Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

My problem/concern

If we are talented enough and are coached well enough to have a 4-6 point lead after 37-38 minutes in games, why aren't we talented enough and coached well enough to finish? Talent, the roster, etc. really shouldn't be the problem there.

Do we change what we do offensively down the stretch? Defensively? What is it? It may be a mentality that our players have, but even that should only be good for a few losses down the stretch. It seems like we lose every single time in crunch time...which has to have SOME degree of bad luck too, right?

All-Star
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 272
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 2

Re: My problem/concern

Quote Originally Posted by CloneState1028 View Post
    If we are talented enough and are coached well enough to have a 4-6 point lead after 37-38 minutes in games, why aren't we talented enough and coached well enough to finish? Talent, the roster, etc. really shouldn't be the problem there.

Do we change what we do offensively down the stretch? Defensively? What is it? It may be a mentality that our players have, but even that should only be good for a few losses down the stretch. It seems like we lose every single time in crunch time...which has to have SOME degree of bad luck too, right?
    It's not bad luck, the problem is lack of depth. The seven players CFH plays just run out of gas during the final five minutes of the game; he needs to develop more depth now. I don't know what's going on with Railey, but having him coming in to spell Ejim and JVB along with Godfrey would do wonders for their legs at the end of the game. Bubu needs to develop quickly, so he can spell DG more frequently would be great as well. The loss of McKnight is turning out to be bigger than I expected, but the team has to deal with it. I wonder how the FB fill-ins are turning out. The team needs them to be able to see floor time as well. If CFH can rotate eight or nine, that would be huge for the team's endurance during a game.

Another thing is the team is getting way behind early, so they need to expend extra energy to catch up. That's another huge factor in their stamina at the end of the game. Our boys need to get ahead early and stay there, that way they can stay fresher to finish the game as winners.

P.J. Farmer rocks!

All-Star
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 409
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by drednot57 View Post
    It's not bad luck, the problem is lack of depth. The seven players CFH plays just run out of gas during the final five minutes of the game; he needs to develop more depth now. I don't know what's going on with Railey, but having him coming in to spell Ejim and JVB along with Godfrey would do wonders for their legs at the end of the game. Bubu needs to develop quickly, so he can spell DG more frequently would be great as well. The loss of McKnight is turning out to be bigger than I expected, but the team has to deal with it. I wonder how the FB fill-ins are turning out. The team needs them to be able to see floor time as well. If CFH can rotate eight or nine, that would be huge for the team's endurance during a game.

Another thing is the team is getting way behind early, so they need to expend extra energy to catch up. That's another huge factor in their stamina at the end of the game. Our boys need to get ahead early and stay there, that way they can stay fresher to finish the game as winners.
    Pretty sure you meant Phillips. I was in CR for the last three days and out of the loop, but I'm pretty sure McKnight is on team still.

That rug really tied the room together, did it not dude?

Follow me unplugged on twitter @fatkid1974

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 153
    Given: 124

It is more than tired legs. It is more than bad luck. Our offense through DG being triple teamed will not work at the end of the game. We need not to pivot around DG in last 35 seconds. He is overplayed the last few seconds and he needs to dump it off. Plain and simple. The other team will not allow him, to score. It may be we have to actually let SC or Jake be the point guard with DG as the shooter.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,175
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34

We've had some tough breaks in the last couple of games, but I don't know why we should be surprised that we're struggling to win big 12 games. We lost all four of our inside players from last year and replaced them with smaller freshmen. Other teams know how to stop us by taking the 3 away from Scotty, and hoping JVB can't hit, and both have been happening lately. What little depth we have are freshmen. This is a team not talented enough to compete night in and night out in the Big 12, and if we're not hitting a lot of 3's it's almost impossible for us to win. GMac left the program in a mess with all the player defections, and Fred isn't going to solve that overnight, but I firmly believe he is changing that and solid improvement will start next year. Just enjoy the progress our young kids make this year and hope we can pull out another Big 12 game or two, because that's the most we can expect with all the warts this team has that are now being exposed.

