Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 1

ISU Football 2011

I was just going through Iowa's 2011 schedule kind of figuring out where we'd stand and I was wondering how ISU fans feel they will be this fall. Where do you feel ISU will be better than last year? Where do you feel they will be worse?

My general take (though I don't follow ISU football religiously, so I'm unsure how accurate this assessment is):

Units that will be better than last year:

RB, WR, LB

Units that will be about as good as last year:

OL

Units that will likely be worse than last year:

DB, QB, and DL

Is this about accurate? What are your thoughts?

Pro
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 34
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 88
    Given: 4

Re: ISU Football 2011

Quote Originally Posted by hawkfan View Post
    I was just going through Iowa's 2011 schedule kind of figuring out where we'd stand and I was wondering how ISU fans feel they will be this fall. Where do you feel ISU will be better than last year? Where do you feel they will be worse?

My general take (though I don't follow ISU football religiously, so I'm unsure how accurate this assessment is):

RB, WR, LB

OL

DB, QB, and DL

DL will be even if not better than last year. Not great, but didn't lose much here.

RB will be even, if not worse. ARob was a stud in our offense.

QB will hopefully be better. AA was a great leader and representative for our team. However, he was not built for Herman's offense. Hoping a whole year of snaps and practice will benefit Jantz, Tiller or Barnett.

Pro
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 574
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 91
    Given: 151

RB, WR, LB

OL

DB, QB, and DL

Dline will be better then last year... still have lat at end, still have the same d tackles, and we are adding about 3 more dends... if we find a good qb, we will be good. WR could be a lot better or worse, not sure with all the new bodies. safety may be the only position on the field that i will say is going to be worse.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 7

RB, WR, LB

OL

DB, QB, and DL

Units better than last year:
    DL, LB, P

Units about the same:
    OL, DB, K

Units worse:
    QB, WR, RB

Defense will be really good. Scoring will be hard.... that's what she said.

Legend
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 700
    Given: 328

RB, WR, LB

OL

DB, QB, and DL

I might switch QB and RB around.
    Arob will be tough to replace, however, we do have some talent coming in, so that might be "even".
    QB might be better. Arnaud was a good QB, he just couldn't turn the corner under Herman's offense. Him getting hurt didn't help either. However, we have some good QB prospects coming in, that fit Herman's offense. (pass first, run second, type of guys)

When Prepared, Fear No One.

Addict
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 667
    Given: 334

RB, WR, LB

OL

DB, QB, and DL

My opinion:

QB: Probably worse, all though I hold out hope that whoever wins the QB battle will be able to throw accurately and our offense will take a big step forward.

WR: Better. Couldn't be much worse than last year. I look for some of the jitterbug type WRs to contribute a lot this year (Gary, West) and for Reynolds and Darks to improve. Aaronn Horne could be a big factor, especially if Jantz wins the QB battle.

RB: Worse at the top, but deeper. Losing Arob will be huge, but Woody, Johnson, Nealy, Standard, Hollis makes for a solid core.

TE: Much, much worse because of the loss of Franklin. Not that other guys can't step up, but he was out best player last year.

Oline: About the same I'd say, maybe improve a little or I could see losing Lamaak making the line take a step back.

Dline: Worse depthwise, but talent wise getting Nelson back and with Irving hopefully playing as a freshman (6'7" 250) along with the players we do have improving gives me a little hope. Can't be much worse than last year minus the Texas game.

LB & CB: We lost nobody from these units so I would expect them to be better.

Safety: A lot worse .We lose our top 3 safetys so this will be a huge question mark.

Our whole team will be deeper, however. We will finally have a full 85 man roster to use for the first time in 4 or 5 years.

Hope that helps!

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 438
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

One question I have....I had heard that ISU brought in a Juco QB....is that the case? Typically, if you have to bring in a Juco QB, the coaches aren't very comfortable with where the QB situation sits....that isn't to say it doesn't ever work....(I think Cam Newton worked out pretty well at Auburn), but it is usually only done when the coaches aren't happy with the QB's currently on the roster.

That was my logic for placing QB in the "worse" category.

On RB: Arob is a big loss, no doubt, but I was really impressed with Shontrelle Johnson in the Iowa game last year (especially on KO return) and think he'll be a very viable option for ISU. Further, RB is probably the position where it is easiest to come in and make an impact right away and ISU brought in some good RB prospects. So that was more of a "unit ranking" than "starter rating".

Legend
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 700
    Given: 328

One question I have....I had heard that ISU brought in a Juco QB....is that the case? Typically, if you have to bring in a Juco QB, the coaches aren't very comfortable with where the QB situation sits....that isn't to say it doesn't ever work....(I think Cam Newton worked out pretty well at Auburn), but it is usually only done when the coaches aren't happy with the QB's currently on the roster.

Yes, Steele Jantz, a JUCO all-american QB. It would be nice if he turned out like Cam Newton! Besides, Jantz only cost us $90,000.

When Prepared, Fear No One.

Addict
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 667
    Given: 334

On RB: Arob is a big loss, no doubt, but I was really impressed with Shontrelle Johnson in the Iowa game last year (especially on KO return) and think he'll be a very viable option for ISU. Further, RB is probably the position where it is easiest to come in and make an impact right away and ISU brought in some good RB prospects. So that was more of a "unit ranking" than "starter rating".
    Everything you say is a fair argument. The only thing I would say is that bringing Jantz in was because we thought he was a good player who could compete for a starting spot. Whoever starts this year (Jantz, Tiller, Capello, Barnett, ect) will be better because of the competition. There is really no downside to bringing him in. Competition brings success.

