Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 18

stop saying stars dont matter...

they dont matter when discussing 2 or 3 star athletes, and some walk ons etc...

however without seeing tape of anyone ever... i would take any texas, usc recruiting class over ours any day of the week... why? well because they have 15 4-5 star atheletes that we dont! duh... all morning long on the radio travis kept saying how there are just as many 5 star busts as 5 star players that turn out good. okay well i gurantee that i win if i get all the top 50 recruits, and you get the players ranked like 500-550. gurantee it. so im guessing that they mean something.

now this doesnt mean that a 3 star cant be amazing, and go onto the NFL, it just means that if you have a class with all 4 or 5 star recruits and compare it to a class with only 2 and 3 star recruits, im guessing the class with all 4 and 5 star guys have more 1st team all americans in a few years. its a numbers game... they dont all pan out, but more do then the class with only 2 or 3 stars...

also if 5 star guys can be over rated, and should have only been a 3 star... then 3 star players can also be over rated, and should only of been a 1 star.. it works both ways.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: stop saying stars dont matter...

Last years University of Texas team would like to disagree with you.

You can't die. That would upset the equilibrium in the Cave.
    Warning: Posts contain 98% post-sarcastic content.
    Hoiball

Speechless
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 526
    Given: 367

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 542
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 17

i wonder what mack brown (or whoever) thought when they saw colt mccoy

he was a 3 star and 6'0 and not known as a runner

here's a program that sees 500 of those guys every friday night in texas... sure he put up great numbers, but what was the x-factor?

vince young was a 5-star 6'5 instant super star in the waiting

Pro
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,145
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by Tedcyclone View Post
    they dont matter when discussing 2 or 3 star athletes, and some walk ons etc...

however without seeing tape of anyone ever... i would take any texas, usc recruiting class over ours any day of the week... why? well because they have 15 4-5 star atheletes that we dont! duh... all morning long on the radio travis kept saying how there are just as many 5 star busts as 5 star players that turn out good. okay well i gurantee that i win if i get all the top 50 recruits, and you get the players ranked like 500-550. gurantee it. so im guessing that they mean something.

now this doesnt mean that a 3 star cant be amazing, and go onto the NFL, it just means that if you have a class with all 4 or 5 star recruits and compare it to a class with only 2 and 3 star recruits, im guessing the class with all 4 and 5 star guys have more 1st team all americans in a few years. its a numbers game... they dont all pan out, but more do then the class with only 2 or 3 stars...

also if 5 star guys can be over rated, and should have only been a 3 star... then 3 star players can also be over rated, and should only of been a 1 star.. it works both ways.
    so your point is only recruit 4 and 5 star guys even if it means ending up with a recruiting class in football of 4 guys?

Let Me Mayor Coach!

Addict
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 135
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 7

They mean something but not as important as some people make them out to be. It's more about the fit for the program that wants them and their ability to improve and develop once they arrive on campus. Just because a guy is a 2 or 3 star recruit doesn't mean they have hit their ceiling. We've seen some of those types of guys turn into All Big 12 type of players, some even go onto the NFL while some 4 star guys have been busts.

I don't get too caught up in the star ratings, I'd like to see ESPN take their top 150 guys and re-rate them 5 years after they signed and see just how they rated out after their college careers. I'm betting a lot more than you'd think don't rate out as high.

Go Cubs Go!

All-Star
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,165
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith86 View Post
    ahem, that was ONE year. every other year for the past decade they have DESTROYED us and are generally in contention for a bcs bid if not the national title.

hardly a good example. on top of that, there is more to football than just the players you have. the coaches have a lot to do with the success of a team.

that was a terrible year for texas and we only had one more win than them.

