Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

OT - Let's Talk Global Warming Again

TheStar.com - sciencetech - Red faces at NASA over climate-change blunder

Wonder what the inventor of the internet will have to say about this?

Addict Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Re: OT - Let's Talk Global Warming Again

Quote Originally Posted by cys_av8r View Post
    TheStar.com - sciencetech - Red faces at NASA over climate-change blunder

Wonder what the inventor of the internet will have to say about this?
    That you wouldn't have been able to read that article, let alone post on this message board if he didn't invent the internet in his spare time between saving Mother Earth and Censoring American Music Industry.

Just so everyone is clear. Global Warming is a Theory, not a fact. Drives me nuts when people act like it's a fact. I believe the theory, but don't know if it's because of humans or just a natural occurence in climate.

"If you can't hear me, it's because I'm in parentheses."

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CTAClone View Post
    Just so everyone is clear. Global Warming is a Theory, not a fact.
    Good gravy.

So we've come full circle - first, it global warming doesn't exist. Then, it exists, but isn't due to human involvement. Now we're back to it doesn't exist?

I think it's pretty well accepted - even GWB has said so - that global warming is a fact and exists. Even the guy who pointed out the flaw says the fact that 1998 is no longer the warmest ever, says as much. The change is im-material to overall global climate science.

Where I do agree with you is that the reasoning is all theory. But I can't tell you the last time I heard that global warming was still just a theory. Well, from anyone other than Rush....

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

It is by definition of theory and fact, a theory. It is not possible to prove that it is due to human activity. Period. There is evidence to support both sides of the debate.

BTW, I do believe that human activity has an effect. Just not as drastic as some believe. I believe that the natural cycles and other naturally occurring events have a bigger effect. If you are old enough to remember Mount St. Helen erupting, that event effected weather drastically for months if not years.

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 732
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

so does everyone think Blythe will have less double coverage this year with a lot of additional talent lined up in the receiving corps?

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.

Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Walk On
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 330
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Level
    Thumbs Up

We do know that co2 is a greenhouse gas. We also know that there is more in the atmosphere than there has been in a very long time. Unleashing millions upon millions of tons of oil and coal that have been trapped for however long you would think would have some effect.

Addict Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    Good gravy.

So we've come full circle - first, it global warming doesn't exist. Then, it exists, but isn't due to human involvement. Now we're back to it doesn't exist?

I think it's pretty well accepted - even GWB has said so - that global warming is a fact and exists. Even the guy who pointed out the flaw says the fact that 1998 is no longer the warmest ever, says as much. The change is im-material to overall global climate science.

Where I do agree with you is that the reasoning is all theory. But I can't tell you the last time I heard that global warming was still just a theory. Well, from anyone other than Rush....
    Just so you know, I am an environmentalist. I do think that we are polluting the earth and it's harmful to the environment. I advocate the use of alternative fuels I just don't go blindly into believing something with out researching it first.

My point is that Global Warming is a Theory and my point is exactly what you said, you haven't heard it's a theory except from Limbaugh. Everyone thinks it's fact, and it's not. Their is evidence that supports it, but it isn't proven. And that's my point. People just except that we are warming up the earth when that is just a possibility among a bunch of different possibilities.

Glaciers Are Melting: Is it caused from Global Warming or are they melting just like they have been for thousands of years? Heard once from a geologists that actually some glaciers are gaining in size but not sure if I should take him at his word.

Urban Average Temps are higher: Is it caused by Global Warming or because cities are getting bigger? Have also heard that the time frame of accurate temparature readings isn't a good way to judge if the temparature rates are rising. Too Small of a time frame to actually judge. Also, there have been I think it's 2 Ice Ages that we know about in the history of the earth. We don't know why they happened, could actually be a natural occurence of the earth. Could that be a reason why it seems like temparature is rising over the last 50 years? Does the earth actually cycle through temparature changes?

I'm glad people are concerned for the environment because it can only better us, I just don't like people talking about things like it's a fact. I don't like people being told things over and over and pretty soon everyone believes. At one point everyone believed the earth was flat. People actually believe that E=mc2 is a fact. That's also a theory. Hawking actually disputes a lot of what Einstein believed was true. I'm babbling now. Good bye.

"If you can't hear me, it's because I'm in parentheses."

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

My intent isn't to try and call you out as a polluter or anti-environment.

Maybe I'm not up to speed on what is considered fact and what is considered theory - especially in the arena of climate change. But I still can't garner from what you said about glaciers melting or urban temps as anything other than fact - the average of worldwide temps is higher, ie Global warming. As I said, I think both sides acknowledge a warming of the earth over a fairly recent period of time. You bring up a good point in the time frame and whether the data is worthy of being judged upon. But I think if you go back even 50 years, you'll see a warming.

But why is there a warming?

Again, I for one believe that mankind IS having a negative impact on the environment. But as to the actual, proveable reasons - there seem to be very little. Hence any reasons for warming on either side is pure theory.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Whether it's real or not is beyond irrelevant. The issue is about money, nothing else matters. As long as elected officials can be bought, global warming doesn't exist.

'tiny little text etched into her neck it said "jesus lived and died for all your sins." she's got blue black ink and it's scratched into her lower back. it said: "damn right i'll rise again." yeah, damn right you'll rise again.'

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 366
    Given: 152

Global warming is in fact occuring, we have scientific data to back that up. However, we have about 100 years of this scientific data and are trying to compare it to billions of years of climate on the earth. To me, that is pretty silly...but not to others I guess. So since it can't be proven that mankind is the cause of this warming event, it's a theory.

It's like watching 1 single play of an Iowa State football game and trying to predict the outcome...its nearly impossible.

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Speechless
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,398
    Given: 656

Quote Originally Posted by joepublic View Post
    Whether it's real or not is beyond irrelevant. The issue is about money, nothing else matters. As long as elected officials can be bought, global warming doesn't exist.
    The real money to be made is on the other side of the issue. Companies are now seeing that they can use the panic to upgrade their facilities at their customer's, and taxpayer's, expense. Scientists can also get tons of research grant money by supporting what is popular. Some companies, like BP- British Petroleum, not Beyond Petroleum, have been betting on man-made global warming winning the debate. Now that other companies are seeing that side winning, they are jumping over to cash in. Bush's supporters are among them.

Legend
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

The following link is a summary of a paper published in a respected, peer-reviewed scientific journal (Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics) in which the reseachers projected global cooling over the next few decades.

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post
    Global warming is in fact occuring, we have scientific data to back that up. However, we have about 100 years of this scientific data and are trying to compare it to billions of years of climate on the earth. To me, that is pretty silly...but not to others I guess. So since it can't be proven that mankind is the cause of this warming event, it's a theory.
    That sums it up pretty well. It is happening. Mabye next week will see the beginning of a huge debate on global cooling (Gosh, I hope so - this weather sucks!)

However, we can readily see man's negative impact all over nature due to pollution. In the seas, in rivers, on land. Complete ecosystems have been devastated by our actions, and in the recent past. I don't think it's outrageous to surmise that we are doing the same in the atmosphere with horrifically enormous results.

Can I prove it?

No.

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by alaskaguy View Post
    ...in which the reseachers projected global cooling over the next few decades.
    Again - boy I hope so!!

This heat wave has been sucking! How's the weather up there?