Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,900
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 79
    Given: 93

Some perspective on our non-conference schedule and thoughts on Colorado game...

My apologies if this has been discussed already somewhere in this forum, but I was down in the Boulder area for the game Tuesday night (more on that later) and I picked up a USA Today from Wednesday morning and held onto the sports section mostly so I could analyze the Sagarin college basketball ratings that USA Today puts out every Wednesday.

In particular I looked at the ratings of the teams we played in the non-conference part of the schedule and here's what I found;

Out of 345 teams and through games played on 1/31...(Iowa State is ranked 91st in the Sagarin rankings)

Northern Arizona - 157
    Alabama State - 335
    Drake - 244
    Creighton - 118
    Kennesaw State - 320
    Montana State - 224
    UNI (loss) - 87
    California (loss) - 69
    SE Missouri State - 331
    Iowa - 126
    Texas Southern - 236
    Dartmouth - 296
    Chicago State - 344
    Virginia - 131
    Northern Illinois - 261

Big 12 Conference;

Nebraska - 54
    Kansas - 2
    Baylor (W) - 64
    Oklahoma State - 74
    Missouri - 20
    Texas Tech - 145
    Oklahoma - 114
    Colorado - 68
    Kansas State - 47
    Texas A&M - 25
    Texas - 3

So...looking at the numbers; of our 13 non-conference wins, 4 of them are against teams who are rated to be among the worst 25 teams in college basketball. Another five of those wins are against teams ranked between 200-300. No wonder we went 13-2.

Baylor so far is our best victory.

To the game...I hate to say it, and it's no surprise anymore, but in terms of the "eye test" we just don't look very good. We heard from a very reliable source that Jamie was still sick, and he certainly looked like it. We looked very tired, and I'm sure that altitude might have had something to do with that. We were late getting out to a few three-point shooters, but Colorado would have beaten a lot of teams that night IMO. They have some talent.

My overriding thought coming out of the game is that Greg McDermott might be the worst hire in recent history for Iowa State athletics. This really is his mess he left us with. Other than a weird bunch of injuries there is no good reason why any college basketball team should be down to ten players, with two of those being mid-season walk-ons. I remember before the Creighton game there was a thread on here about whether or not it would be appropriate to boo McDermott. I didn't comment on that thread at the time, but after seeing firsthand the damage his mismanagement of our roster and players caused to our current team, I would let him have it if I could.

I will be happy if we can win two more games to end up with our first non-losing season (not necessarily winning, regular season would be 16-15, 1st round loss in the Big 12 tournament would make us 16-16). I think we have probably overacheived as it is.

It was pretty interesting and telling to see in print just how pathetic our non-conference schedule was, and before anyone asks I have no problem with us playing the teams we did. Other than Baylor, we have pretty much lost every game we've played to good teams, and even a couple of games to bad teams (Texas Tech, Oklahoma).

"The fact that anybody can say anything does not mean that anything anybody says is worth hearing"

Prospect
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Some perspective on our non-conference schedule and thoughts on Colorado game...

Get off the GMac's fault. He is gone and we have to build from here. He has NOTHING to do with our successes or failures during this basketball season. Many of the players are new faces and in a totally new system. What happens from here on out is about Fred and his program.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Some perspective on our non-conference schedule and thoughts on Colorado game...

Get off the GMac's fault. He is gone and we have to build from here. He has NOTHING to do with our successes or failures during this basketball season. Many of the players are new faces and in a totally new system. What happens from here on out is about Fred and his program.

So you honestly feel that the rate of attrition during the GMac era plays absolutely no part in our lack of depth this season and our current struggles?

"The fact that anybody can say anything does not mean that anything anybody says is worth hearing"

All-Star
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,399
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Sevey View Post
    Agreed. Many were crediting Hoiberg with non-con success and GMac with current conference woes simply because they want to believe.

Prospect
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUChippewa View Post

So you honestly feel that the rate of attrition during the GMac era plays absolutely no part in our lack of depth this season and our current struggles?
    I'm saying I'm tried of the constant blame on GMac for everything that happens with our basketball program. It's funny that when we were winning non-conference games everyone was excited and everything was about the great job Fred is doing (I agree), but when things went south during the conference season, now it falls back on Mac. Let it go and MOVE ON. What happened is over, it will not change what our team will or will not be in the future.

Addict
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 245
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 42

Everyone blamed Wayne for a good 3 years after he was gone for Greg's failures. I think it's reasonable to put this year on Greg.

Going forward into next year there's no excuses but this year is definitely Greg's fault. Next year is definitely Fred's baby. Those are his guys.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 3

Going into the season, depth and size were major concerns. These concerns have turned into reality as we are beat up underneath and can't run forever due to no fresh legs. The fact that we have only been blown out of the water 2 times amazes me.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

It's funny that when we were winning non-conference games everyone was excited and everything was about the great job Fred is doing (I agree), but when things went south during the conference season, now it falls back on Mac.

We didn't have anything to complain about in the non-conference part of the season because we went 13-2 and even got some votes in the Top 25 poll. Playing the bad teams we did disguised a lot of our weaknesses. Now that we are going up against and losing to good (and some not so good) teams all our warts have come to the surface, including a serious lack of depth.

I can agree that it's time to move on, but I also beleive in accountability. Not much we can do anymore to hold McD accountable, but IMO he deserves every bit of harsh criticism he gets. Message boards like this are a good place to vent.

All-Star
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

McDermott had no problem placing blame on the Wayne Morgan era for his struggles. In fact, he used that to his advantage in contract negotiations. I have no problem blaming McDermott for the way he left our program.

Pro
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,287
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by ISUChippewa View Post

How many of WMs players returned when GM took over?

Let Me Mayor Coach!

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

How many of WMs players returned when GM took over?

Not many, I'll grant you that, but WM didn't have nearly the rate of roster turnover and attrition that GM did. Hell, even LE didn't have as many players leave as GM, and LE had a considerable amount in his own right.

Pro
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 509
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Sevey View Post
    You really think GM has nothing to do with the state of ISU's roster? Get real.

Prospect
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by AlleyAddict View Post
    You really think GM has nothing to do with the state of ISU's roster? Get real.
    Did I say anything about the state of our roster??? I simply said quit living in the past, it is over. I am in Fred's corner and hope he does great things--PRESENT TENSE!!!

Pro
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 920
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 14

In actuality, it's a combination of both coaches. McDermott didn't leave us with a lot of great talent. We lost a few players before McDermott left and after Hoiberg was hired that would have been a huge help this year. Blame can be associated partly to each coach for the situation we are in this year. The same can be said for WM and McD. When WM left, McD had a bare roster. Not all of that can be attributed to WM though, because some left after McD got the job. You have to put some responsibility on the current coaches to retain the talent that carries over from the previous regime.

Pro
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,068
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

GMac did much worse than leave us with no talent. He recruited and played DG! He then left Fred with only one point guard.... DG. GMac is a horrible horrible person for what he has done to Fred.