Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85
    Given: 108

Twister Sister Summary - Sisters drop game to #5 Thugsters

This game is a hard one to describe in the sense of where the Sisters stand in their growth this season. One of the nice surprises is that the ladies came ready to play from the opening whistle. Unfortunately, the ISU 19 game home winning streak would come to an end in a 60-51 loss that was closer than the final score which was expanded by late game free throws.

This was a game where you know the coaches had a great game plan put in place. The ladies exploited ATM early on with sharp cuts on the baseline and crisp passes that led to early scores. It seemed like this could be our day as we kept frustrating ATM with our zone defense and associated hustle and we slowly built a lead in the first half. Our do everything player, yes, Ms Bolte, was again everywhere. She picked up her early points close in and at the line. ISU just looked more crisp that ATM and we thought perhaps the cold had them running a step slow. Alas, the Aggies would creep back into the game and eventually take the lead behind their do everything beast - Adams. I remember watching her at the Big-12 conference tourney last year. She was a reserve when the tourney started and her performances led to being put on the all tourney team. She is big, physical and has silky moves and an even more silky shot.

One thing you can always be assured of when you play ATM is that the game is going to be physical. There are essentially five muggers on the court at one time and if you can't take it they will beat you up. That is what they've always done under Coach Blair and so far this year they've pretty much done it to everyone else winning by approximately 16 points a game while scoring at a 72 point clip. So what you can tell is that our defense obviously frustrated them AND our ladies played them closer than any team other than during their loss to Duke. So, let's just say that these type of games are dictated by how closely the officials will call the game. In the first half it was called somewhat well and that benefited the Cyclones although at the half we didn't have a single free throw to our name. The second half was a foul fest with only about 50% of the fouls ATM committed being called. But I digress…

The ladies battled in the first half with cuts and good ball movement. The defense was scrappy and made up for some unforced turnovers (we had 11 at the break). One of the unusual aspects to this game was that Pop really seemed out of sync. To give you an idea of how bad things were for her…she would score zero points on only 3 shots, grab only two rebounds and spend a lot of time on the bench. She was clearly frustrated as she was being beat up with no recourse. Two of the shots she took were wide open (for this game) bunny layups that never did more than jam off the rim.

Pop wouldn't get much help. We scored most of our points inside, in the paint and only two would come from our bigs. Zimm made a brief appearance and may as well have stayed on the bench. She was lost in the sea of physicality today. Big C played a lot of minutes and I think games like these are an eye-opener for the frosh. She fought and battled, but was clearly not physical enough to take on the beasts from the south. Sometimes it appeared as if she would get the ball, try to make a move to the basket and run into a brick wall. Of course if you took a look at Adams you'd know that is what did happen. The there is Prins. On the offensive end she was pretty nonexistent. She had one early bucket and then would throw up a couple of hurried way-off three pointers and be a non-factor until she hit a three late in the game to pull us closer. Here is what I will say about our bigs…they played defense today. Everyone on the court played defense today. I can't fault that effort at all. When you play zone you have to hustle your butt off to move to the ball. Yes, there were a few breakdowns but come on, there always will be. Overall, you hold ATM to 60 and you've accomplished something. I actually watched AP rip a rebound away from someone on her way to six boards. If she would maintain that scrappy attitude on defense…wow. The problem we have is the bigs contributed pretty much nothing to the offensive end, but neither would much of the rest of the team.

