Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27
  1. #1
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 71,897, Level: 83
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,253
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cyfan964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    4 blocks from the Jack
    Posts
    4,547
    Points
    71,897
    Level
    83
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 161

    Whelp, I did it. I ate at Mangostino's.

    Ask away.



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 399,000, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    58,861
    Points
    399,000
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 555
    Given: 355

    Re: Whelp, I did it. I ate at Mangostino's.

    Discuss.


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 173,631, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    RayShimley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    6,020
    Points
    173,631
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 25

    Re: Whelp, I did it. I ate at Mangostino's.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Discuss.
    I noticed they re-painted the building recently. I still haven't been able to talk myself into going there.



  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 82,393, Level: 89
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,357
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    5,848
    Points
    82,393
    Level
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93
    Given: 0

    Re: Whelp, I did it. I ate at Mangostino's.

    Didn't know it existed, but I went to the online menu and it didn't look too bad. The steaks were reasonably priced.

    So, what'd you have?



  5. #5
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 71,897, Level: 83
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,253
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cyfan964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    4 blocks from the Jack
    Posts
    4,547
    Points
    71,897
    Level
    83
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 161

    Re: Whelp, I did it. I ate at Mangostino's.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Discuss.
    Beside the fact that it looks like a place someone would bring you upon being kidnapped from the outside, the inside was similar to any other dive bar restaurant you would eat at in Iowa. It's run by one guy, in his mid 60's I'd say, who's just about as nice as they come.

    The menu is an eclectic mix of dishes from Mexico to South America.

    I had an avocado type blt sandwich that was outstanding. He told us that he changes the menu frequently and offers a daily special.

    He also doesn't have american soda, but offers this:

    Google Image Result for http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_xGKbC2bomCM/RyrSDeDvtBI/AAAAAAAAA2I/IgWBp00Nhog/s400/70686813.jpg

    , which is pretty much "win" in a can. I'm currently looking at finding where I can buy a case of the stuff.

    I'll be going back. I love dives.



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 173,631, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    RayShimley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    6,020
    Points
    173,631
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 25

    Re: Whelp, I did it. I ate at Mangostino's.

    Quote Originally Posted by cyfan964 View Post
    Beside the fact that it looks like a place someone would bring you upon being kidnapped from the outside, the inside was similar to any other dive bar restaurant you would eat at in Iowa. It's run by one guy, in his mid 60's I'd say, who's just about as nice as they come.

    The menu is an eclectic mix of dishes from Mexico to South America.

    I had an avocado type blt sandwich that was outstanding. He told us that he changes the menu frequently and offers a daily special.

    He also doesn't have american soda, but offers this:

    Google Image Result for http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_xGKbC2bomCM/RyrSDeDvtBI/AAAAAAAAA2I/IgWBp00Nhog/s400/70686813.jpg

    , which is pretty much "win" in a can. I'm currently looking at finding where I can buy a case of the stuff.

    I'll be going back. I love dives.
    Interesting. Did you go there for lunch? Is it cash only?



  7. #7
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 71,897, Level: 83
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,253
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cyfan964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    4 blocks from the Jack
    Posts
    4,547
    Points
    71,897
    Level
    83
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 161

    Re: Whelp, I did it. I ate at Mangostino's.

    Quote Originally Posted by RayShimley View Post
    Interesting. Did you go there for lunch? Is it cash only?
    As far as money goes, we paid cash... I didn't see a machine anywhere, but he may accept cards.

    Went there for lunch today with a friend. We were the only one's in there. It looks like it is more of a Hispanic night club type place, but he has a pretty extensive menu and everything is prepared on order by him.

    Don't want to get everyone excited... it's basically a bar that serves food, but it's unusual food and it tastes good if you like trying new things.

    Instead of fries we were served yuca fries, which supposedly are some central american tuber similar to a potato. They were quite good.



  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 173,631, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    RayShimley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    6,020
    Points
    173,631
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 25

    Re: Whelp, I did it. I ate at Mangostino's.

    Quote Originally Posted by cyfan964 View Post
    As far as money goes, we paid cash... I didn't see a machine anywhere, but he may accept cards.

    Went there for lunch today with a friend. We were the only one's in there. It looks like it is more of a Hispanic night club type place, but he has a pretty extensive menu and everything is prepared on order by him.

    Don't want to get everyone excited... it's basically a bar that serves food, but it's unusual food and it tastes good if you like trying new things.

