Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

The credit and the blame

I have been very pleased with the effort and attitude Coach Hoiberg has got the team to play with consistently this year. Additionally, I love his style of play, leadership style, recruiting, and intensity. However, losing 6 games that the team has lead at some point in the last 3 minutes has to fall on his shoulders as well. The players have to make plays when put in the position to do so he can't take all the blame. The team blew a 9 point lead to Okie St., a 4 point lead to Nebby (didn't score the last 2 minutes), a 4 point lead to Oklahoma (didn't score the last 2 minutes), and had trouble getting shots against UNI and Cal. Something needs to change in regards to who has the ball, plays to run, and who is in the game. If he is going to get all the credit he needs to shoulder the responsibility as well.

I get tired of the 7 player excuse as well by fans. You watch all the good teams and they play 7-8 guys during the games and play the rest in mop up duty. Come conference and NCAA tourney time they play mainly 7 with the 8 playing selected minutes.

Starter
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 381
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: The credit and the blame

Quote Originally Posted by cyfan27 View Post
    I have been very pleased with the effort and attitude Coach Hoiberg has got the team to play with consistently this year. Additionally, I love his style of play, leadership style, recruiting, and intensity. However, losing 6 games that the team has lead at some point in the last 3 minutes has to fall on his shoulders as well. The players have to make plays when put in the position to do so he can't take all the blame. The team blew a 9 point lead to Okie St., a 4 point lead to Nebby (didn't score the last 2 minutes), a 4 point lead to Oklahoma (didn't score the last 2 minutes), and had trouble getting shots against UNI and Cal. Something needs to change in regards to who has the ball, plays to run, and who is in the game. If he is going to get all the credit he needs to shoulder the responsibility as well.

I get tired of the 7 player excuse as well by fans. You watch all the good teams and they play 7-8 guys during the games and play the rest in mop up duty. Come conference and NCAA tourney time they play mainly 7 with the 8 playing selected minutes.
    So who do you think you should be handling the ball instead of DG? I understand that this is frustrating, but we just do not have the right players for these type of situations.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 937
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 31

I said it before and I will say it again.

This team Lives & Dies with the 3 point shot....Last night we went 5 for 24 which is not good enough to win at this level.

Did you see how many clutch three's that the Okies made last night?

Until three point shooting improves we aka ISU will not win another conference game its just that simple!!!!!!!!!!!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,567
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 57
    Given: 8

relax people, 90% of this board was expecting 15-17 wins, well they are on pace for that. ISU just looked good early on this season (or better than people thought they would look), now they are playing like the team that everyone thought they would be. Lets not freak out, the team has played up to expectation so far and maybe over achieved a bit.

Next season, FH will have some better talent and more D1 bodies to play. Lets be real, as hard as this team is playing maybe only 1 or 2 of ISU's players could see the court for KU or Texas.

I am enjoying this season way more than the past 5 seasons, ISU is actually competitive and fun to watch.....granted there are some frustrating moments, but it is better than getting waxed by 30 points like the McD era.

Pro
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 186
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by erikbj View Post
    relax people, 90% of this board was expecting 15-17 wins, well they are on pace for that. ISU just looked good early on this season (or better than people thought they would look), now they are playing like the team that everyone thought they would be. Lets not freak out, the team has played up to expectation so far and maybe over achieved a bit.

Next season, FH will have some better talent and more D1 bodies to play. Lets be real, as hard as this team is playing maybe only 1 or 2 of ISU's players could see the court for KU or Texas.

I am enjoying this season way more than the past 5 seasons, ISU is actually competitive and fun to watch.....granted there are some frustrating moments, but it is better than getting waxed by 30 points like the McD era.
    I think the problem is the team has played well enough to far exceed our expectation but continue to come up short and continue to use the same formula. I really think the way we shoot FTs I would of fouled prior to the three that sent it to OT. I know hindsight is 20/20 but when we do the same thing everytime the D is able to change their approach and it works that first time.

Let Me Mayor Coach!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 121

Quote Originally Posted by erikbj View Post

McD's games were in the foprties and fifties. We did not get blown out by huge margins. We were just not going to win. Ham was better at the end. Dendy made a dent in winning. Now we need someone on this team to pick it up and play tougher the last few games. CFH did not call very many timeouts at the tlast three minutes and we had the same result. The opponent steps it up at the end and we are already playing in our fourth gear the whole game. We cannot respond with the big plays apparently.

Last edited by Wesley; 01-30-2011 at 10:56 AM.
    CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 150
    Given: 112

We are who we thought we were. Pre-season, that is.

Pro
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,093
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by Cydkar View Post
    We are who we thought we were. Pre-season, that is.
    The Blame lies on our awesome matador defense, way too many open looks.....

Pro
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 776
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The team blew a 9 point lead to Okie St., a 4 point lead to Nebby (didn't score the last 2 minutes), a 4 point lead to Oklahoma (didn't score the last 2 minutes), and had trouble getting shots against UNI and Cal. .
    Jake Anderson's free throws put ISU up by 6 with around 3 minutes left last night. I believe right after that is when JVB got pushed from behind while in perfect position for a rebound on the other end. It all went downhill after that. So I think the blown leads are a combination of bad breaks and poor play.

Starter
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyBobby View Post
    I said it before and I will say it again.

This team Lives & Dies with the 3 point shot....Last night we went 5 for 24 which is not good enough to win at this level.

Did you see how many clutch three's that the Okies made last night?

Until three point shooting improves we aka ISU will not win another conference game its just that simple!!!!!!!!!!!
    Agree. When it gets to crunch time you have got to find a way to pound the ball down low and either make the basket or get to the line. The close losses at Neb, at Okie St and OU has shown this glaring weakness.

Legend
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 346

Don't forget we nearly lost the Iowa and Creighton game in the exact same way. I'm beginning to question our end of game strategy as well.

While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

Speechless
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 121

We need a new strategy before the season is over. DG is triple teamed and the strategy has been seen game after game.

At some point, I hope JVB improves on his dribbling skills. That might help at the end of the game if he has to use them.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

All-Star
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 145
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    We need a new strategy before the season is over. DG is triple teamed and the strategy has been seen game after game.

At some point, I hope JVB improves on his dribbling skills. That might help at the end of the game if he has to use them.
    At some point, he needs to improve his ability to play basketball. Dude can only hit wide open threes; has no defense, cant jump, has no help side defense, he isn't even setting screens well. Everyone and their mom knows he is going to flare to the three point line after setting a high screen. If he isnt open, then he just stands there.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 18

Some of the blame needs to go to not having a good guard of the bench. This team also need another true shooter in its starting 5. Jake and Ejim do a lot but are not a huge threat from 3. The last thing it needs is a real presence down low and when Godfrey is open the abality to get him the ball.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Speechless
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 18

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone1985 View Post
    At some point, he needs to improve his ability to play basketball. Dude can only hit wide open threes; has no defense, cant jump, has no help side defense, he isn't even setting screens well. Everyone and their mom knows he is going to flare to the three point line after setting a high screen. If he isnt open, then he just stands there.
    He needs to take some pointers from Godfrey on setting screens, that guy is a screen setting machine.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne