Update on Jamie Vanderbeken's health
    Publisher
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,263
    Given: 326

Update on Jamie Vanderbeken's health

As many of you know, Jamie Vanderbeken has been battling the flu. I asked Coach Hoiberg about JVB's progress during today's press conference.

“He was still not 100 percent yesterday. He didn’t do much in practice. He went through our walkthrough with Colorado. I know that he at least wants to get a sweat going when we get into Colorado…If we get into Colorado tonight. We will go over to the gym to shoot.”

Speechless
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 878
    Given: 610

Re: Update on Jamie Vanderbeken's health

Full of good news today, CW.

This sounds like we will have some players on the bench and behind the bench.

I suppose the next thing you will be telling us is that the plane is still on the tarmac at the airport waiting for deicing.

Last edited by Wesley; 01-31-2011 at 02:05 PM.
    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93
    Given: 30

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Full of good news today, CW.

This sounds like we will have some players on the bench and behind the bench.

I suppose the next thing you will be telling us is that the plane is still on the tarmac at the airport waiting for deicing.
    Honestly, the team getting stuck in Ames because of weather might not be the worst thing that could happen at this point...

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 67
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 2

So is this his reason for lack of hustle? I remember a play during the second half of the OU game where Diante put up a 3 and JVB was on the block and the rebound came his way and out of bounds in the corner and didn't move for the ball. But Jake Anderson was in the opposite corner and Ejim was on the opposite wing and both busted their tails across court to get the dang ball. If JVB isn't hitting his shots like on Saturday, Railey is a much better option because he isn't as big of a liability on the defensive end of the floor.

It was actually kind of comical on Saturday watching the game and seeing his lack of hustle. It kind of blows my mind how the last 2 games he has been the tallest person on the court by about 3 or 4 inches but yet only comes up with a 4 and 5 rebound game respectively and a guy like Jake Anderson has had 12 and 10 rebounds in those games.

Although I might be the only person that finds this frustrating.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,980
    Given: 2,372

This looks like a day to ban the publisher. Is that possible?

He has opened up a whole can of coupons I'd never want to cash.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 514
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 145
    Given: 15

When will some people understand that JVB is not a big 12 caliber starter. He should be coming off the bench to give us some 3 point shooting, but because we're so thin in the middle this year he has to try to do more, and he just doesn't have the skills to do it. Slow doesn't always mean lack of hustle.

Prospect
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 89
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

whew, thank goodness it is only the flu. When I read the tread title I thought maybe he got hurt by tripping over the 3 pt line. It certainly wouldn't be from playing defense and rebounding.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,980
    Given: 2,372

Quote Originally Posted by CYKOFAN View Post
    When will some people understand that JVB is not a big 12 caliber starter. He should be coming off the bench to give us some 3 point shooting, but because we're so thin in the middle this year he has to try to do more, and he just doesn't have the skills to do it. Slow doesn't always mean lack of hustle.
    Right. I could play one-on-one in the post against Royce White, and it would look like I wasn't trying at all.

The real answer would be that Royce is bigger, quicker, faster, stronger and more gifted than I am, and my hustle would look like a lack of effort. I would be terrible abused in that matchup, but it wouldn't be a lack of effort.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Prospect
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 89
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    Right. I could play one-on-one in the post against Royce White, and it would look like I wasn't trying at all.

The real answer would be that Royce is bigger, quicker, faster, stronger and more gifted than I am, and my hustle would look like a lack of effort. I would be terrible abused in that matchup, but it wouldn't be a lack of effort.

I understand your point, but when you are 6'11 and playing against Oklahoma (a team we should have beat) and you have more fouls than you do combined pts and rebounds something is wrong.

Addict
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,414
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 135
    Given: 205

Quote Originally Posted by RayShimley View Post
    Honestly, the team getting stuck in Ames because of weather might not be the worst thing that could happen at this point...
    Seriously, not a bad thing.

Except this game is on the road......in Colorado, a gym where we've historically taken some good teams against crummy CU squads and got our jocks handed to us. It might not make a diff.

"We are first and foremost an educational institution that values integrity, honesty and treating others with fairness and respect".

-ISU President Gregory Geoffroy; circa May 2003.

Pro
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by wcamnclone View Post
    So is this his reason for lack of hustle? I remember a play during the second half of the OU game where Diante put up a 3 and JVB was on the block and the rebound came his way and out of bounds in the corner and didn't move for the ball. But Jake Anderson was in the opposite corner and Ejim was on the opposite wing and both busted their tails across court to get the dang ball. If JVB isn't hitting his shots like on Saturday, Railey is a much better option because he isn't as big of a liability on the defensive end of the floor.

It was actually kind of comical on Saturday watching the game and seeing his lack of hustle. It kind of blows my mind how the last 2 games he has been the tallest person on the court by about 3 or 4 inches but yet only comes up with a 4 and 5 rebound game respectively and a guy like Jake Anderson has had 12 and 10 rebounds in those games.

Although I might be the only person that finds this frustrating.
    I see what you're saying, but Jamie is a guard in a center's body. His perimeter style never forced him to learn how to rebound. It's also not fair to compare him to Jake. Jake has unbelievable rebounding instinct. It's a treat watching him work. A guy Jamie's size would get to the NBA on rebounding ability alone with Jake's ability to find the ball.

Bottom line is that while Jamie has been one of the keys to the surprising success that we have had at times this season, but his limitations also show why the NBA isn't full of 7 foot deep threats. We would be more dangerous with Hammy down low so Jamie shooting 3's wasn't essentially a complete concession of the offensive glass. He's a solid player cast in the wrong role.

Addict
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93
    Given: 30

Quote Originally Posted by HOTDON View Post
    I see what you're saying, but Jamie is a guard in a center's body. His perimeter style never forced him to learn how to rebound. It's also not fair to compare him to Jake. Jake has unbelievable rebounding instinct. It's a treat watching him work. A guy Jamie's size would get to the NBA on rebounding ability alone with Jake's ability to find the ball.

Bottom line is that while Jamie has been one of the keys to the surprising success that we have had at times this season, but his limitations also show why the NBA isn't full of 7 foot deep threats. We would be more dangerous with Hammy down low so Jamie shooting 3's wasn't essentially a complete concession of the offensive glass. He's a solid player cast in the wrong role.
    So he's either a center who can't rebound or a guard who can't dribble. That's a tough spot to be.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 514
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 145
    Given: 15

JVB can shoot. Period. Imo when he plays too many minutes he loses his legs and his shot. That's why I think he would probably be more effective coming off the bench and playing less minutes. He can't keep up with the speed of the game for long periods. Unfortunately we're so thin this year he has to play a lot of minutes unless he gets in foul trouble, as he was doing earlier in the year.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 878
    Given: 610

Quote Originally Posted by CYKOFAN View Post
    JVB can shoot. Period. Imo when he plays too many minutes he loses his legs and his shot. That's why I think he would probably be more effective coming off the bench and playing less minutes. He can't keep up with the speed of the game for long periods. Unfortunately we're so thin this year he has to play a lot of minutes unless he gets in foul trouble, as he was doing earlier in the year.

Again, he was sick the last two games and was short on his shots. It should be back to normal by Saturday. DG and SC needs to hit the threes tonight.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.