Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 40
  1. #1
    Starter
    Points: 34,431, Level: 57
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,019
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Boomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    827
    Points
    34,431
    Level
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 2

    OU AD on Conference TV Negotations

    He was on local KREF this after noon, talking about OU tv & conference tv negotiations

    Joe said that the conference negotiations have just started & should be resolved by spring meetings, said all things have run smoothly so far & he doesn't foresee any problems "at this point"


    www.landthieves.com Al Gore's favorite invention

  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 156,991, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Palmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Johnston, IA
    Posts
    7,915
    Points
    156,991
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 59
    Given: 6

    Re: OU AD on Conference TV Negotations

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    He was on local KREF this after noon, talking about OU tv & conference tv negotiations

    Joe said that the conference negotiations have just started & should be resolved by spring meetings, said all things have run smoothly so far & he doesn't foresee any problems "at this point"

    Oh wait...I thought the Big12 was going to disolve at any moment!


    Carrying the banner for ISU.


  3. #3
    Legend
    Points: 175,121, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 96.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    HFCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    12,421
    Points
    175,121
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,409
    Given: 1,062

    Re: OU AD on Conference TV Negotations

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    He was on local KREF this after noon, talking about OU tv & conference tv negotiations

    Joe said that the conference negotiations have just started & should be resolved by spring meetings, said all things have run smoothly so far & he doesn't foresee any problems "at this point"
    It'll be interesting to see how different this is when a team from a state with about the same population as Iowa is forming the network. OU is OU and there will surely be some demand somewhere, but it's not like there's a decent sized TV market they can force this thing on. Texans aren't going to stand for it being forced on them, who else is? I'm guessing other than Texas and maybe A&M, any of these other networks are going to be small potatoes unless they consolidate. Where is the big money in a TV network servicing Oklahoma's 3.5 million people, minus OSU fans? Where is the money in a KU network for a smaller population base than Iowa? Where is the money in an all Mizzou network when their population base cares more about pro sports?



  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 82,984, Level: 89
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 766
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ripvdub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sk-Ankeny
    Posts
    6,875
    Points
    82,984
    Level
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 217

    Re: OU AD on Conference TV Negotations

    What's running smoothly? The ou network or the big xii network negotiations?


    #BEATIOWA

  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 876,898, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    57,226
    Points
    876,898
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,642
    Given: 2,136

    Re: OU AD on Conference TV Negotations

    Doesn't the state of Texas, and especially the Dallas area, have a lot of OU grads?

    Maybe that's the major market for this.


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  6. #6
    Rookie
    Points: 13,967, Level: 35
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 83
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Hockenheim
    Posts
    425
    Points
    13,967
    Level
    35
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

    Re: OU AD on Conference TV Negotations

    Quote Originally Posted by ripvdub View Post
    What's running smoothly? The ou network or the big xii network negotiations?
    Big 12.



  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 465,896, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Al_4_State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Driftless Region
    Posts
    19,241
    Points
    465,896
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 471
    Given: 139

    Re: OU AD on Conference TV Negotations

    This is going to be on TV in Texas. There are a TON of OU grads who live in Texas, as well as just general transplanted Oklahomans who are 90% Sooner fans (OU is more popular in that state than Iowa is here).


    In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 406,135, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 70.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    60,551
    Points
    406,135
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 796
    Given: 528

    Re: OU AD on Conference TV Negotations

    Looks like potential $$$$ are getting bigger by the month. If we lock up a big broadcast contract, ND or someone else might jump. The days of NBC doing just ND games may be limited. Who knows for sure. ISU might find itself in a goldmine. They should stasy hitched to the train until the TV contract is finalized and then sit back a pop a tall cold one. My guess is it will be the biggest contract of all when it happens.


