Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 98

Critical week for the Sisters

This is a week that can do wonders for the psyche of the ladies in red. They've battled hard against some of the best in the country, but unfortunately have come up just short. The positives of this team is something we saw emerging a few years back. This team plays smart, hustle defense that frustrates the opponent. They held the top two teams in the conference (who are rated #1 and #5) to more than a dozen points below their averages. This is something that they can hang their hat on and be proud of. There is nothing more difficult to do than play consistent, tough defense for an entire game. Our ladies do it day in and day out.

We all know the shortages the ladies are faced with this year. Its a lack of support for the Bolt that keeps biting us in the butt at crunch time. What I do trust is that we have a coaching staff that will get the most out of this team. They always improve as the season goes on. I have no doubt that will happen this year.

So this week...we face two teams that we should beat. I don't put any games into the gimme column in the Big 12. NU is short one of their star players (at least at latest report). Mizzou is playing under a new head coach who I have no doubt will turn the program around. But, its year one in reconstruction.

Let's look at NU first. We know they can battle us as they showed in the first half in Ames. As i look at the second half I think of it as more of an anomaly and of possibility. How would a game that is two halves of what we saw in the first going to be like? In Lincoln that is just what we could see. The big question for NU is whether Kelley will be back? That could be a game changer. The big question, as always, for ISU is who will help in the scoring column? Lincoln is always a tough place to play and I won't miss it. This one is a toss up in my book, but I give the edge to ISU on the road.

Mizzou. Tough year they are facing, but they made a great choice in hiring Pingeton as their head coach. Another of Bill's legacy. They've played some teams tough (beat Texas and barely lost to K-State) and gotten pounded by others (ATM). Its not a gimme by any way or means. They also upset #19 (then #12) Georgetown. So, they are dangerous. This one I'm giving to ISU at home for one reason: defense. Mizzou hasn't played anyone but ATM that has a tough defense. When they did they fell apart. I'm a bit more confident in this pick and think the ladies in red win comfortably at home (comfort this year means by at least 10 points).

What do you think?

All-Star
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 246
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 4

Re: Critical week for the Sisters

A usually informed Nebraska fan reports that Kelley will not be back - that information has proven accurate so far.

Nebraska is a decent team, but, our focus needs to be on ourselves. The Sisters played well Saturday - only a few teams would have won against that effort - too bad A&M is one of those teams. If the Sisters continue to play with the intensity of the last game, we will make it through and finish in the top four and we certainly win the next three.

“We’ve got a pretty good football conference, and we’ve got a pretty good conference overall. We’re still walking around with our heads held high and our chest out, about that.” Paul Rhoads

Pro
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,289
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 263
    Given: 208

Any news on whether Jess is back practicing or able to play?

Walk On
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 368
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by BoxsterCy View Post
    Any news on whether Jess is back practicing or able to play?
    On the radio Monday night, he said she had starting shooting for the first time that day, and she is not expected back this week. Didn't rule her out for Sat., but they are planning as if she won't play. He said that was the worst head bounce off the court he'd ever seen, fortunately for me my eyes were elsewhere...

Pro
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 736
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 98

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbears View Post
    On the radio Monday night, he said she had starting shooting for the first time that day, and she is not expected back this week. Didn't rule her out for Sat., but they are planning as if she won't play. He said that was the worst head bounce off the court he'd ever seen, fortunately for me my eyes were elsewhere...
    I would agree with Bill's assessment. They showed the replay on TV a few times (DVR) and it reminded me of when Joe Theisman broke his leg. It was truly a "violent" collision. Just imagine already falling to the floor and then having another player fall over you and their knee mashing your head into the hardwood. Nasty.

Pro
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,289
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 263
    Given: 208

Quote Originally Posted by acoustimac View Post
    I would agree with Bill's assessment. They showed the replay on TV a few times (DVR) and it reminded me of when Joe Theisman broke his leg. It was truly a "violent" collision. Just imagine already falling to the floor and then having another player fall over you and their knee mashing your head into the hardwood. Nasty.

When I saw it I didn't have to ask myself "Gee, I wonder if she has a concession from that?" Pop's head bounce off the floor earlier this year looked pretty bad also.