Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

This is why you can't trust bleacher Report

So I was looking at a slide show detailing one person's perspective of MLB playoff chances.

MLB Power Rankings: Rating Each Team’s Chances of Making the 2011 Postseason | Bleacher Report

I came across the Brewers and read through the write-up. I get that the Brewers are not a major market so maybe you don't spend as much time researching the team. I get that. But really...at least look to see if a team has made any major trades in the past two months before stating that they need to improve their pitching to make the playoffs.

Bleacher Report lets anyone who wants to write articles. They are just blogs. Good for entertainment but not so good if you are looking for facts or incite.

All-Star
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 544
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: This is why you can't trust bleacher Report

I'd say 13 is pretty accurate. If you look who is ahead of the Brewers, it would be hard to argue they should be any higher. Being a Cub fan, 13 sounds pretty good.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 227
    Given: 899

You are butt hurt by bleacher report? If anyone truly trusts bleacher report and doesnt take it with a grain of salt, then I feel bad for them.

Pro
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 127
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Quote Originally Posted by dtclones View Post
    I'd say 13 is pretty accurate. If you look who is ahead of the Brewers, it would be hard to argue they should be any higher. Being a Cub fan, 13 sounds pretty good.

I don't have a problem with 13 until we can show that even with good pitching we can win games. My problem is the lack of research for the writing. Even if she would've just looked at a depth chart. She would've seen that Greinke and Marcum will be the 1 and 3 pitchers.

All-Star
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 544
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by pyrocyz View Post
    I don't have a problem with 13 until we can show that even with good pitching we can win games. My problem is the lack of research for the writing. Even if she would've just looked at a depth chart. She would've seen that Greinke and Marcum will be the 1 and 3 pitchers.
    Oh crap, I completely forgot about Greinke. Yeah that's crappy research.

Pro
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,400
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 73

It says Nishioka is a pitcher fir the twins. He's an infielder.

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 7

I think 13 is about right, the NL Central is probably going to look something like this:

1. Reds
    2. Cardinals
    3. Brewers
    4. Cubs
    5. Astros
    6. Pirates

I can see the Brewers shopping Fielder around by the deadline too, sounds like he wants a monster contract and with is sub-par defense and weight issues I don't see the Brewers caving in to over-pay for him. He probably would be a better fit as a DH in the AL.

As a Cubs fan I hope Zambrano can get off to a hot start and get some teams interested in trading for him. In order for the Cubs to do anything to improve in the next few years they need to shed some payroll and Z would be the easiest way if he could become desirable to a contender. Fukudome's $14 mil comes off the books after this year too so there would be about $33 mil if they can find a way to get rid of both contracts and Pena's deal is only for 1 year at $10 mil so you could only hope Pujols hits free agency and you'd have the cash to steal him away but I know that is a pipe dream probably. Unfortunately Soriano is impossible to trade unless all the sudden he learns to play defense, hits around .300 and hits the long ball consistently and even then people are going to be hesistant to take on a 35 year old OF making $19 mil so the best you can hope for is at least he starts to hit better.

Go Cubs Go!

All-Star
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 92
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by pyrocyz View Post
    So I was looking at a slide show detailing one person's perspective of MLB playoff chances.

MLB Power Rankings: Rating Each Team’s Chances of Making the 2011 Postseason | Bleacher Report

I came across the Brewers and read through the write-up. I get that the Brewers are not a major market so maybe you don't spend as much time researching the team. I get that. But really...at least look to see if a team has made any major trades in the past two months before stating that they need to improve their pitching to make the playoffs.

Bleacher Report lets anyone who wants to write articles. They are just blogs. Good for entertainment but not so good if you are looking for facts or incite.
    As a Twins fan, I'd have to agree. While she lists the Twins at No. 3, she also says the Twins picked up pitcher Tyoshi Nishioka from Japan. So she not only spelled his name wrong (it's much more complicated than Tyoshi), she got his position wrong. He's a SS/2B, not a pitcher.

The Brewers have always puzzled me. They have this power lineup and their pitching, at least on paper, seems to be as good or better than the Twins, yet they always struggle. It seems at times like they are unbeatable and at other times, it seems like they couldn't beat the Royals. It was either last year or the year before that I asked my baseball friend, a Cardinals fan, "what's wrong with the Brewers?" because their team ERA was phenomenal when they played the Twins, yet they were struggling at around .500 at the time and clearly headed south of .500. They had a lot of guys in the bullpen with ERAs under 3 and their starting staff, while not spectacular, was solid, hovering around the 4 mark, iirc.

I see now after writing this that the Brewers' team ERA the past two seasons was near the bottom of the league. However, that wasn't the case when they played the Twins earlier in the year. They had a phenomenal team ERA in 2008, when they finished second in the national league at 3.85, but that's not the year I'm talking about because they also finished second in their division that year and made the playoffs.