I will say I hope that we do decide the competition relatively early though, so the team can develop and identity before the season starts and have some chemistry.

One thing is certain, the best QB on our team will always be the backup on CF

Addict
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 128
    Given: 0

Units better than last year:
    DL, LB, P, WR

Units about the same:
    OL, K, QB-(This is a big question mark.), RB-(ARob is a huge loss but position has a lot of depth and talent)

Units worse:
    DB-(Sims is a big loss, but I wouldn't be surprised if this stayed the same.)

Last year was a young team, and I expect them to be better than last year.

Walk On
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 368
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

RB, WR, LB

OL

DB, QB, and DL

The QB position is a huge question mark.
    It may improve, it may be worse.
    I do know that if we do not see improvement,
    we will not get to a bowl game like I would like to see,

The D-line may improve, I expect things out of the defensive ends,

With Simms gone, I do not see improvement in the saftey's.

All the other area's should remain about the same, or see slight improvement,

Last edited by Carr50010; 02-06-2011 at 08:55 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 438
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Another way of looking at this....if you were to rank the units on the team (insert unit joke here), how would you rank them from strongest to weakest? My not-too-informed opinion of ISU's team would be:

1. CB
    2. OL
    3. WR
    4. RB
    5. LB (Complete lack of depth weighs this unit down)

(DROP OFF)

6. QB
    7. DL
    8. TE
    9. S (more of an unknown than anything)

Addict
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 726
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 64

To me, it ALL depends on the QB. I personally think that Jantz starts from Day 1. He is supposedly a quick learner, is accurate and can run too. We'll see.

QB: I think that it will be better. AA had some really good games, but when he was dinged (half the season), he was a shell of his former self. This is the big question mark.

RB: Equal. I loved ARob. Shontrelle did seem to hit the hole faster. They'll definitely be deeper, but lose some of the knowledge of the system and pass protection that ARob showed.

WR: Better. I think that they will be faster and more elusive overall. They'll need Lenz to step up and make big catches. IMO Jarvis West will make a big impact.

TE: Worse. They'll miss Colin Franklin making the big catch. I don't think that the JUCO Brun can just step in and replicate that. They should be stronger at the point of attach with Hammerschmidt.

OL: Even. I think that KO will move inside and be a force. Counting on improvement from Burris and either Farniok or Tautolo to step up at Center.

DE: Better. Nelson with a year in practice will be a big upgrade over Parker. Lat is back, Neal is back. They'll need a 4th DE to step up, but I believe that the pass rush from this spot will be a lot better and the run D will be equal if not better.

DT/NG: The same. Rump and McDonough are back. Laing played a lot of snaps. They'll need one more guy to join the rotation. They lose Bailey Johnson, but he was hurt half the year anyway. They should be bigger and stronger.

LB: Better. All three starters return and have a year under their belts with a couple of redshirts joining them, so they won't be forced to play every snap like they did last year. My one concern is who comes in at SAM in the nickel.

CB: Better. LJ and Reeves are both back. Thomas has gotten good reports while redshirting and I think that he'll make a nice backup.

S: Worse...although not as much worse as people think at first glance. My opinion is that Benton gets one of the spots here. He's played a ton of ball for ISU and has Safety skills. I think that it makes sense to get him on the field full time at a position where they've lost their top 3 guys. The other spot would go to Washington, Brooks or Givens (who redshirted out of JUCO).

K/P: Better. Both are back. They'll be better.

Coverage: Better. ISU took a big step back last year losing some major ST contributors to graduation (Zitek, Schmidgall) and starting spots (Knott, Klein, Reeves). They have a bunch of athletic redshirts (Morgan, Bennett, Mattison, Young, Givens, Gary) that should fill that void a little better. I don't think that coverage will be as much of an issue.

Returns: Better. Lots of guys coming in (Horne, Lampkin, Nealy, Ecby, Bundrage, Richardson) and coming off RS (Young, West) with PR/KR experience.

Walk On
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 440
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

It's real hard to predict this stuff. I would say almost every unit may be much improved. Remember that Wally won't have to completely rebuild a defense from nothing like he has the past two seasons.

Pro
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 543
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 6

QB- Hopefully atleast the same.

RB-I think better. I love Arob but on a lot of his runs he would just barely get caught before he broke off a huge run. I think Shontrelle has that speed to break off those long runs. Woody should be improved.

WR-Better. Jarvis West is apparently impressing. Chris Young also sounds impressive.

Oline- Same maybe a lil worse, the loss of Lamaak and Alex hurts, but Burris and Hicks should be improved, and Farniok sounds impressive.

Dline- Better. Losing Bailey Johnson hurts, but having Maggitt possibly starting helps a lot. I thought Maggitt was way better than Parker last year. Then add Nelson, and hopefully a more consistant Lattimer.

LB-Better. Knott and Klein improving. CJ Morgan and Mattison sound like a step up from Morton.

CB- Same maybe a lil worse. LJ, Benton, and Reeves all improved. Losing David Sims hurts a lot, but I think we improve our athleticism at the other spot.