SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 562
    Given: 356

Interview with D-Mac (8/11)

Cyclones.com link

AMES, Iowa

Coach, could you give us a quick overview of what you worked on this morning?

We are just getting ready for the (Saturday's) scrimmage, so we continued to polish up our system, our plans and our plays. We didnt add anything new today and we wont add anything new tomorrow during the scrimmage either. We worked a lot on different situations; moving the chains, team pass, a little live goal line work for the first time and just prepared for a really important scrimmage tomorrow.

How will the scrimmage be formatted?

It will be just like it normally is. The 1s against the 2s early in the scrimmage and then from there on it will be all 1s on 1s, 2s on 2s, 3s on 3s. We will get in a lot of positions, a lot of different places on the field, a lot of different situations that will come up in games. We are also going to work on punt and punt return and just work on PATs and field goals as they happen. We will get a lot of situational work.

How have things been going at the safety position now with James Smith out?

I think the guys have done good work and we will get time to evaluate the tape and tomorrow is going to be real important for all of those guys. But Caleb Berg and Jon Banks we had been rotating in there with James Smith in camp and (Smith) had already missed some practice due to his hamstring (before breaking an ankle Wednesday), so it isnt like (Berg and Banks) havent been in there running with the 1s, we have been rolling those guys in there. Brandon Hunley is a guy we really want to step up and I really like what Ryan Baum has done there for us. Its early with him though, its only his second day, but he is just a great football player. He is one of those guys that you could put at a couple different places and he will figure out a way to get it done. Im hoping that is a permanent move and I have a feeling it will be.

Talk about (true freshman linebackers) Fred Garrin and Kris Means. Have you switched them around?

Yes. We are working them both at the SAM and MIKE linebacker positions and we are just trying to figure out what their future will be and where they will fit best for our time this year. Garrin is ahead of Means right now, whether at SAM or MIKE. It doesnt mean that we wont play Kris, it just means that Fred is a little further along. We are going to use tomorrow and next week to evaluate and we are hoping to have all of our decisions done by the end of camp as far as whether guys are playing or if they are redshirting this year. But we have a whole week from tomorrow left to do that. But I like both of them, they are both good prospects. Right now, Garrin is definitely going to play this year and as far as Kris Means, the jury is still out on that one.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 239
    Given: 0
    That surprises me about Means. I really thought he would be opening up as somebody we would see get time. I never heard that much about Garrin, I knew he was supposed to be a good player, I just always thought that Means was a better looking prospect.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 562
    Given: 356
    I agree Bryce. Perhaps he's not progressing as expected or D-Mac is using his words to motivate Means even further.