Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 29

Twister Sister Summary - ISU ladies beat Mizzou 71-56

I had to wait until today to get around to writing this up. We took advantage of the rare "double" yesterday to take in both he women's and men's games in one day. We we flying high when we left the women's game. The talk was all about Big-C and Pop as well as the great game Loz played. Unfortunately we were brought back down as the men repeated their pattern of late and again found a way to lose after leading by 6 late in the game. But I digress…I really need to…that was just depressing.

This was a game that made me a bit nervous. Mizzou had knocked off Texas and a highly rated Georgetown team. They were dangerous. The other thought in my head was they had only faced one team that played tough defense like the Sisters and that was ATM. ATM ripped the Tigers apart. So this game had the chance to be interesting and it was in a tale of two halves.

The first half was literally all Iowa State. After leading 8-0, the ladies would keep adding padding to their lead on the way to a 20 point half time lead. You got to see Bolt's highlights early and late. If you arrived a few minutes in to the game you got to see her struggle mightily with her shot. From downtown the entire team struggled to hit the inside of the net from three point land. Some shots were just plain clankers. Our main shooters from deep (Bolt, AP, etc.) just didn't seem to have the range. Fortunately this was a game that other's stepped up to the plate to make up for our leader's off day.

Horrendous Note- the officiating was some of the worst of this season. Their ineptitude kept either team from finding any flow in the second half and clearly frustrated the ladies in Red. I won't say anything more other than they should be relegated to junior high games rather than the Big-12. They were that bad.

Humorous note - at one point Bolt was struggling terribly and Bill pulled her from the floor. The look on her face was priceless! It was one of those "you're doing what?" expressions. Fortunately there is a reason why Bolt isn't pulled from games early this year.

The first half was dominating inside from both a scoring and rebounding aspect. It literally seemed that overtime there was a rebound to be had…even if there were a group of Mizzou players there…a fiery head of red hair would appear and ball would be in hand. Amazingly, Pop pulled in a total of 19 boards….just four short of the record set by the immortal Angie Welle in 2002. Even more important, ten of those were on the offensive glass. What a day this young woman had! It was the definitive example of her hustle. Her free throws may never be a thing of beauty, but those boards, 12 points and 2 assists are exactly what we need from her on a regular basis. Add to that…she picked up not one, not two, but three of her patented charges. This girl has the Fosbury flop down pat.

The feel good moment was when Jess entered the game in the first half. We've definitely missed her hustle and aggressiveness. She would end up getting significant minutes and while her stat line wasn't anything to write home about, her presence and minutes played (about 15) were critical to our success and depth.

Big-C was another player who had a fantastic game. I was fortunate enough to see her and her folks after the game at a Ames restaurant. Very nice people and she was a delight to talk to. What was important for Big-C is that she had her first "great" game in the Big-12 season. She had struggled to score and rebound in earlier games and she dominated in this one. 9 boards, 18 points, and 3 blocks will help anyone's confidence. Her long reach clearly frustrated the Mizzou players and she showed an aggressive nature that needs to be nurtured.

AP had an interesting game. Nine points on an unamazing 4-10 from the field wasn't what got my attention. It was a moment in the game when she picked up a foul. She had just set a very nasty screen at the top of the key that knocked the Mizzou girl to the floor. Seconds later, after the girl got up, AP gave her the equivalent of a forearm shiver and decked her again. This was the foul. What I liked, although the foul wasn't smart, is that AP is showing a level of confidence and aggressiveness that she has been lacking in her short career at ISU. She is jumping for rebounds. She is pulling them in and tearing them away from her opponents. Having a degree of "mean" is just what she needs.

Loz…what can you say? She had a great day as a point guard. She directed the game at our pace. Assist numbers weren't too high - only two and she did have two turnovers to match those. What she did was become the outside shooter as she drained 14 points and had 2 of our 4 three point shots.

We were fortunate to have the 20 point halftime lead. Mizzou made a run at us in the second half as our defense got sloppy and the offense at times was offensive. Shots wouldn't fall and we had some defensive lapses that led to some easy Mizzou buckets. Yet, every time they made a charge ISU would find a way to answer back. The lead was kept at 13 or higher throughout. Mizzou would end up outscoring us in the second half, but the game was never really in doubt.

It was also a welcome back to Robin Pingeton the new Mizzou head coach. She very obviously pregnant (as was one of her assistants) and she is making her imprint in the Mizzou team. I honestly look for Mizzou to become tougher as each year goes by.

Had a great get together with some Cyclone faithful after the game. Was great to see Arson, Hopper, and others as we celebrated a solid Sisters' victory.

Walk On
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 205
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Twister Sister Summary - ISU ladies beat Mizzou 71-56

You so happen to forget about chas!! Six assists ZERO turnovers!!

Pro
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 231
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 29

Re: Twister Sister Summary - ISU ladies beat Mizzou 71-56

Quote Originally Posted by swiacyfan View Post
    You so happen to forget about chas!! Six assists ZERO turnovers!!
    I'll blame it on my late Saturday night! Chas has had two fantastic games in a row after being spotty throughout the beginnings of this season. She has zero turnovers in the last two games...both of which we know were wins. Its all coming together as the depth of our team seems to be developing.