Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

Mike Nurse Interview

Mike Nurse was interviewed by Cyclones.com. One quote stood out of that article :

"It was a great feeling to go into Kansas and win a game that no one thought we were going to win," Nurse recollected. "We were down the whole game and we came back to win at the end. The last five minutes of the game was around the time we started owning games. That was just another game where it happened. It was a wonderful feeling."

Frankly, I think our players (probably coaches too)think too much towards the end games instead of just playing, causing turnovers and scoring droughts. Hopefully soon we'll have a small lead in the final minutes of a game and actually close it out; giving the players and coaches some confidence to build on.

Link : http://www.cyclones.com/ViewArticle....CLID=205086994

Last edited by Billups06; 01-31-2011 at 03:36 PM.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 460
    Given: 900

Re: Mike Nurse Interview

I like Mike!

EDIT: This article got me to thinking about what a luxury it was to have your 3 step over to handle point guard duties when JT needed a blow. What an asset Kantrail was! What an incredible team that was. Didn't Mike play some point out of necessity the year before?

Last edited by VeloClone; 01-31-2011 at 03:59 PM.
    "There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

All-Star
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 488
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 0

cyclones.com does a great job with stories like that!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 284
    Given: 245

Quote Originally Posted by Billups06 View Post
    Mike Nurse was interviewed by Cyclones.com. One quote stood out of that article :

"It was a great feeling to go into Kansas and win a game that no one thought we were going to win," Nurse recollected. "We were down the whole game and we came back to win at the end. The last five minutes of the game was around the time we started owning games. That was just another game where it happened. It was a wonderful feeling."

Frankly, I think our players (probably coaches too)think too much towards the end games instead of just playing, causing turnovers and scoring droughts. Hopefully soon we'll have a small lead in the final minutes of a game and actually close it out; giving the players and coaches some confidence to build on.

Link : Nurse Reflects On The Magical 1999-2000 Cyclone Season - Iowa State University Athletics Official Web Site - www.CYCLONES.com - The home of Iowa State Cyclone Sports
    That is what the pros do.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 19

Mike Nurse is an all time fan favorite. What a great guy!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 929
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 137
    Given: 25

Quote Originally Posted by Billups06 View Post

Link : Nurse Reflects On The Magical 1999-2000 Cyclone Season - Iowa State University Athletics Official Web Site - www.CYCLONES.com - The home of Iowa State Cyclone Sports
    We play tight at the end of games, no question about that. We also seem afraid to let anyone besides Garrett make a play. The kids on this team have never known anything but losing in B12 play, when they get a lead late the seem to play like they are trying not to lose, instead of playing to win, they seem like they are just hoping that clock will speed up and time will run out.

Winning breeds confidence, we've already seen it earlier this season, but it's not an overnight process. That team Nurse was on was so tough and just had a "there is no way are we losing this ******* game" attitude when it came to the end of games. I'm hoping Allen will bring some of that to the team next season.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,768
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 119
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by CyJack13 View Post
    We play tight at the end of games, no question about that. We also seem afraid to let anyone besides Garrett make a play. The kids on this team have never known anything but losing in B12 play, when they get a lead late the seem to play like they are trying not to lose, instead of playing to win, they seem like they are just hoping that clock will speed up and time will run out.

Winning breeds confidence, we've already seen it earlier this season, but it's not an overnight process. That team Nurse was on was so tough and just had a "there is no way are we losing this ******* game" attitude when it came to the end of games. I'm hoping Allen will bring some of that to the team next season.

You could just see the guys tensing up with about 2 minutes left on Saturday. Scotty missed a layup right around then and he had just made almost the EXACT same shot a couple of minutes earlier. You've got to feel for those guys because they just don't have any confidence in themselves.

I kind of feel that they just need a nice grandma type of figure to give them a great big hug and pat on the back at the end of these games :)

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 993
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 43

Talent and toughness its what its about. Nurse mentioned high-low game, which is what we are sorely missing. The lack of one true scorer in the pain really hurts. Can you imagine just one good decent forward who could score in the paint, JVB and a post player playing high-low would be great.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,200
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 41

I loved hearing Pete yell, "Nurse for threeeeeee.......goooooooooooood".

"We are first and foremost an educational institution that values integrity, honesty and treating others with fairness and respect".

-ISU President Gregory Geoffroy; circa May 2003.

Pro
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 314
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 50

I miss that season

Quote Originally Posted by CloneinWDSM View Post
    LOL ya right. If we win 9 games, I'll wax my entire body.

Pro
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 302
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 16

Quote Originally Posted by Cyched View Post
    I miss that season
    I remember going to three huge games that year against Oklahoma State, Texas and the Auburn game up in Minneapolis...I can't believe how good we were now.....I watched a replay of the UCLA game last year...our D and speed of our team were out of this world...