Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

New Caseys in Ames

I was in Ames over the weekend and ate at El Azteka (very good service) and I noticed a Casey's going up buy the new Fareway. Does anyone know when the Casey's will be opening?

"Hug It Out."

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Re: New Caseys in Ames

I drive down Stange through somerset everyday and it would be nice to get some Casey's coffee. Sorry I don't know when it is opening, but I would like to know.

Starter
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dundermifflin View Post
    Does anyone know when the Casey's will be opening?
    I would imagine it's just a matter of getting the front register staffed. Casey's seems to have a really strict hiring process when it comes to their cashier's..........

Lifetime Achievement- In on page 1 of a THujone MS Paint thread.

Pro
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 717
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 23

If you think hiring takes forever, consider the hoops. Caseys had to jump through and run around and the time it took for approvals and permits just to be able to build there. This is Ames, you know.

Prospect
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 305
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I just heard this morning that target date is mid Feb..

Last edited by REDCYBIRD; 01-25-2011 at 09:36 AM.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,023
    Given: 206

Quote Originally Posted by Ms3r4ISU View Post
    If you think hiring takes forever, consider the hoops. Caseys had to jump through and run around and the time it took for approvals and permits just to be able to build there. This is Ames, you know.
    Everyone is quick to blame the City on this one; however, Caseys had every right from the beginning to build there, and if they would had just followed the City's zoning laws they could of started building there immediately.

However, Caseys wanted to do it their own way and not in conformance with the City's zoning laws, so they had to attempt to get a variance from the law. When that variance was denied, they then attempted to change the law, and were finally successful in doing that.

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 27

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    Everyone is quick to blame the City on this one; however, Caseys had every right from the beginning to build there, and if they would had just followed the City's zoning laws they could of started building there immediately.

However, Caseys wanted to do it their own way and not in conformance with the City's zoning laws, so they had to attempt to get a variance from the law. When that variance was denied, they then attempted to change the law, and were finally successful in doing that.
    Chuck, could you elaborate on that?

Addict
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 809
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 136
    Given: 59

While you are correct, that doesn't account for the fact that the zoning laws were stupid to begin with. The city wanted Caseys to build an actual graded roof over the gas pumps. Not the usual canopy, a ROOF. The city fought Caseys over the size of their sign, the width of their driveway and how many gas pumps are allowed. To me, these are stupid things to hold up development for...unless the sign is ungodly big like some truck stop by the interstate. This is already the most expensive Casey's ever built due to city stipulations. Imagine that, the most expensive Casey's isn't by Jordan Creek, it's in north freaking Ames. IMO Ames thinks that the Northridge/Somerset area is a lot nicer than it actually is.

For the new store, I too drive by it every day and am excited to see it open. They have the building enclosed. It looks to me like the only things they have yet to do are install the gas pumps, some outside trim work and then finish up the interior. Mid-February wouldn't surprise me at all.

Addict
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 381
    Given: 169

Maybe it's just me but then how was Fareway allowed to build a store there? Did they follow the "roof" guidelines that the city was putting Casey's thru?
    I might be missing something but I just don't get it.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by RayShimley View Post
    Chuck, could you elaborate on that?
    IIRC, the City's zoning laws had a maximum number of gas pumps that Casey's could have, and many facade and building codes, none of which Casey's was interested in adhering to. Right or wrong, the City had the area zoned for neighborhood commercial, which is intended to service the needs of residences in close proximity, and those laws were put into place when Somerset was developed, I believe.

Casey's saw the area as a draw for a larger area than just nearby neighborhoods, and rightly so knowing the Fareway just went up out there. They made a case to the City Council to get the laws changed, and were successful in doing that. None the less, the City had to make Casey follow the laws that were in place at the time.

I wont argue that the zoning laws were not what they should of been in the first place, but the City HAS to enforce the laws that are in front of them until those laws are changed. Changing those laws takes time, not because the City of Ames wants it to take time, but because State Code requires you to follow a certain process to change the laws.

Last edited by chuckd4735; 01-25-2011 at 10:22 AM.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    While you are correct, that doesn't account for the fact that the zoning laws were stupid to begin with. The city wanted Caseys to build an actual graded roof over the gas pumps. Not the usual canopy, a ROOF. The city fought Caseys over the size of their sign, the width of their driveway and how many gas pumps are allowed. To me, these are stupid things to hold up development for...unless the sign is ungodly big like some truck stop by the interstate. This is already the most expensive Casey's ever built due to city stipulations. Imagine that, the most expensive Casey's isn't by Jordan Creek, it's in north freaking Ames. IMO Ames thinks that the Northridge/Somerset area is a lot nicer than it actually is.

For the new store, I too drive by it every day and am excited to see it open. They have the building enclosed. It looks to me like the only things they have yet to do are install the gas pumps, some outside trim work and then finish up the interior. Mid-February wouldn't surprise me at all.
    I wont agree of disagree with this, but fortunately the City agreed with you and they changed the laws.

Quote Originally Posted by JP4CY View Post
    Maybe it's just me but then how was Fareway allowed to build a store there? Did they follow the "roof" guidelines that the city was putting Casey's thru?
    I might be missing something but I just don't get it.
    Im not sure what Fareway went through exactly out there, but I do believe they also had to have the City Council change the Zoning out there before building...