Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 357
    Given: 0

2 biggest myths about the Bears

Everyone always talks about how the Bears have a better defense than the Packers, and that they run the ball better as well.

Well... both are myths. The Packers defense is better than the Bears in nearly every statistical category. And the running game? The Bears averaged 101 yds rushing per game this season, and the Packers averaged 100.4 yds per game. I would call that a statistical tie.

I'm not saying the Packers will win the game today, because in sports, and especially in football, you can never account for turnovers, penalties, etc. If GB turns the ball over, and Hester has a really good return game, the Bears will win this game. Anything can happen. The Bears just find ways to win games. As ugly as it looks sometimes, you cannot argue with the results. They are good.

But the Bears do not have the better defense, or running game for that matter. It's just something we all believe because the so-called "experts" tell us that every day.

Walk On
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28

Re: 2 biggest myths about the Bears

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    Everyone always talks about how the Bears have a better defense than the Packers, and that they run the ball better as well.

Well... both are myths. The Packers defense is better than the Bears in nearly every statistical category. And the running game? The Bears averaged 101 yds rushing per game this season, and the Packers averaged 100.4 yds per game. I would call that a statistical tie.

I'm not saying the Packers will win the game today, because in sports, and especially in football, you can never account for turnovers, penalties, etc. If GB turns the ball over, and Hester has a really good return game, the Bears will win this game. Anything can happen. The Bears just find ways to win games. As ugly as it looks sometimes, you cannot argue with the results. They are good.

But the Bears do not have the better defense, or running game for that matter. It's just something we all believe because the so-called "experts" tell us that every day.
    Who has made these claims? I haven't heard them.

Pro
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 127
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

I think that the bears have the right defense to defend against the packers. A bend but don't break defense. A lot of teams get beat deep by the packers. The bears have been able to keep recievers in front of them.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by pyrocyz View Post
    I think that the bears have the right defense to defend against the packers. A bend but don't break defense. A lot of teams get beat deep by the packers. The bears have been able to keep recievers in front of them.
    I agree. I think the Bears and the Packers both have good defenses. But the Bears have done a better defensive job against the Packers as anyone has. They seem to match up with the Packers well... or seem to know how to defend them at least.

I'm a huge Packers fan, but this game scares me to death. The Bears have played the Pack probably as good as anyone has this year. I'd probably rather be playing against any team in the NFL over the Bears. They just seem to have our number.

Starter
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 496
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 17

What about the myth of Jay Cutler not being a good qb? That is all I ever hear from the media, especially from the former elite QB's Trent Dilfer and Tim Hasslebeck.

Last edited by dabears32; 01-23-2011 at 11:32 AM.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Don't know who this "everybody" is you speak of. I'm hearing a lot of talk about how hot Aaron Rogers is right now and how the Packers defense is tearing up things... Plus, most of the "experts" I'm watching right now are picking the Pack--because of Rogers and their D. Nice try, though.

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,695
    Given: 158

Quote Originally Posted by pyrocyz View Post
    This. The Bears do a good job of slowing down Green Bay's particular style of offense. Green Bay averaged just over 24 points per game this year. In their two meetings with Chicago, they were held to 17 and 10 points. That doesn't mean that the Packers D is worse, or that the Packers aren't capable of going out and putting up a ton of points today, but the Bears D has shown that they have the ability to limit the effectiveness of the Packer O.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dabears32 View Post
    What about the myth of Jay Cutler not being a good qb? That is all I ever hear from the media, especially from the former elite QB's Trent Dilfer and Aaron Rodgers.
    Jay Cutler is not as bad as everyone says he is. The first half of the season he had no time to throw whatsoever. That isn't his fault. Lately he's been a very good QB IMO. Much better than he gets credit for.

His problem is that he's not a very likeable guy at all. But that has nothing to do with his playing ability.

He hasn't been playing as good as Aaron Rodgers, but nobody has. Cutler is playing very well right now. Good enough for them to win today and to win the Super Bowl.... IF he doesn't make the costly mistakes.

He's been getting a lot better at eliminating those mistakes lately though. Outside of the bad throw to end the last Packers-Bears game, I can't remember the last time he made a critical mistake in the last half of the season? He nearly made one on the goal line against the Seahawks, but the Seahawk defender dropped the easy INT on the goal line.

Starter
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 496
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 17

Jay Cutler is not as bad as everyone says he is. The first half of the season he had no time to throw whatsoever. That isn't his fault. Lately he's been a very good QB IMO. Much better than he gets credit for.

His problem is that he's not a very likeable guy at all. But that has nothing to do with his playing ability.

He hasn't been playing as good as Aaron Rodgers, but nobody has. Cutler is playing very well right now. Good enough for them to win today and to win the Super Bowl.... IF he doesn't make the costly mistakes.

He's been getting a lot better at eliminating those mistakes lately though. Outside of the bad throw to end the last Packers-Bears game, I can't remember the last time he made a critical mistake in the last half of the season? He nearly made one on the goal line against the Seahawks, but the Seahawk defender dropped the easy INT on the goal line.
    lol, you quoted me before I had a chance to edit it. I think he is a very good who with a good offensive line would be great.

The main thing he doesn't get credit for is his mobility, he is fast which could be a difference in the post season. I believe they will let him run more because the fear of injury will not be there.

oh well they are both very good qbs and hopefully it is a good game today.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 236
    Given: 174

From what I have heard in the media all year the Packers are an all around better team. The Bears have just been getting lucky all season. Oh and Cuttler isnt that good.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Speechless
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 3

Old saying "Statistics are for Losers"

Play the Game, all that matters = Final Score (that is why that keep it)

Prospect
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 240
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by dabears32 View Post
    What about the myth of Jay Cutler not being a good qb? That is all I ever hear from the media, especially from the former elite QB's Trent Dilfer and Tim Hasslebeck.
    lol funny those guys define "d-bag"

Speechless
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 294
    Given: 42

I didn't get my degree in math but I'd say 101 is more than 100.4.

Pro
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 29

Quote Originally Posted by coachdags View Post
    Old saying "Statistics are for Losers"

Play the Game, all that matters = Final Score (that is why that keep it)
    I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by im4cyclones View Post
    [Anything] is easy if you are content to suck at it.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    From what I have heard in the media all year the Packers are an all around better team. The Bears have just been getting lucky all season. Oh and Cuttler isnt that good.
    I agree that you can't be "lucky" and get to the NFC title game. Does it take some luck? Yes. For every team. But you have to be good too.

The Bears won some big games against some really good teams this year. That is not a fluke.

But conversely, I do believe the Packers are the more talented team, but agree that it doesn't always mean that you will win the game. And the Packers we've seen most of the year, and will see today, are not even close to the best team we could put on the field.

The Pack still misses Ryan Grant, Jermichael Finley, Nick Barnett, Brandon Chillar, Brad Jones, and Atari Bigby.... all starters at the beginning of the year. That is 3 out of the best 5 LB's on the team. Finley was the #1 receiver on the team and Rodgers' go to guy. Losing him hurt the most.

So take away Matt Forte, Urlacher, Greg Olson, and a couple more LB's away from the Bears and how would they be right now?

The Packers have done a tremendous job building this team through the draft over several years. It is the right way to build a championship caliber team IMO. If they hadn't, they'd be in horrible shape right now with all these injuries.