Page 1 of 38 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 556
  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 29,739, Level: 52
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 11
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,736
    Points
    29,739
    Level
    52
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 3

    Weather Thread 1/30-2/2: Possible Major Storm

    Some of the models, mainly the Canadian, Ukmet and on and off the Euro have been showing a possible significant storm for this time frame. The GFS finally has at least partially hopped on board tonight.

    What looks likely:
    1.Warm Air Advection out ahead of the system tossing light 1-3 inch snowfalls Sunday night into Monday morning.

    Beyond that 3 reasonable scenarios present themselves:

    1. North stream sheared and fast, south stream slow, no phase whatsoever. Least likely scenario, all models have abandoned this solution and for awhile now.
    2. Partial phase - interaction pulls storm north but it moves in a NE pattern, light snows in central Iowa Monday Night-Tuesday moderate in SE Iowa.OK, MO,IL, IN and OH get hit hard. This solution strikes me as most likely. Its just kinda hard to get a good complete phase, when your dealing with placement issues and you also have to worry about timing.
    3. Complete Phase of storms- several models have shown this solution and have put out huge amounts. Low bombs out causing it to take more of a NNE path. Huge snow totals somewhere, likely some part of Iowa.


    Last edited by Iastfan112; 01-28-2011 at 01:32 AM.

  2. #2
    Starter
    Points: 18,566, Level: 41
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 384
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    682
    Points
    18,566
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Weather Thread 1/30-2/2: Possible Major Storm

    In English please...


    There was one?

  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 727,959, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,046
    Points
    727,959
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,071
    Given: 571

    Re: Weather Thread 1/30-2/2: Possible Major Storm

    Quote Originally Posted by josh777 View Post
    In English please...
    It might snow a lot, it might not.



  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 101,129, Level: 99
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,921
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    HiltonMagic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    6,180
    Points
    101,129
    Level
    99
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 33

    Re: Weather Thread 1/30-2/2: Possible Major Storm

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    It might snow a lot, it might not.
    so, basically, it's winter?


    Don't confuse hope for a plan.

  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 29,234, Level: 52
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 516
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    2,155
    Points
    29,234
    Level
    52
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Weather Thread 1/30-2/2: Possible Major Storm

    Quote Originally Posted by Iastfan112 View Post
    Some of the models, mainly the Canadian, Ukmet and on and off the Euro have been showing a possible significant storm for this time frame. The GFS finally has at least partially hopped on board tonight.

    What looks likely:
    1.Warm Air Advection out ahead of the system tossing light 1-3 inch snowfalls Sunday night into Monday morning.

    Beyond that 3 reasonable scenarios present themselves:

    1. North stream sheared and fast, south stream slow, no phase whatsoever. Least likely scenario, all models have abandoned this solution and for awhile now.
    2. Partial phase - interaction pulls storm north but it moves in a NE pattern, light snows in central Iowa Monday Night-Tuesday moderate in SE Iowa.OK, MO,IL, IN and OH get hit hard. This solution strikes me as most likely. Its just kinda hard to get a good complete phase, when your dealing with placement issues and you also have to worry about timing.
    3. Complete Phase of storms- several models have shown this solution and have put out huge amounts. Low bombs out causing it to take more of a NNE path. Huge snow totals somewhere, likely some part of Iowa.
    It's about time a major storm is in the works, i'm getting awfully sick of these weak clipper like systems.



  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 391,543, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    57,162
    Points
    391,543
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 316
    Given: 261

    Re: Weather Thread 1/30-2/2: Possible Major Storm

    Get new gas for the snow blower.


    CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 91,631, Level: 94
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,519
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    VTXCyRyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3,166
    Points
    91,631
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 46

    Re: Weather Thread 1/30-2/2: Possible Major Storm

    If its not more than 10" I don't want to hear about it.



  8. #8
    Pro
    Points: 57,049, Level: 73
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    jtdoyle1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, IA
    Posts
    2,113
    Points
    57,049
    Level
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 1

    Re: Weather Thread 1/30-2/2: Possible Major Storm

    Quote Originally Posted by VTXCyRyD View Post
    If its not more than 10" I don't want to hear about it.

    That's what she said.



  9. #9
    All-Star
    Points: 33,636, Level: 56
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 614
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    ISU4ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,581
    Points
    33,636
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 2

    Re: Weather Thread 1/30-2/2: Possible Major Storm

    Quote Originally Posted by VTXCyRyD View Post
    If its not more than 10" I don't want to hear about it.

    Exactly. I am tired of the doom is coming threads regarding weather. Let Mother Nature do her thing and leave her the hell alone.



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 86,495, Level: 91
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 955
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hudson, Iowa
    Posts
    8,092
    Points
    86,495
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 44

    Re: Weather Thread 1/30-2/2: Possible Major Storm

    Quote Originally Posted by jtdoyle1 View Post
    That's what she said.
    Thanks for a good laugh.



  11. #11
    Starter
    Points: 18,045, Level: 40
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    linkshero's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    919
    Points
    18,045
    Level
    40
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Weather Thread 1/30-2/2: Possible Major Storm

    Quote Originally Posted by ISU4ME View Post
    Exactly. I am tired of the doom is coming threads regarding weather. Let Mother Nature do her thing and leave her the hell alone.
    I have Brr ride next Saturday in Perry. I would like to know which tires I need to put on my bike. Or if I'm just going to be drinking all day........


    Lifetime Achievement- In on page 1 of a THujone MS Paint thread.


  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 73,184, Level: 84
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,666
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    ItsCyence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Brookings, SD
    Posts
    3,310
    Points
    73,184
    Level
    84
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 39

    Re: Weather Thread 1/30-2/2: Possible Major Storm

    I heard it's going to miss DES Moines area



  13. #13
    Starter
    Points: 13,357, Level: 35
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 693
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    805
    Points
    13,357
    Level
    35
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 1

    Re: Weather Thread 1/30-2/2: Possible Major Storm

    Quote Originally Posted by ISU4ME View Post
    Exactly. I am tired of the doom is coming threads regarding weather. Let Mother Nature do her thing and leave her the hell alone.
    I didn't see doom and gloom. I saw three possible outcomes to this storm.

    ISU has a strong meteorology school. There are lots of weather enthusiasts that visit this site. They like to discuss weather.

    Currently on the front page there are discussions about DQ, a TV show that I have never seen, 2 cycle oil, Ron Santo and genetically altered crops.

    Why is a discussion about weather such a bad thing.



  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 91,631, Level: 94
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,519
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    VTXCyRyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3,166
    Points
    91,631
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 46

    Re: Weather Thread 1/30-2/2: Possible Major Storm

    Quote Originally Posted by linkshero View Post
    I have Brr ride next Saturday in Perry. I would like to know which tires I need to put on my bike. Or if I'm just going to be drinking all day........
    This choice is easy



  15. #15
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 51,902, Level: 70
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 648
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,628
    Points
    51,902
    Level
    70
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 140

    Re: Weather Thread 1/30-2/2: Possible Major Storm

    Quote Originally Posted by c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s View Post
    I didn't see doom and gloom. I saw three possible outcomes to this storm.

    ISU has a strong meteorology school. There are lots of weather enthusiasts that visit this site. They like to discuss weather.

    Currently on the front page there are discussions about DQ, a TV show that I have never seen, 2 cycle oil, Ron Santo and genetically altered crops.

    Why is a discussion about weather such a bad thing.
    Good point, but like they say everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does a thing about it.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM