Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 63
    Given: 63

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 533
    Given: 149

Re: The White Stripes are no more

As long as Jack White continues to make music, I don't really care. After "Consoler of the Lonely" came, saw, and conquered, it seemed like there wasn't much use for The White Stripes any more.

And really, any band where Jack White is the lead guitar/vocalist is just as good as the White Stripes (if not better, like The Raconteurs). There really wasn't anything all that special about Meg as a drummer, IMO.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Bench Warmer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

That's too bad. I always felt the Stripes were Jack at his most artistic. The Raconteurs are him making big loud rock music with his buddies. He's not telling the same stories or experimenting with instrumentation on those. Not being hard on the Raconteurs albums, they are well made and fun music.

Legend
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 438
    Given: 646

The White Stripes have been my favorite band of the last 20 years. I like the other side projects that JW has going but none have been as good as the White Stripes.

What really pisses me off is that I had tickets to a performance by them in Lincoln, NE a couple of years back but Meg got stage fright or something weird and had to cncel the rest of the tour.

Addict
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,048
    Given: 11

That sucks. The White Stripes are far and away my favoriate band. The Raconteurs stuff has been solid, but its not the Stripes. I can see why some people don't like Meg, but Jack White said it best in their last documentary-- their dymanic wouldn't work with Neil Pert behind the drums.

Legend
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 438
    Given: 646

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan32 View Post
    That sucks. The White Stripes are far and away my favoriate band. The Raconteurs stuff has been solid, but its not the Stripes. I can see why some people don't like Meg, but Jack White said it best in their last documentary-- their dymanic wouldn't work with Neil Pert behind the drums.
    You're officially invited to my 8 hour marathon tailgate of white stripes only music.

Rookie
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 504
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

One of my favorite bands that I never got to see live. I think the White Stripes were by far the best thing Jack White has done.

"Bring it all to the table. Don't hold nothin' back," he said. "I want you. I want the ball. I want your head. I throw my body into 'em and hit them." - #23 Leonard Johnson

Speechless
    Overall activity: 66.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 876
    Given: 608

Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    The White Stripes have been my favorite band of the last 20 years. I like the other side projects that JW has going but none have been as good as the White Stripes.

What really pisses me off is that I had tickets to a performance by them in Lincoln, NE a couple of years back but Meg got stage fright or something weird and had to cncel the rest of the tour.
    Maybe that is why things have gone silent for so long and he went to other bands. She could not face the music. It happens.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

All-Star
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,311
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 154

Meh, not worried about it. And this is coming from a huge White Stripes fan.

1) They basically haven't been together for several years anyhow.
    2) Jack White is the talent behind the band, and will continue to make killer music, perhaps using different venues.
    3) Guarantee they will play again as the White Stripes. Just not anytime soon.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,288
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 79
    Given: 79

Media rock critics everywhere mourn.

All-Star
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 32

The elitists elitist ^^^^^ lulz.

That being said, this is what my Warner Brothers rep sent me about the matter.

The White Stripes would like to announce that today, February 2nd, 2011, their band has officially ended and will make no further new recordings or perform live.

The reason is not due to artistic differences or lack of wanting to continue, nor any health issues as both Meg and Jack are feeling fine and in good health.

It is for a myriad of reasons, but mostly to preserve what is beautiful and special about the band and have it stay that way.

Meg and Jack want to thank every one of their fans and admirers for the incredible support they have given throughout the 13 plus years of The White Stripes’ intense and incredible career.

Third Man Records will continue to put out unreleased live and studio recordings from The White Stripes in their Vault subscription record club, as well as through regular channels.

Both Meg and Jack hope this decision isn’t met with sorrow by their fans but that it is seen as a positive move done out of respect for the art and music that the band has created. It is also done with the utmost respect to those fans who’ve shared in those creations, with their feelings considered greatly.

With that in mind the band have this to say:

“The White Stripes do not belong to Meg and Jack anymore. The White Stripes belong to you now and you can do with it whatever you want. The beauty of art and music is that it can last forever if people want it to. Thank you for sharing this experience. Your involvement will never be lost on us and we are truly grateful.”

Sincerely,

Meg and Jack White
    The White Stripes

Scientific > Heady

Speechless
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 533
    Given: 149

Quote Originally Posted by isukendall View Post
    Meh, not worried about it. And this is coming from a huge White Stripes fan.

1) They basically haven't been together for several years anyhow.
    2) Jack White is the talent behind the band, and will continue to make killer music, perhaps using different venues.
    3) Guarantee they will play again as the White Stripes. Just not anytime soon.
    Yup. Couldn't really agree more.

One big difference between The White Stripes and Jack's other projects is that he lets his blues side out a lot more with the Stripes, which is a big part of what drew me into the band in the first place. If he infused the Raconteurs dynamic with a little more filth, and a little more blues... watch out.

Cranking "Death Letter" right now.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Pro
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,364
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I remember seeing the video for "Fell in Love with a Girl" on VH1 back in 2001, since MTV had already pretty much stopped playing music by then, and just being entranced by it. I loved the whole thing. The simplicity of the music, it good, but not overdone, and the amazing video my Michel Gondry hooked me right away. Sad to see them go, but they've pretty much been out of it for a while anyway.

Green hills for thy throne, and for crown a golden melody/Ringing in the hearts of all who bring thee love and loyalty/Dear Alma Mater, make our spirits great
    True and valiant like the bells of I-O-WA STATE!

And thank you Stumpy for this:

Addict
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,048
    Given: 11

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    Yup. Couldn't really agree more.

One big difference between The White Stripes and Jack's other projects is that he lets his blues side out a lot more with the Stripes, which is a big part of what drew me into the band in the first place. If he infused the Raconteurs dynamic with a little more filth, and a little more blues... watch out.

Cranking "Death Letter" right now.
    I really think people under-estimate what Meg brought to the White Stripes. She was definitely limited, but the fact that she was willing to take the back seat and let Jack be as creative as he is made the Stripes. What do you think the Stripes would have sounded like with Jack and John Bonham?

Addict
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 160
    Given: 148

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    As long as Jack White continues to make music, I don't really care. After "Consoler of the Lonely" came, saw, and conquered, it seemed like there wasn't much use for The White Stripes any more.

And really, any band where Jack White is the lead guitar/vocalist is just as good as the White Stripes (if not better, like The Raconteurs). There really wasn't anything all that special about Meg as a drummer, IMO.
    Normally I agree...not today. No, no. IMO, the Stripes are much more "organic", if you will, than his other projects (Raconteurs, Dead Weather). Just two people rocking out. They trick you into buying a rock album, you put it in and it turns out to be a blues album. Just guitars and drums. Not over produced garbage like you hear every day on the radio. Just music. Great music.

Dont get me wrong, The Raconteurs absolutely rock. But where are you going to find another Ball and a Biscuit? How about Little Acorns? Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground? Do? I mean, I could go on all day! His other projects are great, they just sound too clean to me. I like it raw.