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  9. #9
    Starter
    Points: 10,136, Level: 30
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 414
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    CycloneJames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    769
    Points
    10,136
    Level
    30
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 39

    Re: OU AD on Conference TV Negotations

    Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    This is going to be on TV in Texas. There are a TON of OU grads who live in Texas, as well as just general transplanted Oklahomans who are 90% Sooner fans (OU is more popular in that state than Iowa is here).
    While I don't necessarily disagree with anything you stated, is there enough of the population who will force the cable providers to get this on tv? I'm assuming this would go similar to Big 10 network did here. I don't know much about how many OU fans are in Texas, but I would think it would take quite a few in order to force the cable providers down there to add it. I would think a fair portion of the population just plain doesn't care about sports, and doesn't want any new sports channels added. On top of that, you have the Texas/ATM (and TCU fans in Dallas-Ft. Worth) who probably won't want their cable bill to rise so they can watch OU softball.

    I suppose they could always just add it to a sports pack, but that won't make them as much money.



  10. #10
    All-Star
    Points: 24,376, Level: 47
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 174
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,502
    Points
    24,376
    Level
    47
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: OU AD on Conference TV Negotations

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Looks like potential $$$$ are getting bigger by the month. If we lock up a big broadcast contract, ND or someone else might jump. The days of NBC doing just ND games may be limited. Who knows for sure. ISU might find itself in a goldmine. They should stasy hitched to the train until the TV contract is finalized and then sit back a pop a tall cold one. My guess is it will be the biggest contract of all when it happens.
    No way any TV contract the Big 12 does will be bigger then what the SEC currently has, between CBS and ESPN they are making close to $3 billion over the next 15 years.



  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 271,457, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    isuno1fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clive, Iowa
    Posts
    17,520
    Points
    271,457
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 163
    Given: 36

    Re: OU AD on Conference TV Negotations

    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyescott View Post
    No way any TV contract the Big 12 does will be bigger then what the SEC currently has, between CBS and ESPN they are making close to $3 billion over the next 15 years.
    and in the NFL there is no way a rookie QB that has yet to take a snap should make more money than an All Pro QB, but yet it happens.

    B12 is going to be a goldmine. People will find out soon enough and certainly teams like ND and ARK are going to take notice.



  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 73,573, Level: 84
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,277
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    brokenloginagain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,043
    Points
    73,573
    Level
    84
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 102
    Given: 0

    Re: OU AD on Conference TV Negotations

    the sooner this tv deal gets signed the better. i also thing the dollars will be huge - not because the b12 is so great, but because each tv deal has been bigger than the next one. networks/cable etc are scrambling for content, and texas and the pips should bring in serious $$$$$$$.



  13. #13
    Speechless
    Points: 406,135, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 70.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    60,551
    Points
    406,135
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 796
    Given: 528

    Re: OU AD on Conference TV Negotations

    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyescott View Post
    No way any TV contract the Big 12 does will be bigger then what the SEC currently has, between CBS and ESPN they are making close to $3 billion over the next 15 years.
    You may be surprised then. Each bidding war gets bigger and there will be more people at the bidding party this time than for Big Ten and SEC and PAC.


    Last edited by Wesley; 01-25-2011 at 10:23 AM.
    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  14. #14
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 86,990, Level: 91
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 460
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Haverhill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lawrence, KS
    Posts
    4,349
    Points
    86,990
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 28

    Re: OU AD on Conference TV Negotations

    Quote Originally Posted by HFCS View Post
    It'll be interesting to see how different this is when a team from a state with about the same population as Iowa is forming the network. OU is OU and there will surely be some demand somewhere, but it's not like there's a decent sized TV market they can force this thing on. Texans aren't going to stand for it being forced on them, who else is? I'm guessing other than Texas and maybe A&M, any of these other networks are going to be small potatoes unless they consolidate. Where is the big money in a TV network servicing Oklahoma's 3.5 million people, minus OSU fans? Where is the money in a KU network for a smaller population base than Iowa? Where is the money in an all Mizzou network when their population base cares more about pro sports?
    Dallas/Fort Worth is more Aggie and Sooner than Longhorn. I'd say most Longhorns are in Central Texas.



  15. #15
    Legend
    Points: 205,542, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    jbhtexas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    Posts
    11,011
    Points
    205,542
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 314
    Given: 198

    Re: OU AD on Conference TV Negotations

    Quote Originally Posted by Haverhill View Post
    Dallas/Fort Worth is more Aggie and Sooner than Longhorn.
    Who told you that?


    "Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

    Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FS1
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. West Virginia
  • November 29, 2014
  • 11:00 AM