a pair of pants for $1,800 (NO PROBLEM).

Meanwhile, the Hawk athletes who got free cell phones and equipment upgrades get off scott-free? These same athletes exchanged tickets they received, to get the equipment (which essentially meant they sold them), which is illegal under NCAA rules.

So according to the NCAA a benefit received by a JUCO (who wasn't affiliated with ISU at the time he was receiving benefits) has resulted in sanctions against the player and ISU, while at the same time violations by Hawk players who were a part of the Iowa program is dismissed. Crazy!!!

Pro
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,268
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 119
    Given: 23
    Thats very interesting about the transfer GPA. Is that true for all students or just athletes? I thought your GPA got wiped no matter where you transfered to of from.

Did they fix that whole HUD housing thing? I thought they kicked all the players out of there? Could be wrong though.

The Hubalek ruling was a prime example of the inconsistancy of NCAA rulings. (see also the Jarrett case at USC.)

Good info though, I really hope that it isn't true. It would further increase my dislike of the NCAA

Starter
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 579
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by MNclone View Post
    Did they fix that whole HUD housing thing? I thought they kicked all the players out of there? Could be wrong though.

The Hubalek ruling was a prime example of the inconsistancy of NCAA rulings. (see also the Jarrett case at USC.)
    I pretty sure they closed down the HUD loophole this past year. Not sure if players currently living in that type of housing were grandfathered though. IMO those athletic departments should have been embarrassed by taking housing away from the needy. This is a case where Bowlsby and Patterson(Huskers) should have had some integrity and proactively stopped the practice after the semester was up.

I'm not an expert on the Hubalek deal. But I believe that ISU was penalized not for the benefits that Jiri received while he was at Marshaltown CC, but based on Damon Archibald telling the family that he checked with the ISU compliance folks and that their continued subsidizing of Jiri was OK.

Walk On
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 247
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Sorry to burst everybody's bubble, but my girlfriend goes to Iowa and she said that the classes taken at other institutions (community colleges, other universities) do not factor into the GPA used to determine academic probation, eligibility, etc. This is the case for all UI students, not just athletes.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 240
    GPA's don't transfer between schools, I can almost guarantee this, and if UI is doing this for athletes only, well I bet there is a problem there.

Addict
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,470
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53

$1800

Didn't this figure include an overseas flight to the Cech Republic? I believe the family and Jiri traveled to the CR and the family might have sprung for the trip.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

All-Star
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,157
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 6
    I didn't think any school transferred GPA either... but I don't know for sure, Stormin, could you tell us how you got that info or why you think that Iowa transfers GPAs? because I agree that it would be an advantage in areas other than you discussed as well.

Addict
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 252
    Given: 119
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormin View Post
    I also thought it laughable (tragically) that the NCAA thought the benefits which Hubalek received (a few meals, a pair of pants, and use of an old car for a couple months) to be worth $1,800 while at Marshalltown JC and now the Hawk fan who provided such benefits will be compensated $1,800. All because this Hawk fan had season tickets to football about 20 years ago, it makes it an issue. I've got an old car someone can use, will give you a couple meals and buy you a pair of pants for $1,800 (NO PROBLEM).
    The $1800 doesn't go to the family. The NCAA said Hubalek can pick the charity of his choice to pay.

Speechless
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    My son is attending EIU, (the dark side, he is majoring in Cinema and ISU doesn't have that major). He attended a JUCO last year and transferred to Iowa for this fall. In accepting his credits they also said that the GPA would be accepted also in figuring his cumulative GPA. I also had a niece who attended a JUCO prior to going to UNI. They had the same policy as the University of Iowa. I know from first hand experience that ISU does NOT include the grades from JUCO in figuring the Cumulative GPA. According to the correspondance that we have received concerning my son, it seems that the University of Iowa accepts the grades if they accept the credits from the JUCO. First time I had been aware of this.

As far as Pheasant Ridge, the Des Moines Rag did a follow up and still found athletes living in HUD housing. Bowlsby and Ferentz passed and said it was a personal issue and nothing ILLEGAL had been done. It seems that HUD doesn't consider scholarship or housing stipends as income, while they consider CHILD SUPPORT to be income. So if a mother receives child support she would have income, while the athlete who ears for free at the training table and receives hundreds of dollars in stipend money would be considered as having NO INCOME. I don't believe the loophole at this time is closed.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 882
    Given: 620
    Yes, that is a huge bonus for EIU and UNI. Hey, Mr. NCAA, why don't you level the playing field. I find it crazy to transfer in GPA from junior college. The GPA can be almost a point higher from junior college. Bring on Eboh. Take those courses on line, Jack. And, Jack, crank up the old gradepoint machine for the football season with famous basket weaving. So what happens at Nebraska on JC transfers, Mr Big Red fans? Maybe Big 12 has higher standards than the Big Ten.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

MUST BE a brand new policy then

I went to Ellsworth for one year and then to Iowa after that and my GPA did NOT factor into my cumulative. AND my wife Went to kirkwood for one year and her GPA did not factor into her cumulative when she transferred to UNI. My roomate at Ellsworth transfered to ISU after one year of Ellsworth and his GPA did NOT transfer for his cumulative

Walk On
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 494
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 28
    Iowa has a cumulative GPA that combines GPA from classes taken at Iowa and GPA from classes taken elsewhere. They also have a GPA that only includes classes taken at Iowa. I believe things like eligibility are based on the GPA that only includes classes taken at Iowa.

I'm not sure I would consider that much of an advantage. One could say ISU has the advantage because you can take a class at another institution, get a D- and it would transfer over the same as if you got an A+. Both have advantages and disadvantages. Considering eligibility is only figured by each school's GPA in classes taken at that school I don't see any advantage.

Last edited by Nothingman; 08-13-2006 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Font size was a bit off and it probably still is.

Speechless
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    IMO if you have trouble making grades at Tinker Toy Tech Junior College, you will not be eligible for very long at any of the Universities within our state.

As far as eligibility issues, they differ from school to school and Conference to Conference. Remember when Billups and others were declared ineligible for the Bowl game a few years back? They would have been eligible to play according to Iowa and Big Ten Rules the way I understand it.

All-Star
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 180
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 4
    ISU only accepts credits from another college if the grade is a C- or higher. anything lower than that does not transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by Nothingman View Post
    I'm not sure I would consider that much of an advantage. One could say ISU has the advantage because you can take a class at another institution, get a D- and it would transfer over the same as if you got an A+. Both have advantages and disadvantages. Considering eligibility is only figured by each school's GPA in classes taken at that school I don't see any advantage.

Walk On
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 494
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 28
    Quote Originally Posted by crash_zone View Post
    ISU only accepts credits from another college if the grade is a C- or higher. anything lower than that does not transfer.
    Ah, see when I went to school at ISU my adviser actually recommended I take my physics class at DMACC because I could get a D- and it would transfer over as if I had received an A. Maybe that policy changed as its been a few years or maybe she didn't know what she was talking about. Either way elegibility is only figured by each school's GPA in classes taken at that school so I don't see any real advantage.