    Instead of fries we were served yuca fries, which supposedly are some central american tuber similar to a potato. They were quite good.
    Oh don't worry about getting me overly excited, I drive by that place frequently on the way to UPS or FedEx, I know what I'm getting into! How do you compare it to food at say Cafe Baudelaire?



  9. #9
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 71,897, Level: 83
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,253
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cyfan964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    4 blocks from the Jack
    Posts
    4,547
    Points
    71,897
    Level
    83
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 161

    Re: Whelp, I did it. I ate at Mangostino's.

    Quote Originally Posted by RayShimley View Post
    Oh don't worry about getting me overly excited, I drive by that place frequently on the way to UPS or FedEx, I know what I'm getting into! How do you compare it to food at say Cafe Baudelaire?
    Cafe Beaudelaire is my favorite restaurant in Ames. I would say the types of dishes on there would be similar in their uniqueness. He had several lamb dishes, a couple of seafood dishes, baba ganoush... basically stuff you aren't going to find any other places in town.

    What I had wasn't as good as Beaudelaire, but it's different, which I like. I did notice that most of the food had numerous sauces or ingredients so both things we tried were very flavorful.



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 112,504, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    JP4CY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sommerset
    Posts
    6,301
    Points
    112,504
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 333
    Given: 138

    Re: Whelp, I did it. I ate at Mangostino's.

    It's Lovish for those of you that remember him. He owns the Magnostinos building while he was renting the campustown one. He wasn't getting anyone to rent out Magnostinos from him and moved his operations there and I drive by it daily and don't see too much activity.
    I think a lot of his money is from phone cards, hispanic money transfers, etc.



  11. #11
    Starter
    Points: 35,386, Level: 57
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    854
    Points
    35,386
    Level
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 128
    Given: 78

    Re: Whelp, I did it. I ate at Mangostino's.

    Quote Originally Posted by JP4CY View Post
    It's Lovish for those of you that remember him. He owns the Magnostinos building while he was renting the campustown one. He wasn't getting anyone to rent out Magnostinos from him and moved his operations there and I drive by it daily and don't see too much activity.
    I think a lot of his money is from phone cards, hispanic money transfers, etc.
    Ah, the old, old Hickory Park building. Now I know what you are talking about. I'm nervious about trying any restraurant that isn't busy. Hard to say how long the food sits around....

    When we go out for lunch we usually end up at the Cafe.



  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 57,707, Level: 74
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 843
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CycloneGB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,916
    Points
    57,707
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 42

    Re: Whelp, I did it. I ate at Mangostino's.

    Quote Originally Posted by cyfan964 View Post
    Cafe Beaudelaire is my favorite restaurant in Ames. I would say the types of dishes on there would be similar in their uniqueness. He had several lamb dishes, a couple of seafood dishes, baba ganoush... basically stuff you aren't going to find any other places in town.

    What I had wasn't as good as Beaudelaire, but it's different, which I like. I did notice that most of the food had numerous sauces or ingredients so both things we tried were very flavorful.
    I never knew that was actually a food. The only time I had ever heard it was on that Japanese game show deal on Spike. Learn something new every day on this board.




  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 135,711, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Naughtius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Central IA
    Posts
    2,621
    Points
    135,711
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 4

    Re: Whelp, I did it. I ate at Mangostino's.

    Whelp?


    "Me not winning isn't important. You do!"

  14. #14
    Legend
    Points: 314,681, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    CyCrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Rolling dirty in Roland.
    Posts
    14,696
    Points
    314,681
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 218
    Given: 41

    Re: Whelp, I did it. I ate at Mangostino's.

    I actually thought it was closed the last few times I was on E. Lincoln.

    Who knew....



  15. #15
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 71,897, Level: 83
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,253
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cyfan964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    4 blocks from the Jack
    Posts
    4,547
    Points
    71,897
    Level
    83
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 161

    Re: Whelp, I did it. I ate at Mangostino's.

    Quote Originally Posted by Naughtius View Post
    Whelp?
    via urbandictionary.com :

    To be used in place of 'well', when one feels there is no more to say. This word was originally brought to the peoples' attention in 1994, from Jim Carrey in the cult classic, Dumb & Dumber.
    This is simply one of the many words and phrases that continue to be used in teen conversation today.
    Initial use of/birth of the word: "Hey fellas. Big Gulps, huh? Welp, see ya later!"



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FS1
  • Iowa State @ Oklahoma State
  • October 4, 2014
  • 11:00 AM