Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Publisher
    Points: 917,864, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    ChrisMWilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    17,664
    Points
    917,864
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,504
    Given: 564

    Update on Jamie Vanderbeken's health

    As many of you know, Jamie Vanderbeken has been battling the flu. I asked Coach Hoiberg about JVB's progress during today's press conference.

    “He was still not 100 percent yesterday. He didn’t do much in practice. He went through our walkthrough with Colorado. I know that he at least wants to get a sweat going when we get into Colorado…If we get into Colorado tonight. We will go over to the gym to shoot.”



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 435,943, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 62.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    65,331
    Points
    435,943
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,534
    Given: 1,169

    Re: Update on Jamie Vanderbeken's health

    Full of good news today, CW.

    This sounds like we will have some players on the bench and behind the bench.

    I suppose the next thing you will be telling us is that the plane is still on the tarmac at the airport waiting for deicing.


    Last edited by Wesley; 01-31-2011 at 01:05 PM.
    Let Prohm's Posse Ride: Georges, Georgios, 3sus, Hallice, Deonte, Dustin, Abdel, Monte, Matt, and McKaT.

  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 144,766, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    RayShimley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Stillwater, MN
    Posts
    6,112
    Points
    144,766
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 155
    Given: 34

    Re: Update on Jamie Vanderbeken's health

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Full of good news today, CW.

    This sounds like we will have some players on the bench and behind the bench.

    I suppose the next thing you will be telling us is that the plane is still on the tarmac at the airport waiting for deicing.
    Honestly, the team getting stuck in Ames because of weather might not be the worst thing that could happen at this point...



  4. #4
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 7,355, Level: 25
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 195
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    wcamnclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fargo, ND
    Posts
    300
    Points
    7,355
    Level
    25
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 2

    Re: Update on Jamie Vanderbeken's health

    So is this his reason for lack of hustle? I remember a play during the second half of the OU game where Diante put up a 3 and JVB was on the block and the rebound came his way and out of bounds in the corner and didn't move for the ball. But Jake Anderson was in the opposite corner and Ejim was on the opposite wing and both busted their tails across court to get the dang ball. If JVB isn't hitting his shots like on Saturday, Railey is a much better option because he isn't as big of a liability on the defensive end of the floor.

    It was actually kind of comical on Saturday watching the game and seeing his lack of hustle. It kind of blows my mind how the last 2 games he has been the tallest person on the court by about 3 or 4 inches but yet only comes up with a 4 and 5 rebound game respectively and a guy like Jake Anderson has had 12 and 10 rebounds in those games.

    Although I might be the only person that finds this frustrating.



  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 913,623, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    61,167
    Points
    913,623
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,658
    Given: 4,708

    Re: Update on Jamie Vanderbeken's health

    This looks like a day to ban the publisher. Is that possible?

    He has opened up a whole can of coupons I'd never want to cash.


    Kansas Must Be Destroyed

    Sic Semper Jayhawks




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  6. #6
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 54,986, Level: 72
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 564
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,560
    Points
    54,986
    Level
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 224
    Given: 144

    Re: Update on Jamie Vanderbeken's health

    When will some people understand that JVB is not a big 12 caliber starter. He should be coming off the bench to give us some 3 point shooting, but because we're so thin in the middle this year he has to try to do more, and he just doesn't have the skills to do it. Slow doesn't always mean lack of hustle.



  7. #7
    Prospect
    Points: 4,668, Level: 20
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 382
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    26
    Points
    4,668
    Level
    20
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Update on Jamie Vanderbeken's health

    whew, thank goodness it is only the flu. When I read the tread title I thought maybe he got hurt by tripping over the 3 pt line. It certainly wouldn't be from playing defense and rebounding.



  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 913,623, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    61,167
    Points
    913,623
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,658
    Given: 4,708

    Re: Update on Jamie Vanderbeken's health

    Quote Originally Posted by CYKOFAN View Post
    When will some people understand that JVB is not a big 12 caliber starter. He should be coming off the bench to give us some 3 point shooting, but because we're so thin in the middle this year he has to try to do more, and he just doesn't have the skills to do it. Slow doesn't always mean lack of hustle.
    Right. I could play one-on-one in the post against Royce White, and it would look like I wasn't trying at all.

    The real answer would be that Royce is bigger, quicker, faster, stronger and more gifted than I am, and my hustle would look like a lack of effort. I would be terrible abused in that matchup, but it wouldn't be a lack of effort.


    Kansas Must Be Destroyed

    Sic Semper Jayhawks




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  9. #9
    Prospect
    Points: 4,668, Level: 20
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 382
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    26
    Points
    4,668
    Level
    20
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Update on Jamie Vanderbeken's health

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    Right. I could play one-on-one in the post against Royce White, and it would look like I wasn't trying at all.

    The real answer would be that Royce is bigger, quicker, faster, stronger and more gifted than I am, and my hustle would look like a lack of effort. I would be terrible abused in that matchup, but it wouldn't be a lack of effort.

