Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsYour first Group

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 50

One Thought/Criticism

I'm not sure if our players are coach this way or if it is a habit, but it is a pet peeve of mine. So many times during last night's game or other games, if someone on the other team takes an outside shot, our player runs by him. Why don't we run at him and stop in front rather than run by him?

There have been numerous times where we do this and take ourselves completely out of the rebound. We cannot afford to only go to the boards with 4 guys. Many times a shooter can follow his shot and there is nobody close to him and he doesn't get boxed out. I like to see players run at the shooter then box them out.

That's one thing I watch a lot during high school games. Strong rebounding teams will box out the open shooters rather than just running by them.

Thoughts?

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 168
    Given: 556

Re: One Thought/Criticism

Agreed. When playing with a smaller lineup like we were last night boxing out is critical. You can't have smaller guys on the floor and then leave guys free to crash the boards cause you will get beat on the boards 9 times out of 10.

My only other concern is with the turnovers. Sometimes it seems that we have too many offensive possessions where one guy takes it upon himself to go 1 on 1 and if he gets himself into trouble he just throws the ball away. You have to value the basketball if you want to win games.

Losing the battle on the boards and the turnover margin = Losing games.

I certainly think this team is capable of playing with any team in the Big XII and we have seen them do it in the Kansas & Okie State games. They just need to clean up a couple of things and it would make a big difference.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 85.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 312
    Given: 258

Quote Originally Posted by isufan View Post
    I'm not sure if our players are coach this way or if it is a habit, but it is a pet peeve of mine. So many times during last night's game or other games, if someone on the other team takes an outside shot, our player runs by him. Why don't we run at him and stop in front rather than run by him?

There have been numerous times where we do this and take ourselves completely out of the rebound. We cannot afford to only go to the boards with 4 guys. Many times a shooter can follow his shot and there is nobody close to him and he doesn't get boxed out. I like to see players run at the shooter then box them out.

That's one thing I watch a lot during high school games. Strong rebounding teams will box out the open shooters rather than just running by them.

Thoughts?
    It worked against the non conference teams.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 320
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 7

I'm afraid we're going to see more teams try to take away the 3 and force us to drive. We had some success driving, but Tech didn't have a big inside shot blocker. Teams that do will make it very tough for us. With no inside game we have to hit at least 7-8 3's or more to have a chance. That said, we have to give Tech some credit. They start 5 seniors and played well last night, and had both their inside and outside game working.

All-Star
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 268
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

One criticism from me. How did Singleterry (sp?) play with 4 fouls for 12 minutes and never foul out. This one is on the coaches, never once did Bubu who he was guarding take the ball offensively at him. Bubu has shown he can draw fouls, and without Singleterry in that game we win easily.

All-Star
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 236
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 30

My pet peeve is when a player gives the defensive player an up fake and the defender jumps right at him and the offensive player dodges him to avoid the foul. This drives me crazy as the offensive player you faked the guy out - make him pay with the foul and you get easier points at the foul line.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I think you mean Roberson, Singletary was their inside player that killed us. If BuBu was guarding him, I see why he killed us. Roberson got his 4th foul later than Singletary and did foul out.

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

To me with the nonconference teams we seemed to work the ball around more and others had confidence. Now DG takes the ball and everyone clears out not working the ball at al unless he absolutely has to.

ďAlso, I met a lot of Iowa State fans and I donít want to leave any of that behind.Ē - DARIUS DARKS on Staying a CLONE!!!

Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

Pro
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 545
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by isufan View Post

Thoughts?
    I think the idea is the challenge the shot, either blocking it or more likely just getting a hand in the guys face to alter or impede the shot. When you are closing out on an open shooter, you have to sort of run by the guy to get your hand in his face. If you try and close out and stop in front if him, there is no way that you can get a hand in his face.

I'm guessing this is what the coaches want them to do. Since you can't have the best of both worlds in those situations (contest the shot and be in good rebounding position), the coaches are choosing to challenge the shot and then get down the floor for the fast break.

Starter
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 192
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 12

Quote Originally Posted by Clone9 View Post
    I think the idea is the challenge the shot, either blocking it or more likely just getting a hand in the guys face to alter or impede the shot. When you are closing out on an open shooter, you have to sort of run by the guy to get your hand in his face. If you try and close out and stop in front if him, there is no way that you can get a hand in his face.

I'm guessing this is what the coaches want them to do. Since you can't have the best of both worlds in those situations (contest the shot and be in good rebounding position), the coaches are choosing to challenge the shot and then get down the floor for the fast break.
    To add to your point, I remember when I was playing defenders would sometime just run right past me when I've got an open look. And seeing them run at you can create the illusion that they are going to run right into, forcing you to alter your shot. I'm not sure if this is what they are trying to do or not, but it ****** me off when I played in high school.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

ISUCyclone06- I didn't notice that Singletary was guarding BuBu, which was unusual since he's 5-6 inches taller. I don't know, but I assume he would have just sagged off and dared BuBu to shoot 3's. But being 5 inches taller, he could back off a ways and still contest BuBu's 3 point attempts.

All-Star
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 268
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

I do believe that was the case, I would have to watch the replay to be sure, but it was more of a zone sag defense but Bubu was always in the corner where Singletary was. Even if it wasn't Bubu we should have tried to draw his 5th foul early.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 199
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 30

I think it was Singletary that had the obvious hack that was called a jump ball, so he probably really did foul out.