Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Kickoff Rule Change This Year

With the kickoff being made from the 30 this year rather than the 35, I think we will see more emphasis on getting impact players back to return kicks. Who do you think will be our kickoff returners this year?

Also, since most kickers won't be able to get it in the end zone, what will the strategy be on kicking off...put your top players on kickoff coverage (some coaches like Saban have always done this)?..kick it out of bounds?..directional kick it?..squib kick it?..or what?

I believe this rule change will have an enormous impact on the game and coaching strategies.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 338
    Given: 240

Re: Kickoff Rule Change This Year

Should make the game more exciting, that's for sure. I really have no idea as to what the impact will be. I'll guess it will have a greater impact in the first year or two. Then coaches will begin to recruit differently and have players put more emphasis on kicking longer.

I hope we're not trying to directional kick, as both Griebahn and Shaggy have booted a couple out of bounds if my memory serves me correctly. Unless we're giving up TD's on every other kickoff, I'd rather not see us kick it outta bounds. Embarassing.

Another thing not mentioned - the onside kick now carries 5 yards more of a risk. Will be interesting to see if that impacts any of the out-of-the-blue onside kicks.

Walk On
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 348
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

With the number of D1 kicker that could kick the ball out of the end zone from the 35, I don't think we'll be seeing too many less kickoffs go into the end zone.

We'll probably see more teams running the ball out of the end zone though because the kickoff team will have to run an extra 5 yards to get to the return man.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by twittkop View Post
    With the number of D1 kicker that could kick the ball out of the end zone from the 35, I don't think we'll be seeing too many less kickoffs go into the end zone.

We'll probably see more teams running the ball out of the end zone though because the kickoff team will have to run an extra 5 yards to get to the return man.
    Actually, I believe there are less kickoffs going into and through the endzone than you think.

I heard Tony Barnhart say that last year in the SEC, 65% of kickoffs were returned. I would assume that the national averages are probably pretty similar. He also said that the coaches he has talked to think that number will go to around 85% this year with this rule change.

It appears no one on this site really wants to discuss this rule change but it is going to have a dramatic impact on the game. Most coaches believe there will be a big impact and they are preparing for it because they think this is the biggest on-field rule change in over a decade.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 878
    Given: 627

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    Another thing not mentioned - the onside kick now carries 5 yards more of a risk. Will be interesting to see if that impacts any of the out-of-the-blue onside kicks.
    I wonder if we'll start seeing some more of the "pop fly" onside kicks that were popular in the late '80s and early '90s - where the kicker would act as if it were a legit kickoff, and instead bloop one toward the sideline and hope one of your sprinters can run under it.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.