Publisher
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 809
    Given: 206

Prospect Profile: Aaron Horne

Thanks to Yaman3 for this prospect profile featuring Aaron Horne. As always, great stuff!

Iowa State Football Recruiting Prospect Profile: Aaron Horne | Cyclone Fanatic

Rookie
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Prospect Profile: Aaron Horne

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    Thanks to Yaman3 for this prospect profile featuring Aaron Horne. As always, great stuff!

I think he is an immediate player, here is why.
    1) With their chemistry, which was pretty obvious, the both Aaron and Steele will perform better together. I don't think he red-shirts because he will either be 2nd string with Jantz or starting with Jantz.

2) The guy knows how to create separation. You only get to see it in a couple of the passes because of the camera angle, but he's got a great stomp/stutter step that even if for just a split second, makes the D react, he capitalizes. He also had a shoulder hitch, more obvious in the highlights which creates separation. Pretty much on most one on one coverage he's able to turn his cover man, which gives Steele the ability to read and throw to the side Aaron has established position. In the Big 12 that will translate into possibly more Pass Interferences than TDs because they're smarter, but I'll take it if he can create it.

3) Like Steele, Aaron has had doubters and performed at the top of his game at the best Juco in the country. He is at ISU today because he was a qualifier out of HS. He was a qualifier who went to Juco, because he wasn't willing to move to DB because of his size. He wants the ball and wants to receive the ball. So he goes a premiere JUCO for producing QBs and skilled position players, and he doesn't just have good numbers, he has great numbers. That is a thirsty kid. I'm sure there are a few insecurities with him about playing at an FBS, but playing with a guy he already has chemistry with at a school that runs the same exact system he had at CCofSF is going to make him more secure in his decision and he has all spring to adjust to the coaches, players and system.

4) There are also times we see Aaron sit down in the coverage and it isn't by accident, twice he peeled his under route early because he saw the CB had gone after the QB. He can recognize when his QB is in trouble and adjust heading to the right spot. There was also the play where he peeled early on the CB blitz and then turned up field when the pass didn't hit him on the peel because Steele's protection picked up the blitz. It turned a 7 yrd play into a 25 yrd gain. We all saw what happened in the video when they tried man coverage or they had man with plenty of safety help but either one or both safeties were a step or two out of position, but he also was pretty good filling space or going to space or sitting down in space with the zone coverage. It shows a good head for the game to go along with his athleticism and chemistry with Jantz.

5) Lastly, I see the mold he fits in this system and what it means to a guy like Lampkin just a couple years behind him. Sure, they are from the same recruiting class, but Lampkin reminds me a whole lot of Aaron, especially when I see the special teams plays. If we can space having Aaron for two years at WR while Lampkin returns this year and next and understudies Aaron the next two years, he then can be ready to fill Aaron's spot when he is a Junior and Aaron is getting ready for the draft (thinking positive here). If Aaron redshirts, then I think Lampkin does too, if Lampkin redshirts, I could see Aaron redshirting too, but I think our need for him is greater now than later.

Honor before Victory

Pro
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,312
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 393
    Given: 478

Quote Originally Posted by ljhlax View Post
    I think he is an immediate player, here is why.
    1) With their chemistry, which was pretty obvious, the both Aaron and Steele will perform better together. I don't think he red-shirts because he will either be 2nd string with Jantz or starting with Jantz.

2) The guy knows how to create separation. You only get to see it in a couple of the passes because of the camera angle, but he's got a great stomp/stutter step that even if for just a split second, makes the D react, he capitalizes. He also had a shoulder hitch, more obvious in the highlights which creates separation. Pretty much on most one on one coverage he's able to turn his cover man, which gives Steele the ability to read and throw to the side Aaron has established position. In the Big 12 that will translate into possibly more Pass Interferences than TDs because they're smarter, but I'll take it if he can create it.

3) Like Steele, Aaron has had doubters and performed at the top of his game at the best Juco in the country. He is at ISU today because he was a qualifier out of HS. He was a qualifier who went to Juco, because he wasn't willing to move to DB because of his size. He wants the ball and wants to receive the ball. So he goes a premiere JUCO for producing QBs and skilled position players, and he doesn't just have good numbers, he has great numbers. That is a thirsty kid. I'm sure there are a few insecurities with him about playing at an FBS, but playing with a guy he already has chemistry with at a school that runs the same exact system he had at CCofSF is going to make him more secure in his decision and he has all spring to adjust to the coaches, players and system.

4) There are also times we see Aaron sit down in the coverage and it isn't by accident, twice he peeled his under route early because he saw the CB had gone after the QB. He can recognize when his QB is in trouble and adjust heading to the right spot. There was also the play where he peeled early on the CB blitz and then turned up field when the pass didn't hit him on the peel because Steele's protection picked up the blitz. It turned a 7 yrd play into a 25 yrd gain. We all saw what happened in the video when they tried man coverage or they had man with plenty of safety help but either one or both safeties were a step or two out of position, but he also was pretty good filling space or going to space or sitting down in space with the zone coverage. It shows a good head for the game to go along with his athleticism and chemistry with Jantz.

5) Lastly, I see the mold he fits in this system and what it means to a guy like Lampkin just a couple years behind him. Sure, they are from the same recruiting class, but Lampkin reminds me a whole lot of Aaron, especially when I see the special teams plays. If we can space having Aaron for two years at WR while Lampkin returns this year and next and understudies Aaron the next two years, he then can be ready to fill Aaron's spot when he is a Junior and Aaron is getting ready for the draft (thinking positive here). If Aaron redshirts, then I think Lampkin does too, if Lampkin redshirts, I could see Aaron redshirting too, but I think our need for him is greater now than later.
    Welcome to Cyclone Fanatic, Aaron Horne!

Pro
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 926
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsYour first Group

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 51

Thanks for the info Yaman 3 and ljhlax. I'm also excited to see what this guy can do. Hopefully, Aaron takes this opportunity that ISU has given him and works his tail off to get in the two-deeps this spring. Like others have said, chemistry between QB and WR is huge and Jantz and Horne apparently already have that going. He seems to be a very smart player than runs good routes and uses his hands well.

Starter
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 678
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post

One correction to his assessment. Darks does not have good hands. He might have had good hands before he got lit up against Oklahoma, but average at best after. Hopefully he turns it around, but I want Horne to have even better hands.