Addict
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 885
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 199

Quote Originally Posted by CloneState1028 View Post

If the team stayed with its normal offense in the last couple of minutes, they probably would have won at least 2 of those 3 close conference games.

Addict
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 885
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 199

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    It is more than tired legs.
    Yes.

In fact, I don't buy the Tired Legs Syndrome that's frequently used as the reason for losing these tight games.

They have enough in the tank for 37 or 38 minutes, then a switch is turned off and the entire team hits the wall? I don't buy it.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,175
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34

cyclones500- It's always a tough call how to play the last couple of minutes with a lead. We only score about 40% of the time running our regular offense, and if we don't run clock, we lengthen the game, which is what the trailing team wants. If we shoot too quickly, then the other team has more opportunities, and if we lose, then people complain that we should have run some clock with the lead. I think the bottom line is we just aren't talented enough to close some of these games, and our big 12 opponents have playmakers that are, at least compared to us. Fatigue could also be a factor since our starters have to play so many minutes.

All-Star
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 272
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by fatkid1974 View Post
    Pretty sure you meant Phillips. I was in CR for the last three days and out of the loop, but I'm pretty sure McKnight is on team still.
    Yeah, you're right. BTW, what's up with Phillips as well? The team need Railey and Phillips to play now more than ever.

P.J. Farmer rocks!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 880
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 69

I think people around here just need to calm down a bit. Hoiberg had ZERO coaching experience when he was hired. That was a big gamble. Overall, I think it's panned out well.

But, when you're a guy who doesn't have any previous experience, you're learning on the fly. And ESPECIALLY considering that, I think Hoiberg has been nothing short of brilliant. He's going to figure things out, IMO. He's got the talent to work with, he's just got to figure out what works and what doesn't. That comes with experience.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

Simple answer is the team with the best player in a close game has the best chance to win. We don't have that player on our team so every miscue is magnified. The Big 12 is a pile of goo this year so we have had chances but just can't finish.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 257
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 20

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    . We need not to pivot around DG in last 35 seconds. He is overplayed the last few seconds and he needs to dump it off. Plain and simple. .
    I'm just not a believer in the 1-4 Flat offense, period. Even with the most talented PG, going 1-on-3 will have the odds against you as the defense collapses, denying the shot and plugging up the passing lanes.

I'd prefer to see ball-rotation, the extra-pass to get the defense outta position for a high percentage shot.

"We are first and foremost an educational institution that values integrity, honesty and treating others with fairness and respect".

-ISU President Gregory Geoffroy; circa May 2003.

Pro
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 460
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 115

Quote Originally Posted by drednot57 View Post
    Yeah, you're right. BTW, what's up with Phillips as well? The team need Railey and Phillips to play now more than ever.
    How can Phillips play when he left the team at break?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 18

Depth maybe an issue, but I think it is over blown. Most of the ISU teams that went to the NCAA's only went 6 or 7 deep. Maybe a guy or 2 averaged 2 or 3 mins after than but for the most part 6 or 7 players did the work. Granted they had better talent on those teams but they still were not deep. I am sure LE, TF, and JO didnt take it easy on them at practice, because of this. This team has short practices and maybe that is why they cannot stay in games late.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 428
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by tm3308 View Post
    I think people around here just need to calm down a bit. Hoiberg had ZERO coaching experience when he was hired. That was a big gamble. Overall, I think it's panned out well.

But, when you're a guy who doesn't have any previous experience, you're learning on the fly. And ESPECIALLY considering that, I think Hoiberg has been nothing short of brilliant. He's going to figure things out, IMO. He's got the talent to work with, he's just got to figure out what works and what doesn't. That comes with experience.
    I agree that he has done well overall and I'm extremely excited about the future, but this is the third time we have lost a game in the exact same way. After our end-of-game strategy failed miserably twice (not to mention similar late-game struggles in the UNI, Cal, Iowa, and Creighton games), the staff should have figured out that they need to try something new. It's very troubling, and I think being upset about it is completely warranted.

I hope we're in the situation where we have a late lead and get to see the team and staff figure things out before the season is over.