Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 196
    Given: 90

8-15-07 scrimmage

For ISU web site:

Sounds like Bass is doing a lot of damage for a 3rd string running back.

AMES, Iowa -- Saying everyone was in the mix and that no one is safe as a No. 1 or No. 2 in the two deep, Iowa State head football coach Gene Chizik worked his Cyclone football team overtime in Wednesday's scrimmage, literally. Chizik said it was a productive practice with officials present to work as the Cyclones ran through some overtime scenarios.

“(Overtime) is something that doesn’t come up often but you want your team to have a comfort level with it going into the extra period,” Chizik said. “Right now everyone is still both a No. 1 and a No. 2. We are running guys in and out to judge them in certain situations. Ultimately, you really don’t know what you have until game day. You may find out you’re unproductive with your starter because he isn’t as good in game situations.”

Chizik hinted that veteran tailback Jason Scales is the leader at that position after three scrimmages.

“If I had to make a decision today, Jason would be our starter in part because of his experience,” Chizik said. “But I don’t have to make that decision today.”

Chizik said the team has not yet started specific preparations for the 7 p.m. Aug. 30 season opener against Kent State in Ames.

“We are not at that point yet,” Chizik said. “We have got a long way to go. I like the effort but we are still worried about how we are doing the things we need to learn and do. Our focus is inward.”

Iowa State defensive tackle Bryce Braaksma said nothing is set.

“The coaches are not going to make any final decisions this week,” Braaksma said. “We have a lot of competition and need to get guys ready to step up if somebody goes down.”

Braaksma said offensive coordinator Robert McFarland is keeping the defense on its toes.

“(McFarland) has a big playbook and we saw it all today, with deep passes, screens and reverses,” Braaksma said. “He really mixes it up.”

Wide receiver R. J. Sumrall said no one is safe.

“It’s kind of fun, proving yourself all over again, to your teammates, your coaches and then the fans and opponents,” Sumrall said. “The competition is strong. Everybody is trying to get on the field and no one knows what will happen. On offense today, we did everything, whatever the defense would give us."

The Cyclones will practice twice on Thursday.

Highlights

On the first series for the first-team offense, QB Bret Meyer connected with WR Todd Blythe for an 18-yard gain and RB Jason Harris carried the ball twice for 17 yards.
    On the second-team offense’s first possession, RB J.J. Bass carried the ball five times for 45 yards and caught one pass for 20 yards before scoring a TD on a tough five-yard run.
    On the first-team defense’s second possession, LB Alvin Bowen made a tackle for a loss and LB Jon Banks recovered a fumble. DE Chase Hurtig also recovered a fumble later on in the scrimmage.
    On the first-team offense’s third possession, Bass scored his second TD of the scrimmage on a 28-yard run.
    In other action, QB Philip Bates carried the ball five times for 27 yards on an offensive possession.
    Overtime

Coach Chizik simulated two overtime sessions, sending captains out to copy game-like overtime situations.
    Meyer hit TE Ben Barkema for a 12-yard gain and Bass carried the ball one time for five yards before K Bret Culbertson drilled a 31-yard field goal.
    On the ensuing possession, Harris carried the ball twice for 13 yards, WR Milan Moses caught a 10-yard pass before K Josh Griebahn evened the score with a 29-yard field goal.
    WR Euseph Messiah made a leaping catch in the next possession to put the offense inside the 10, before Bass scored on a one-yard plunge. Bass then broke three tackles to score on a nifty two-point conversion run.
    RB Rickey Thompson scored on a five-yard run, but the defense stopped the ensuing two-point conversion.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 619
    Given: 389

Re: 8-15-07 scrimmage

We are already experts at overtime. Just ask Dan.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 921
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 185

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    We are already experts at overtime. Just ask Dan.
    Always defer in overtime...right?!?!

#BEATIOWA

Pro
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 151
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by ripvdub View Post
    Always defer in overtime...right?!?!
    I think you need to WIN A TOSS before you can defer...something that we never seemed to do

Green hills for thy throne, and for crown a golden melody/Ringing in the hearts of all who bring thee love and loyalty/Dear Alma Mater, make our spirits great
    True and valiant like the bells of I-O-WA STATE!

And thank you Stumpy for this:

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by sodakjoe View Post
    I think you need to WIN A TOSS before you can defer...something that we never seemed to do

Except that one time.

I think that it would have been OK, just a mistake and would have gone away pretty quickly, except the coach admitted to not understanding the strategy of winning the coin flip.

I'm going to miss Dan. I think the only people that may miss Dan more are the fine people who make Jack Daniels. i guess I should say THEY will miss me having Dan around. I should have bought stock.

Jeffrey A Crawford

All-Star
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by darts180 View Post
    Except that one time.

I think that it would have been OK, just a mistake and would have gone away pretty quickly, except the coach admitted to not understanding the strategy of winning the coin flip.

I'm going to miss Dan. I think the only people that may miss Dan more are the fine people who make Jack Daniels. i guess I should say THEY will miss me having Dan around. I should have bought stock.
    ku game in 05. i was there, and boy did i get ******!

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

I would like to know who is fumbling... It is great the D recovers, but who else is supposed to ya know??? I'm just curious if its Harris still having trouble or just who it would be. I know these things are supposed to be positive but dang they leave a lot of questions.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Wasn't the first time it happened against Wyoming??

A three legged dog walks into a bar and says, "I'm lookin' for the man who shot my paw."

Pro
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 166

Quote Originally Posted by CLONE2THEBONE View Post
    Wasn't the first time it happened against Wyoming??
    You are correct, we gave away a big lead and got beat in overtime. Sound familiar? I believe Troy Davis had a huge game.

Go Cyclones!!

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by clonerules View Post
    ku game in 05. i was there, and boy did i get ******!
    As soon as it went to overtime, I said "Game's over, we're done." I then went on to say that we were going to sputter on offense, and then miss a field goal to lose.

It made it worse cause I was right...

Swarm & Punish
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 555
    Given: 1,081

I read this three times... and each time i got goosebumps:

Braaksma said offensive coordinator Robert McFarland is keeping the defense on its toes.

“(McFarland) has a big playbook and we saw it all today, with deep passes, screens and reverses,” Braaksma said. “He really mixes it up.”

Wide receiver R. J. Sumrall said no one is safe.

“It’s kind of fun, proving yourself all over again, to your teammates, your coaches and then the fans and opponents,” Sumrall said. “The competition is strong. Everybody is trying to get on the field and no one knows what will happen. On offense today, we did everything, whatever the defense would give us."
    -keep.

The first and best victory is to conquer self; to be conquered by self is of all things most shameful and vile. - Plato

May you only need 39 acres to turn your rig around. - keep

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 192
    Given: 174

I remember sitting at that Wyoming game and we won the toss and Mac chose what endzone we were going to play in. I couldn't believe it. I was a sophomore in HS and was screaming at the top of my lungs to PLAY DEFENSE FIRST!

Exaggeration is a BILLION times worse than understating.

Addict
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 50
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 8

Did they leave out in the play highlights who forced the fumble, or were the fumbles... *gulp*... unforced?

Go Sssssssssyclones!