Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 11,096, Level: 31
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 154
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    243
    Points
    11,096
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Harlem Globetrotters

    So they are coming to Des Moines and I wanted to know if it's worth checking out. Thanks



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 347,608, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    19,434
    Points
    347,608
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 643
    Given: 86

    Re: Harlem Globetrotters

    I have heard it's pretty cool. When is it? I may have to go down to that and visit Uncle Bucks.


    It's all snark from here on out

  3. #3
    Legend
    Points: 316,473, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    CyCrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Rolling dirty in Roland.
    Posts
    14,870
    Points
    316,473
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 305
    Given: 55

    Re: Harlem Globetrotters

    Quote Originally Posted by Torn View Post
    So they are coming to Des Moines and I wanted to know if it's worth checking out. Thanks
    If you have never seen them perform or have kids then its more than worth it.



  4. #4
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 11,096, Level: 31
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 154
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    243
    Points
    11,096
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Harlem Globetrotters

    Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    I have heard it's pretty cool. When is it? I may have to go down to that and visit Uncle Bucks.
    April 17



  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 26,857, Level: 50
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 693
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,169
    Points
    26,857
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 96

    Re: Harlem Globetrotters

    I looked at the reviews at Ticketmaster.com - a lot of people complained about it. Not sure whether the complaints are legit or not.



  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 38,213, Level: 60
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 837
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CycloneNorth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Clarksville, TN
    Posts
    2,118
    Points
    38,213
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 13

    Re: Harlem Globetrotters

    I saw them in Minneapolis a few years ago and it was pretty disappointing. There were some cool trick shots but not really worth it unless you have young kids.



  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 26,857, Level: 50
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 693
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,169
    Points
    26,857
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 96

    Re: Harlem Globetrotters

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneNorth View Post
    I saw them in Minneapolis a few years ago and it was pretty disappointing. There were some cool trick shots but not really worth it unless you have young kids.
    That's what I read in ticketmaster.com reviews - I actually considered taking my son to the event this Spring, however I am hesitant after reading the reviews: easy to anticipate tricks, the shots that didn't get in, etc. Even some wrote that the kids got really bored and disappointed



  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 92,066, Level: 94
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 1,084
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    capitalcityguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    5,515
    Points
    92,066
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 200
    Given: 186

    Re: Harlem Globetrotters

    If anything, their longevity should tell you something.

    I loved them as a kid myself.


    CCG

  9. #9
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 6,857, Level: 24
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 193
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Cedar Rapids
    Posts
    283
    Points
    6,857
    Level
    24
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Harlem Globetrotters

    My dad and some of his friends took a bunch of us kids to a Globetrotters game in CR when I was younger. Our seats ended up being in the first row, and at one point in the game one of the players came over, sat on my dad's lap, and then started eating his popcorn. Obviously a fun memory that has stuck with me.

    That said, that was 15 years ago. No idea if their act is still any good or if it will appeal to today's youth. I wouldn't go if you aren't planning on taking a kid under 10.



  10. #10
    Starter
    Points: 27,659, Level: 51
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 991
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    CRCy17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Rahway, NJ
    Posts
    850
    Points
    27,659
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 6

    Re: Harlem Globetrotters

    I don't blame the players for the tricks not working or the shots not going in all the time. I worked with a guy this summer who played for them a few years back (Lawrence Wright, played at Bradley).

    We became good friends and he said how incredibly overworked most of the players who werent the "main characters" were. He mentioned that he was part of the "competitive" squad (filler group that actually plays basketball) and a part of the "show" squad.

    Not only are these guys doing shows about 150 days a year, they are also participating in full on college-like practices on "off days". Then, if they were on the show squad like my friend, they would have another practice where they would have to practice all the tricks and dunks etc.

    Should the guys being paid big bucks to be a part of the Harlem Globetrotters be able to perform? Yeah, but do remember there is a reason they arent taking these shots in the NBA and they are hard to do. I would fully suggest going to see the show as said before if you have never seen it or have kids.

