Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Any Bowlers out there?

I am in a bowling league and just started to throw a hook ball. I have been practicing but I just cant get it to hit consistantly. Although, my scores have gone up quite a bit. My average is a 108 and last Thursday I bowled 105-166-155 and sunday i bowled 108-129-174. I hit my mark nearly every time but i have a feeling it has something to do with mechanics. Any ideas on what i should be looking for?

All-Star
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 175
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 45

Re: Any Bowlers out there?

Do you have your own ball or do you throw with a house ball?

Yeah TOAST!!!

Pro
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 180
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 14

is your hook consistent yet, sometimes you may put more or less spin, especially if its new to you. Amount of oil on the lanes can affect your spot as well...you might want to consult Jesus Quintana

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day".-Frank Sinatra

@cyfert26 on Twitter

Rookie
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 241
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I just got one from the local pro shop that was used but it fit my hand perfect. Its an Ebonite Vortex V2 strong. I've only been doing it for 2 weeks so I know there are going to be some growing pains but I have liked the results so far.

Addict
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,796
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 121
    Given: 46

Do you have your own balled, drilled by a bowling professional? That is the first step in throwing a consistent hook ball. You need to get this done at a bowling alley or a store that specializes in bowling equipment. Next would be the ball itself. They are actually weighted now to emphasize hook or lack there of.

The next step would be mechanics, but without knowing what you have for a ball and who drilled it, the next step would just be a guessing game at this point.

The key is practice though, bowling once a week, 3 games really isn't enough to develop solid consistency. At least at first. you need to go a couple times a week and practice. Once you get to a level you are happy with, then league night should be enough.

I became a decent league hack a few years back. Averaging in the upper 180s. and hitting 200 at least once a series. The key is just repetition. using the same motion every time, but not just for first ball, but getting to know how to throw spares as well. There are nights you just aren't going to hit the strike zone, so the key is to pick up every spare.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Wallruss64 View Post
    I just got one from the local pro shop that was used but it fit my hand perfect. Its an Ebonite Vortex V2 strong. I've only been doing it for 2 weeks so I know there are going to be some growing pains but I have liked the results so far.
    It's can be a long road. I started bowling at 22 and averaged around 130. 8 years later I average right around 200. I'm assuming the ball you got was either used or just one stashed in the storeroom forever since Ebonite hasn't released a ball in the Vortex series in a few seasons.

Getting back to your original question. The thing that really changed my bowling was adjusting my backswing. You do not need a high backswing to generate speed and pin carry. My rule of thumb, never take your backswing further than parallel to the ground. Things can start getting out of whack by going higher than that. I would start there. If you think you have issues with hand/wrist position upon release you could look at getting a wrist support of some type. Some purists can look down on wrist supports but I have used one for years and love it.

One more thing to look at is your aiming point on the lane. The best practice is to use the closest thing to aim at. I for instance use the dots that are about 10 ft down the lane. When I throw the ball, I keep my eye on that target all the way through the swing and I watch to make sure my ball rolls across it. You're not going to be perfect every time (if you were you should be out earning money on tour).

In the end, I and maybe others can offer you whatever advice you want, but the best piece of advice I can give is shell out a few bucks and get a lesson from a USBC trained coach. It can get very hard to try to coach people over the internet without actually watching you throw a few balls.

Yeah TOAST!!!

Pro
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,145
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 3

Are you using the dots to set your target?

Let Me Mayor Coach!

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 202
    Given: 67

Agreed with everything here so far. You may need to have the ball re-drilled. Having a ball properly drilled for a fingertip type grip is really key, and the likelyhood of finding one off the rack that is exactly what it needs to be seems like a long shot. Find a bowling alley that has a pro-shop and have them measure you and take a look at the ball to see if some changes need to be made.

The second issue is just lots of practice. You need a consistant release or else you are going to have changes in the way your ball moves on the lane. Hitting your mark each time is part of it, but until the speed and spin is the same, the ball is going to be moving around. You can't expect to have that locked in after just a couple weeks. Even if you stick with it, years from now there will still be nights where you struggle with this. Little changes that you don't even realize you are doing can throw things off, and that is what makes the game a challenge.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 259
    Given: 1,022

I'm at 185 handicap and throw a Cherry Vibe. Works at certain alleys but not others without synthetic floors. If I'm playing on wood I can't throw consistently at all.

Are you playing at one place only? If so, make sure you get a ball that fits that type of lane. Do you roll on the shaboss?

While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

Walk On
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

It's all in the amount of games that you throw. Trust in what everyone has said so far, it takes time.

I've been throwing a hook for 5 years and still dont have it down as I don't spend the time at the lanes like I need to. One league night per week only frustrates! Learn the lane oil patterns by talking with the owner, and he will also help you with your mechanics as well...just ask him to watch you! Simple things like "shaking the hand" on your release differently makes a huge difference on how the ball hooks...you may think you are releasing the same but one slight difference makes the ball look and react different.

My wife tells me every week at league to focus on 3 things when I go up...focus on your mark, tuck your elbow and "shake the hand" on release, everything else will fall into line. Good luck!

"2nd place is the 1st loser." - Dale Earnhardt
    "Cheating only means you care about winning." - Red Green

Rookie
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I use the first set of marks to aim. Another problem I am having is slowing down my throw. I am used to just chucking it down the lane but I realize I've got to slow it down and let the ball do the work. It just feels like im gonna drop the dang thing.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Wallruss64 View Post
    I use the first set of marks to aim. Another problem I am having is slowing down my throw. I am used to just chucking it down the lane but I realize I've got to slow it down and let the ball do the work. It just feels like im gonna drop the dang thing.
    You definitely don't want to be chucking the ball down the lane to throw a good hook. The ball has to be able to read the lanes and react to them. Do you have grips installed in the ball or is it just the finger holes?

Yeah TOAST!!!

Rookie
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysideup View Post
    You definitely don't want to be chucking the ball down the lane to throw a good hook. The ball has to be able to read the lanes and react to them. Do you have grips installed in the ball or is it just the finger holes?
    the ball has grips installed and the owner of the alley looked at it and said it was drilled as close as you could get. Im pretty sure i just need more practice with it and get some muscle memory so i know how its supposed to feel when i throw a good ball. But, I am getting better at slowing my ball speed.

Addict
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 405
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Another easy tip, which I do throwing my hook. Wipe your ball off before every throw. As it collects oil the consistency your looking for decreases.

I think on average I throw around 12-13 mph on a 14lb ball.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks