Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 87
    Given: 0

Royals - Meche retires

You have to hand it to the guy, leaving that much cash on the table just because he believes he won't be able to perform to his own standards. However, we are now looking at a pitching rotation for the Royals that was terrible before but now is borderline laughable. Who is the day one starter? Hochevar? Bannister? Francis? I mean it's hilarious. Does the pitching staff have an ERA this season under 6.00? I bet they don't. Honestly, when stuff like this continues to happen, I just feel bad for the remaining players on the roster. Well, at least the ones that would be in the league on any other team.

Pro
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 263
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 5

Re: Royals - Meche retires

I have to admit, I would have taken the money and tried to rehab. Of course I have no cash in the bank either but still.

Nothing to see here mods. Keep moving.

Recruit
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 33
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    You have to hand it to the guy, leaving that much cash on the table just because he believes he won't be able to perform to his own standards. However, we are now looking at a pitching rotation for the Royals that was terrible before but now is borderline laughable. Who is the day one starter? Hochevar? Bannister? Francis? I mean it's hilarious. Does the pitching staff have an ERA this season under 6.00? I bet they don't. Honestly, when stuff like this continues to happen, I just feel bad for the remaining players on the roster. Well, at least the ones that would be in the league on any other team.
    Meche was slated for relief not the rotation in 2011. So, I guess the rotation goes back to being terrible, not laughable?

Rookie
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 77
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The Royals have been planning on punting 2011 anyway, so I don't think Meche's decision will affect any sort of chance at being competitive the Royals had this year. I agree it was an incredibly unselfish move that Meche made...especially since it would be pretty easy to argue that the Royals' handling of Meche's shoulder injury effectively ended his career.

Pro
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 411
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Quote Originally Posted by j_crow View Post
    The Royals have been planning on punting 2011 anyway, so I don't think Meche's decision will affect any sort of chance at being competitive the Royals had this year. I agree it was an incredibly unselfish move that Meche made...especially since it would be pretty easy to argue that the Royals' handling of Meche's shoulder injury effectively ended his career.

The royals have been planning on punting for the past 10 years at least and will probably plan on punting for 10 years after this as well.

Rookie
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 77
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by pyrocyz View Post
    The royals have been planning on punting for the past 10 years at least and will probably plan on punting for 10 years after this as well.
    Clearly, you are not up to speed on "Mission 2012."

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 103
    Given: 19

As a Royal's fan, I freely admit they may reach unseen levels of suckitude this year.

That said:

Royals>Cubs

Pro
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 411
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Quote Originally Posted by j_crow View Post
    Clearly, you are not up to speed on "Mission 2012."
    Which can quickly become Mission 2013 or 2014 and so on.

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 175
    Given: 67

Beautiful ball park, great F'n city, too bad...

Pro
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,036
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 29

Meche wasn't an option for the rotation this year & in all seriousness having Meche in the bullpen wasn't going to help all THAT much. It's definitely a nice gesture on Gil's part, but it's impact on the 2011 Royals rotation is practically zero. 2011 is going to be a lost season for the Royals, so they'll spend the whole year giving their stable of mediocre starters a chance to prove themselves (Hochevar, Davies, Mazzaro, Francis, O'Sullivan, Chen, etc.) I think Hochevar still has a chance of taking a step forward and proving himself a capable 3 or 4 guy in the rotation so this is a big year for him.

The real key to the Royals' future success is going to be how do guys like Montgomery, Lamb, Dwyer, Duffy, Odorizzi, et al. develop on the mound. They've got the best minor league system in baseball right now. That's not a guarantee for future success by any means, but KC's future looks better now than at any other point in probably the last 25 years.

Pro
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 516
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Call me stupid, dumb, or just a Royals fan who has the cup half full instead of half empty, but I refuse to write off the 2011 season when spring training hasn't even begun yet.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 424
    Given: 213

Hoch/Francis/Mazarro/Chen/Davies. Something like that, I don't know the exact order, just figured they'll alternate lefty-righty. The only reason I put Hoch at the top spot is from the way Yost has been talking, and I really think they will start him on opening day if for no other reason than he was the former #1 pick and there's not anyone else on the staff signficantly better. Meche didn't effect the rotation at all since he was slated to be a 12.4M middle reliever.

Really, I don't think our staff will be much worse than last year (Greinke had a down year, Banny, O'Sullivan, and others were just terrible). I think the team will be somewhere close to where they were last season as well, the excitement from this season will come from watching the young studs get promoted and get their feet wet in the big leagues. Oh yeah, and another year of hoping Gordon finally breaks out.

Pro
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,036
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 29

Quote Originally Posted by garn91 View Post
    Call me stupid, dumb, or just a Royals fan who has the cup half full instead of half empty, but I refuse to write off the 2011 season when spring training hasn't even begun yet.
    I wouldn't call you stupid or dumb, I'd call you a baseball fan. I don't expect the Royals to do anything this year, but you never know what's going to happen. The 2003 Royals were a terrible team and yet somehow managed to lead the division for almost the entire season.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 424
    Given: 213

Quote Originally Posted by pyrocyz View Post
    Hopefully the unanimous best minor league system in baseball will have something to say about that (and some analysts even call it the best minor league system they have ever seen). Of course, since they are the Royals, you just know something will go wrong with all of the "can't miss" prospects.

Pro
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 516
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CloneIce View Post
    Hoch/Francis/Mazarro/Chen/Davies. Something like that, I don't know the exact order, just figured they'll alternate lefty-righty. The only reason I put Hoch at the top spot is from the way Yost has been talking, and I really think they will start him on opening day if for no other reason than he was the former #1 pick and there's not anyone else on the staff signficantly better. Meche didn't effect the rotation at all since he was slated to be a 12.4M middle reliever.

Really, I don't think our staff will be much worse than last year (Greinke had a down year, Banny, O'Sullivan, and others were just terrible). I think the team will be somewhere close to where they were last season as well, the excitement from this season will come from watching the young studs get promoted and get their feet wet in the big leagues. Oh yeah, and another year of hoping Gordon finally breaks out.
    Starting rotation is the big question mark for me as Hochaver has never lived up expecations as a top draft and Davies really hasn't done squat since coming over from the ATL several years ago.

With the additions KC has made this off season, they should be much better defensively and I think having a full spring training at LF will help Gordon as well.

But I agree, all eyes will be focused on NW Arkansas & Omaha and keeping an eye on what happens down on the farm with guys like Moose, Hosmer, Montgomery, Crow, etc.