Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 20

College Degree and Jobs

Found this article very interesting.

Professional jobs harder to get, college grads find | The Des Moines Register | DesMoinesRegister.com

I remember similar issues going on when I graduated in the late 80's, but the economy was improving then. I really think this can be a great learning experience for those involved that will help them the rest of their lives.

My perspective has certainly changed. Now I simply want my current job to last until I retire in another 20 years. Making a career shift would be tough but not impossible for me to do.

Last edited by Bobber; 02-06-2011 at 09:47 AM.

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 0

Re: College Degree and Jobs

I think it's really becoming a big issue for young people: go to college and have only a slightly better chance at a better job, but have a high amount of debt, or find a job out of high school that might pay less, but might be easier to get and you'll have less debt.

It used to be that college was the better choice, but it's not always true anymore. Not good.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 285
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 7

It's scary stuff for sure. I was looking for a new in early 2009 and was blessed enough to find another one before my first one ended. I know how lucky I was.

But if I were to give any advice to college students today, I'd say really think about your major. Think about companies and how their employment works. Companies don't hire 10 public relation employees at a time. What do you plan on doing with a political science degree? Are there jobs available? Will they be enough to pay off your loans?

Play the odds and maybe pick something that you might not love as much, but will offer you a better shot at being employed. Back in the late 90's, I picked a major (accounting) that I wasn't real crazy about instead of finance since I figured that you could possibly get a finance job with an accounting degree, but it wouldn't be as likely to get an accounting job with a finance degree.

Pro
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,290
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 1

As a student right now, I am praying for an improvement over the next couple years.

R.I.P "Gibbons" 4/3/2012
    R.I.P RollsRoyce 4/12/2012

Starter
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 476
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

So much of this depends on the degree you receive. For example, right now is a great time to be in fields such as Com Sci, Computer E, and Software E.

Starter
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 7
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by TitanClone View Post
    So much of this depends on the degree you receive. For example, right now is a great time to be in fields such as Com Sci, Computer E, and Software E.
    Agreed. Even in a good economy Public Relations and Political Science degrees aren't easy to find professional jobs for.

Starter
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

I can't say I feel too sorry for most of those people. A college degree is an investment, you need to pick one that returns that investment.

Starter
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 438
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I think a big problem with my generation who has recently graduated is we were told to follow your dreams and all of that crap in high school and college. Find out what YOU are interested in. Well of course the vast majority of people are interested in easy majors in college or were pretty idealistic in their thinking until it we started looking for jobs. So there are a ton of us out here with Poli Sci, Comm., Phil., and other junk majors.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

While Rose's six-month search for a job that matches her six-figure education is exhausting,
    A PR degree is not a six-figure education.

Starter
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 706
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 16

And all the degrees they outline in that article are crap.

I'm truly sorry that some in this generation are learning the hard way that everyone isn't a winner just because your mommy and daddy say so. Parents have really done them a disservice.

The real world happens and will eat you alive if you aren't prepared. So if you "earn" a degree that basically says you showed up most of the time for four years and had to put little effort in actually learning or accomplishing anything then employers aren't going to give a crap about your diploma.

Work your *** of in college, get a "real" degree and you will get a good job.

Addict
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 1,043
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by nickcyv View Post
    I think a big problem with my generation who has recently graduated is we were told to follow your dreams and all of that crap in high school and college. Find out what YOU are interested in. Well of course the vast majority of people are interested in easy majors in college or were pretty idealistic in their thinking until it we started looking for jobs. So there are a ton of us out here with Poli Sci, Comm., Phil., and other junk majors.
    I agree with that sentiment. There probably aren't enough jobs out there in areas that a lot of people love. I know people who borrowed money to get degrees such as art history, and video game design.

If you go that route, you better have the personality to sell for a living or have a love for serving and brewing expensive lattes because that is what your options might be.

Pro
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 564
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 1

I definitely think that the "go to college, get a degree, get a job, have a great life" rhetoric could end in favor of a more honest representation of costs and benefits. I know I was surprised at the dificulty of finding a job when I left school in 97. However, I will also say that finding something you like (that still has job posibilities) makes a huge difference. I was never enamoured with the entry level crap at Principle and the other DSM firms that I was shooting for back then and I think it showed and so I never got hired. Once I got a grad degree in a field I knew I wanted to be in, I had no trouble, and have not since (experience no doubt helps after the first one too). On a related note, I am STILL paying off student loans

Nothing to see here mods. Keep moving.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 3

I think people are using the term professional a little too loosely these days. Unless you go on to Law School a Poli Sci degree allows you to become a professional in nothing.

Many college degrees now are simply high school part II diplomas. I'll be having this talk with my sons, "There are three tracks; 1. Get a second diploma 2. Get a professional undergrad degree (engineering, architecture, etc.) 3. Get a degree with a plan for professional grad school; pre-med, bio (med school) history, poly sci (law school)".

RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

You have to think that if you go into a major like Public Relations, Communications, etc, you're going to be competing for few jobs with TONS of other people with the same degree your age, as well as all the older graduates who likely will have relevant work experience.

You pick a 'tougher' major, and perhaps work a bit during your undergrad in a relevant field or find a good internship, you'll find a job somewhat easily. Pretty sure all my friends at Iowa who went into math and science fields all have jobs right now. Not sure how well paying they are, but a job's a job and I've not heard any particular complaints. Acquaintances who went into communications, journalism, etc had a much tougher time, and many had to go into fields outside (but somewhat related, I suppose) to their major.

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by weR138 View Post
    I think people are using the term professional a little too loosely these days. Unless you go on to Law School a Poli Sci degree allows you to become a professional in nothing.

Many college degrees now are simply high school part II diplomas. I'll be having this talk with my sons, "There are three tracks; 1. Get a second diploma 2. Get a professional undergrad degree (engineering, architecture, etc.) 3. Get a degree with a plan for professional grad school; pre-med, bio (med school) history, poly sci (law school)".
    Yeah, that's true. However, make sure they know that it's possible to get into med school with an art history major as well (though you'll have to be pre-med in terms of certain classes taken, volunteering, biomedical research, etc). But your point still remains. Either get a professional undergrad degree (though, I know a few architecture majors who couldn't get jobs straight out of undergrad), or plan on going to a professional school/grad school.

EDIT: Oops. Double post.