Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 170
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 31

January 31st - the week that might be...

The ladies not only survived a critical week last week, but they showed composure and grit that gives me a boundless supply of hope for what is yet to come. They went on the road to an always tough Nebraska and kicked the stuffing out of Herbie the Husker's lady friends. They beat a Mizzou team that had knocked off Texas and Georgetown and competitively pushed ISU in the second half. They could have folded but they didn't. That makes the return visit to Columbia a difficult task potentially.

This leaves the Twister Sisters at 3-3 in the conference. Its not enough as two of those wins are against one team. What does this week present to our ladies in red? First, the get a visit on Wednesday from OSU. This was a team that relied heavily on two players last year who have exhausted their eligibility. They beat us twice when we were without Aus. This year they are a very different team sitting at 13-6 and 1-5 in conference play. They did beat Colorado if that means anything. They have had a very similar schedule to ours having played ATM and Baylor (the were creamed in both) and KSU which is down this year. They did play #12 Oklahoma very close this weekend. PErsonally I think OU is overrated based on their performances in the Big 12. OSU brings with it Toni Young who is consistently their high scorer averaging 14 per game. She is one of the rare college women who actually can dunk the ball. One thing OSU isn't is a three point shooting team. Lakyn Garrison is their primary three point shooter and is hitting at a 32 percent clip. Perhaps a very important stat to note is that OSU doesn't shoot free throws well as the team averages 64% with the best player being Tiffany Bias at 80%. The next best is shooting a miserly 68%. I like the idea of Bolte cutting loose once more with her strong supporting cast adding to the offensive output. Our defense will cause OSU troubles. The intangible is what type of crowd will be able to brave the remains of the blizzard this week. Will OSU be able to travel itself? We will see. I see ISU winning by 15 in this one.

The weekend comes and our ladies will don their red road uniforms to travel to Oklahoma. Yes, I said OU is overrated, but that doesn't mean they aren't very good. Sheri Coales is one of the best and most respected coaches in the conference and they will be ready to defend their home court. OU comes into this week at 16-4 and 6-1 in the conference. They have essentially rolled through the weak north division of the Big 12 and showed that TTech was overrated (having built gaudy numbers on a weak schedule) and losing a close one (two points) at home versus ATM. They play at Baylor this week and I'm sure that will tell us something about them. This will be a highly competitive game and our ladies had best bring just that...their best...if they want to have a chance of winning in Norman. They are a multi-headed hydra with Hand, Ellenberg, and Robinson all averaging double figure points. They aren't afraid to shoot the three and are hitting at nearly 40% on the year. In many ways you could say that OU is the mirror image of past ISU teams. They rebound hard, hit their free throws (76%), shoot the three and have a dominating post player. They also go to their bench frequently and deeply as only two players are averaging over 30 minutes per contest. This is one that is too hard to call, but if the ladies intend on landing in the top four of the conference they need to get a tough road win against the south. This is their last chance to knock off one of the top teams in the conference.

Sitting 5-3 at the end of the week would be huge as the schedule lightens up after the OU game. Here's crossing my fingers that this happens.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: January 31st - the week that might be...

Never going to say they can't, but OU on the road will be a very tough hill to climb. I see this more likely as a loss. However, I actually think the schedule gets much better.

We play both Kansas teams twice. KU on the road tends to be a tough one for us, but they are currently at the bottom of the standings. KSU will be tough, but they have played a fairly easy schedule so far which is one of the main reasons they are not ranked despite a 5-2 Big 12 start. I see one loss in these four, either at KSU or at KU.

At Tech will be tough as well, but they have gone on a four game losing streak including losing to Nebraska. However, Tech wasn't ranked to long ago and we have traditional had troubles there. Right now I'm counting this as a lose, but I'm feeling better about our chances after Nebraska.

I see two wins with Colorado and Texas at home. Yes, Colorado beat us in Boulder, but that was a off night for us and them and on their home court and it took OT to do it. When was the last time CU has beat the Twister sisters at Hilton? Texas scares me a little because they have some talent, but they are still a middle of pack team who will have to win at the toughest venue in the Big 12.

Last is Missouri on the road. I think this is going to be a win. I know they have knocked off a few ranked teams, but those teams were both on the marginal side anyway. Georgetown is ranked about the same as us, however, I see our ranking going up over the next few weeks while I don't see theirs moving. Texas is hardly receiving votes anymore. More importantly, they have lost to everyone else except KU, including a 15 point loss to us.

Overall I have us down for three more loses good for forth in the standings, but I'm actually starting to think maybe only two considering this week.

Last edited by jaretac; 01-31-2011 at 12:36 PM.

Pro
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 241
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsYour first Group

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 30

10-6 in conference seems likely, but like you guys said, if we can go 2-0 this week, 11-5 in conference is looking good

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 98
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Outside of OU, what games left on the schedule do you think we won't be favored in? I really think that we should be favored in every game left on the scheduler, after OU. TTU is a ? but that would probably be our toughest game left on the schedule.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYGREG View Post
    Outside of OU, what games left on the schedule do you think we won't be favored in? I really think that we should be favored in every game left on the scheduler, after OU. TTU is a ? but that would probably be our toughest game left on the schedule.
    At tech we might not be favored or even maybe at KSU. Those games are a long ways off and a lot can happen. Even if not, we tend to drop a few toward the end of the schedule that we should have won.

All-Star
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 12

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYGREG View Post
    I realize its just the rpi, so take it for what its worth, but RealtimeRPI has us as underdogs @KU (1 point), @TTU (7 points), and @KSU (6 points). We're a 1 point favorite @Missouri, and considering how that game went at Hilton, that will probably be a struggle.

We're double digit favorites for all our remaining home games (OSU, KSU, Colorado, Texas, and Kansas).