Pro
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 902
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dualthreat View Post
    i wonder what mack brown (or whoever) thought when they saw colt mccoy

he was a 3 star and 6'0 and not known as a runner

here's a program that sees 500 of those guys every friday night in texas... sure he put up great numbers, but what was the x-factor?

vince young was a 5-star 6'5 instant super star in the waiting
    they dont always matter for a couple players in your class, but they do matter on the overall class... if our overall recruiting class avg was 2 stars, and USCs was an avg of 4... im going to bet they have more great players then we end up with.

now as you can tell by Auburns QB last year, one player at QB can make a huge difference... Thats why Texas was terrible last year.. use to Vince, and Mccoy, and then cant replace them in their system.

there are always exceptions, but im guessing the top 10 ranked QBs every year end up better then the any other 10 combined qbs. you can have 20-30 or 50-60 ill always take the top 10. you may occasionally get 1 better one, but ill bet i usually have 5 better ones.

Last edited by Tedcyclone; 02-01-2011 at 12:22 PM.

Pro
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 902
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyforce View Post
    so your point is only recruit 4 and 5 star guys even if it means ending up with a recruiting class in football of 4 guys?

no, not at all, thats just stupid. my point was that there is something to the overall ranking of classes.

you fill your team with what you can get. my point is if your overall class is a 4 star avg ( assuming you have a full recruiting class) its better then a 2 star avg ( full recruiting class). Why? Well because your odds of having more great players is better. Simple math.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Tedcyclone View Post
    they dont always matter for a couple players in your class, but they do matter on the overall class... if our overall recruiting class avg was 2 stars, and USCs was an avg of 4... im going to bet they have more great players then we end up with.

no as you can tell by Auburns QB last year, that one player at QB can make a huge difference... Thats why Texas was terrible last year.. used to Vince, and Mccoy, and then cant replace them in their system.

there are always exceptions, but im guessing the top 10 ranked QBs every year end up better then the any other 10 combined qbs. you can have 20-30 or 50-60 ill always take the top 10. you may occasionally get 1 better one, but ill bet i usually have 5 better ones.
    yea im not arguing with your statement. just wondering what they saw in him is all

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CYdTracked View Post
    They mean something but not as important as some people make them out to be. It's more about the fit for the program that wants them and their ability to improve and develop once they arrive on campus. Just because a guy is a 2 or 3 star recruit doesn't mean they have hit their ceiling. We've seen some of those types of guys turn into All Big 12 type of players, some even go onto the NFL while some 4 star guys have been busts.

I don't get too caught up in the star ratings, I'd like to see ESPN take their top 150 guys and re-rate them 5 years after they signed and see just how they rated out after their college careers. I'm betting a lot more than you'd think don't rate out as high.
    theres a TON of factors that play into that other than just ESPN was wrong

collegiate coaching staff
    maturity
    player development varies from program to program
    position changes
    current players on roster (matt cassel)
    and the fact that ESPN/rivals aren't ranking players based on how good they'll be when they're seniors, but rather how quickly they can contribute.
    others..

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 132
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by CYdTracked View Post

They actually did this. Notre Dame's Class of 2007 QB to WR combo pans out. - ESPN A lot of busts. Bo Williams was in this class. He was 106.

Pro
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,655
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

Is it really worth throwing down over? Step away from the gun counter.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Yes13 View Post
    They actually did this. Notre Dame's Class of 2007 QB to WR combo pans out. - ESPN A lot of busts. Bo Williams was in this class. He was 106.
    i remember when Cameron Colvin came out of high school. He was a 5-star WR and one of the top players in the nation. He and a HS teammate were heading to oregon and about a week before they left his LB teammate was shot and killed. Colvin had already lost his mom and dad and then his best friend.

Colvin had NFL speed, size, talent and work ethic. But got injured really bad twice and turned out to be "a bust"

look him up, great kid, great story. too bad things didn't work out.

Addict
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith86 View Post
    Put down the kool aid. You are talking one year and Texas actually finished with the same overall record as us. I like our players, but we don't complete with Texas in overall recruiting. The star ratings might be flawed but they are not completely inaccurate.