    I understand your point, but when you are 6'11 and playing against Oklahoma (a team we should have beat) and you have more fouls than you do combined pts and rebounds something is wrong.



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 78,180, Level: 86
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 170
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    5,523
    Points
    78,180
    Level
    86
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 254
    Given: 436

    Re: Update on Jamie Vanderbeken's health

    Quote Originally Posted by RayShimley View Post
    Honestly, the team getting stuck in Ames because of weather might not be the worst thing that could happen at this point...
    Seriously, not a bad thing.

    Except this game is on the road......in Colorado, a gym where we've historically taken some good teams against crummy CU squads and got our jocks handed to us. It might not make a diff.


    "We are first and foremost an educational institution that values integrity, honesty and treating others with fairness and respect".

    -ISU President Gregory Geoffroy; circa May 2003.

  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 38,082, Level: 60
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 968
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    HOTDON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Fort Dodge, IA
    Posts
    2,391
    Points
    38,082
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Update on Jamie Vanderbeken's health

    Quote Originally Posted by wcamnclone View Post
    So is this his reason for lack of hustle? I remember a play during the second half of the OU game where Diante put up a 3 and JVB was on the block and the rebound came his way and out of bounds in the corner and didn't move for the ball. But Jake Anderson was in the opposite corner and Ejim was on the opposite wing and both busted their tails across court to get the dang ball. If JVB isn't hitting his shots like on Saturday, Railey is a much better option because he isn't as big of a liability on the defensive end of the floor.

    It was actually kind of comical on Saturday watching the game and seeing his lack of hustle. It kind of blows my mind how the last 2 games he has been the tallest person on the court by about 3 or 4 inches but yet only comes up with a 4 and 5 rebound game respectively and a guy like Jake Anderson has had 12 and 10 rebounds in those games.

    Although I might be the only person that finds this frustrating.
    I see what you're saying, but Jamie is a guard in a center's body. His perimeter style never forced him to learn how to rebound. It's also not fair to compare him to Jake. Jake has unbelievable rebounding instinct. It's a treat watching him work. A guy Jamie's size would get to the NBA on rebounding ability alone with Jake's ability to find the ball.

    Bottom line is that while Jamie has been one of the keys to the surprising success that we have had at times this season, but his limitations also show why the NBA isn't full of 7 foot deep threats. We would be more dangerous with Hammy down low so Jamie shooting 3's wasn't essentially a complete concession of the offensive glass. He's a solid player cast in the wrong role.



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 144,766, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    RayShimley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Stillwater, MN
    Posts
    6,112
    Points
    144,766
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 155
    Given: 34

    Re: Update on Jamie Vanderbeken's health

    Quote Originally Posted by HOTDON View Post
    I see what you're saying, but Jamie is a guard in a center's body. His perimeter style never forced him to learn how to rebound. It's also not fair to compare him to Jake. Jake has unbelievable rebounding instinct. It's a treat watching him work. A guy Jamie's size would get to the NBA on rebounding ability alone with Jake's ability to find the ball.

    Bottom line is that while Jamie has been one of the keys to the surprising success that we have had at times this season, but his limitations also show why the NBA isn't full of 7 foot deep threats. We would be more dangerous with Hammy down low so Jamie shooting 3's wasn't essentially a complete concession of the offensive glass. He's a solid player cast in the wrong role.
    So he's either a center who can't rebound or a guard who can't dribble. That's a tough spot to be.



  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 54,986, Level: 72
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 564
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,560
    Points
    54,986
    Level
    72
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 224
    Given: 144

    Re: Update on Jamie Vanderbeken's health

    JVB can shoot. Period. Imo when he plays too many minutes he loses his legs and his shot. That's why I think he would probably be more effective coming off the bench and playing less minutes. He can't keep up with the speed of the game for long periods. Unfortunately we're so thin this year he has to play a lot of minutes unless he gets in foul trouble, as he was doing earlier in the year.



  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 435,943, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 62.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    65,331
    Points
    435,943
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,534
    Given: 1,169

    Re: Update on Jamie Vanderbeken's health

    Quote Originally Posted by CYKOFAN View Post
    JVB can shoot. Period. Imo when he plays too many minutes he loses his legs and his shot. That's why I think he would probably be more effective coming off the bench and playing less minutes. He can't keep up with the speed of the game for long periods. Unfortunately we're so thin this year he has to play a lot of minutes unless he gets in foul trouble, as he was doing earlier in the year.

    Again, he was sick the last two games and was short on his shots. It should be back to normal by Saturday. DG and SC needs to hit the threes tonight.


    Let Prohm's Posse Ride: Georges, Georgios, 3sus, Hallice, Deonte, Dustin, Abdel, Monte, Matt, and McKaT.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.TV
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. UNI
  • September 5, 2015
  • 07:00 PM