    Also, seeing my friend spin the ball on his finger, behind his back, and then transfer it to the tip of a pen he is holding in his mouth is still about the coolest ball trick ive seen in person, and I had the pleasure of seeing him show off all summer haha

    Sorry for the long reply, but my main point is don't be deterred by some negative reviews, heck the Globetrotters have even lost games before, check them out its a fun time and great experience



  11. #11
    All-Star
    Points: 24,376, Level: 47
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 174
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,502
    Points
    24,376
    Level
    47
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Harlem Globetrotters

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclone13 View Post
    That's what I read in ticketmaster.com reviews - I actually considered taking my son to the event this Spring, however I am hesitant after reading the reviews: easy to anticipate tricks, the shots that didn't get in, etc. Even some wrote that the kids got really bored and disappointed
    I'm not sure how the kids got bored or were disappointed, I took my 6 year old to them when they were in Des Moines last spring and she loved it, so we are going back in April, but there is action going on all the time and they have stuff for the kids to do on the concourse level as well.



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 92,066, Level: 94
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 1,084
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    capitalcityguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    5,515
    Points
    92,066
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 200
    Given: 186

    Re: Harlem Globetrotters

    Quote Originally Posted by CRCy17 View Post
    I don't blame the players for the tricks not working or the shots not going in all the time. I worked with a guy this summer who played for them a few years back (Lawrence Wright, played at Bradley).

    We became good friends and he said how incredibly overworked most of the players who werent the "main characters" were. He mentioned that he was part of the "competitive" squad (filler group that actually plays basketball) and a part of the "show" squad.

    Not only are these guys doing shows about 150 days a year, they are also participating in full on college-like practices on "off days". Then, if they were on the show squad like my friend, they would have another practice where they would have to practice all the tricks and dunks etc.

    Should the guys being paid big bucks to be a part of the Harlem Globetrotters be able to perform? Yeah, but do remember there is a reason they arent taking these shots in the NBA and they are hard to do. I would fully suggest going to see the show as said before if you have never seen it or have kids.

    Also, seeing my friend spin the ball on his finger, behind his back, and then transfer it to the tip of a pen he is holding in his mouth is still about the coolest ball trick ive seen in person, and I had the pleasure of seeing him show off all summer haha

    Sorry for the long reply, but my main point is don't be deterred by some negative reviews, heck the Globetrotters have even lost games before, check them out its a fun time and great experience
    Really appreciate your insight. Interesting.

    That said, my guess is almost everyone on here has worked some very crappy jobs (that didn't involve being able to participate in their favorite sport) so it might be hard to find too much sympathy here. Just a guess.


    CCG

  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 135,824, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Naughtius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Central IA
    Posts
    2,624
    Points
    135,824
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 5

    Re: Harlem Globetrotters

    Definitely worth it if you have kids. I took my kids the last 2 times they were here, and they loved it (ages 7 - 14). It didn't hurt that we were "victims" of the bucket gag. First time I had my boys, and they dove under their chair. Confetti. Next time they thought they were cool and stayed pat. Guess what? Water in the bucket.


    "Me not winning isn't important. You do!"

  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 92,066, Level: 94
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 1,084
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    capitalcityguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    5,515
    Points
    92,066
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 200
    Given: 186

    Re: Harlem Globetrotters

    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyescott View Post
    I'm not sure how the kids got bored or were disappointed, I took my 6 year old to them when they were in Des Moines last spring and she loved it, so we are going back in April, but there is action going on all the time and they have stuff for the kids to do on the concourse level as well.
    I can. They've spent too much time in front of TV, video games, etc.


    CCG

  15. #15
    Starter
    Points: 27,659, Level: 51
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 991
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    CRCy17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Rahway, NJ
    Posts
    850
    Points
    27,659
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 6

    Re: Harlem Globetrotters

    Quote Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
    Really appreciate your insight. Interesting.

    That said, my guess is almost everyone on here has worked some very crappy jobs (that didn't involve being able to participate in their favorite sport) so it might be hard to find too much sympathy here. Just a guess.
    Yeah that is true. I guess with my personal relationship to someone on the other side of it im easy to side with their point of view.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Fox Sports Net
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. Texas Tech
  • November 22, 2014
  • 02:30 PM