Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 13,573, Level: 35
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 477
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    AdamO's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    239
    Points
    13,573
    Level
    35
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 14

    End of Game DG ISO Set - Part of a Bigger Plan

    Ok, I've figured out why the real reason we always run the same DG ISO set at the end of close games. The fact that DG is the best scorer and ball-handler on the team is a plausible and logical reason for the coaching staff to go with this set, but you have to dig deeper.

    It would be great to send DG and Jamie (not to mention Jake) out with a nice NCAA tournament run to close out their college careers, but given the personnel situation at the beginning of the year the staff knew this was likely not going to happen with an at-large birth based on regular season performance.

    So that leaves winning the Big 12 tournament as the only viable path into the tourney. In the conference tournament all the teams are amped up, especially those in the middle to bottom of the pack who know it's their only chance left for an invite to the big one. It's very likely that many of the tournament games will be hard fought and come down to the wire, which is when our regular season strategy pays off.

    All the teams we face will be expecting Diante to drive to the hoop for a game winning shot, and that's when we surprise the **** out of them by finally running a motion offense with some screens for Scotty and JVB who hit the game winner or fire a quick pass to Ejim for the monster game-winning slam.

    Lutz seems like a squirrely guy, I'm guessing this was his idea.




  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 69,540, Level: 81
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 210
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    timappelgate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Posts
    2,318
    Points
    69,540
    Level
    81
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 7

    Re: End of Game DG ISO Set - Part of a Bigger Plan

    I have a feeling we aren't blowing games on purpose just so we can surprise people in the Big 12 tournament. We are preparing the pick and roll at the end of the game for when we actually have a post present to screen/receive the ball (ie. White, Booker).


    R.I.P "Gibbons" 4/3/2012
    R.I.P RollsRoyce 4/12/2012

  3. #3
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 48,917, Level: 68
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 833
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    gwoodclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,318
    Points
    48,917
    Level
    68
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 31

    Re: End of Game DG ISO Set - Part of a Bigger Plan

    Brilliant!




  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 20,272, Level: 43
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 478
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    cyclone101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    1,479
    Points
    20,272
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 371
    Given: 745

    Re: End of Game DG ISO Set - Part of a Bigger Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by gwoodclone View Post
    Brilliant!

    HA HA



  5. #5
    All-Star
    Points: 22,781, Level: 46
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    CY ST8T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,553
    Points
    22,781
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: End of Game DG ISO Set - Part of a Bigger Plan

    Time to start practicing the "picket fence"


    ďAlso, I met a lot of Iowa State fans and I donít want to leave any of that behind.Ē - DARIUS DARKS on Staying a CLONE!!!


    Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

  6. #6
    Walk On
    Points: 5,562, Level: 22
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 488
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Carr50010's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    162
    Points
    5,562
    Level
    22
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: End of Game DG ISO Set - Part of a Bigger Plan

    yes, I thought this also,
    but after thinking of how much better I would feel if we had won
    the four or five games we could of, I dismissed this thought.

    It is more likely they are trying to create some video to show the NBA Scouts.
    Diante has a chance of going pro.

    Also,
    I think it is absurd to have Diante on the court for the last minute of the game.
    Please bench him,
    he has the worst luck,
    either he can not get a shot off,
    or shoots a poor shot,
    and he has never drawn a foul, unless it was a charge on him,

    Please just draw a play for the team, or a three point shot,
    and stop the one on one that we have been seeing.



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 176,190, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran
    CtownCyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    9,124
    Points
    176,190
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 397
    Given: 285

    Re: End of Game DG ISO Set - Part of a Bigger Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by gwoodclone View Post
    Brilliant!

    +1. Good call!

    Quote Originally Posted by Carr50010 View Post
    I think it is absurd to have Diante on the court for the last minute of the game.
    Please bench him,
    he has the worst luck,
    either he can not get a shot off,
    or shoots a poor shot,
    and he has never drawn a foul, unless it was a charge on him,

    Please just draw a play for the team, or a three point shot,
    and stop the one on one that we have been seeing.
    Is this a poem or what?



  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 324,300, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    CyCrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Rolling dirty in Roland.
    Posts
    15,157
    Points
    324,300
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 513
    Given: 92

    Re: End of Game DG ISO Set - Part of a Bigger Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamO View Post
    Ok, I've figured out why the real reason we always run the same DG ISO set at the end of close games. The fact that DG is the best scorer and ball-handler on the team is a plausible and logical reason for the coaching staff to go with this set, but you have to dig deeper.

    It would be great to send DG and Jamie (not to mention Jake) out with a nice NCAA tournament run to close out their college careers, but given the personnel situation at the beginning of the year the staff knew this was likely not going to happen with an at-large birth based on regular season performance.

    So that leaves winning the Big 12 tournament as the only viable path into the tourney. In the conference tournament all the teams are amped up, especially those in the middle to bottom of the pack who know it's their only chance left for an invite to the big one. It's very likely that many of the tournament games will be hard fought and come down to the wire, which is when our regular season strategy pays off.

    All the teams we face will be expecting Diante to drive to the hoop for a game winning shot, and that's when we surprise the **** out of them by finally running a motion offense with some screens for Scotty and JVB who hit the game winner or fire a quick pass to Ejim for the monster game-winning slam.

    Lutz seems like a squirrely guy, I'm guessing this was his idea.

    Finally someone gets it!



  9. #9
    All-Star
    Points: 20,523, Level: 43
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 227
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Sloup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    1,188
    Points
    20,523
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: End of Game DG ISO Set - Part of a Bigger Plan

    It's a totally avant-garde approach to basketball. Some call it crazy, I call it art.



  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 904,841, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    60,334
    Points
    904,841
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,795
    Given: 3,942

    Re: End of Game DG ISO Set - Part of a Bigger Plan

    Do we call this the "Rope-a-12" strategy?


    Kansas Must Be Destroyed

    Sic Semper Jayhawks




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  11. #11
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 13,573, Level: 35
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 477
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    AdamO's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    239
    Points
    13,573
    Level
    35
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 14

    Re: End of Game DG ISO Set - Part of a Bigger Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by timappelgate View Post
    I have a feeling we aren't blowing games on purpose just so we can surprise people in the Big 12 tournament. We are preparing the pick and roll at the end of the game for when we actually have a post present to screen/receive the ball (ie. White, Booker).
    You and your reasonable theories...



  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 351,261, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    20,180
    Points
    351,261
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 995
    Given: 126

    Re: End of Game DG ISO Set - Part of a Bigger Plan

    I would like to see someone like Ejim cut to the hoop once, just once on that play.


    It's all snark from here on out

  13. #13
    Speechless
    Points: 186,837, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ajk4st8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    15,737
    Points
    186,837
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 374
    Given: 935

    Re: End of Game DG ISO Set - Part of a Bigger Plan

    Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    I would like to see someone like Ejim cut to the hoop once, just once on that play.

    Gotta dribbe toward the hoop with the ball. That eliminates Jake, Scotty, Melvin and JVB.



  14. #14
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 17,015, Level: 39
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 235
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    TheAdmiral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Fridley, MN
    Posts
    275
    Points
    17,015
    Level
    39
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: End of Game DG ISO Set - Part of a Bigger Plan

    Annexation of Puerto Rico


    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. UNI
  • August 29, 2015
  • 06:00 PM