The second half was what we normally expect in the first. Offensive ugliness. Our ladies in red went nearly eight minutes without a basket to start the half. All we had during that time were two free throws by Bolte. Speaking of…this lady has ice in her veins at the line. There were several instances when she had two free throws and Coach F, would pull everyone back to set up on defense. What would Bolt do? Just hit 9-10 from the line. Outstanding! During this offensive display (I mean that as it was offensive) ATM also had its struggles against our defense, but slowly built the lead out to 9 and 10 points from the three point half time spread. The lead would get as big as 12 and each time we would find a little spark to whittle away at it. I can guarantee you who was doing the scoring during this time as Loz and Bolt accounted for 38 of our 51 points. Loz had several beautiful drives in the lane to score baskets. Bolt hit a couple of threes and her activity inside kept her at the line. The story of this half would inevitably end up being lack of movement and the extreme lack of offensive presence by anyone but Bolt and Loz. Too many times the shot clock would be winding down to nothing and Cole would have it in her hands or the ball would go inside only to be denied. Cole made a couple of nice shots tonight, but right now she is not who you want having to shoot the ball with 2 tics on the shot clock left. Note - ATM ended up with 12 blocked shots on the game. NO, they do not have Brit Griner on their team. NO, they aren't any bigger than we are. The difference? They have girls that are physical (yes I'm repeating that theme) and actually jump. Too many of the blocks came when our girl would get one inch of air under their shoes and ATM took advantage. TWELVE blocks!! Even more amazing we had six ourselves.

This game came down to a lack of firepower and I honestly have to admit - playing a better team. They are deeper, faster, and have more threats than we do. As Coach F. stated after the game, we know what we have on this team and we have to play with that. Just like the article I posted a link to the other day stated…someone besides Bolte has to step up and become an offensive threat. Bolte ended up with 25 points sharing game honors with Adams. She also led the team in rebounding with 12. How did everyone else do? Loz help some in the scoring with 13 important points, but had an uncharacteristic 8 turnovers. I'll def take her point production and aggressiveness to the hole. After that…Cole 2-6 and 4 points. AP 3-10 and 7 points. Big C 1-4 and 2 points. That's it folks. Period.

Hindsight is 20/20 and often wishful thinking, but I wonder how this team would be if Whit were still here. I'm not sure if she would have emerged more, but it would have been interesting. It seems that is all we are lacking is another credible scoring threat. Not to keep replaying the record, but we need our bigs to step up big time. If they are playing as AP did for three games then we have an in/out game that no one can stop. If they are non-existent then we have to hope Bolte and Loz are on and the defense is tight.

Interesting play of the day -The technical against Billy Fennelly. I couldn't see exactly what happened so if anyone had a better view than I or information I'd like to know what happened. He said something to the ref and got T'd up. What as more interesting is that Bill Sr. had to be restrained by his assistants to keep from going after the officials. This is as mad as I think I've ever seen coach.

So what is coming up? First, we can probably expect the lady Cyclones to drop in the rankings. Yes, we played the #5 team close at home, but pollsters are unforgiving. To be honest, I'm not sure whether we are truly a top-25 team yet. (please no hate mail!!) Nothing is a given with this squad. Especially on the road. Next up is our last visit to Cornhusker U. Last time we played we had an ugly first half and the most impressive second half of the year. What is going to happen there? They are definitely dangerous. NU is tied with ISU in an 8th place log jam at 1-3. After that we are hope against former ISU assistant coach Robin Pingeton's MU Tigers. They may be languishing towards the bottom of the conference, but have been in every conference game except against ATM. Again dangerous. And yes they are tied with us. Win these two games next week and things are looking different at 3-3 in the conference. We have a two game losing streak going and these winnable games are musts for ISU. If they turn into losses then the rest of the schedule gets even tougher as the following week includes both Oklahoma schools. Fun, fun, fun.

Fortunately, I have the ultimate faith in our coaching staff and will keep the faith that our bigs will somehow find their offensive game. If this engine could get firing on all cylinders, look out. NU saw it. Let's show it to some other teams.

All-Star
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 927
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 11

Re: Twister Sister Summary - Sisters drop game to #5 Thugsters

I certainly agree with the "thug" theme. I know we have to play through it but it certainly isn't graceful. I'd like to think that, if we had the shooting confidence of prior years, we could get the thugs frustrated and fouled out. We have to get AP mad (if it doesn't affect her shot) and push Hallie. I think they both can do it -- with more confidence.

Whether you think you can or think you can't;
    you are right. Henry Ford

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 555
    Given: 355

Looks like we are so deliberate in our offense that it played into their hands. We would get a small opening and not take a quick shot and then it would be plugged. Our team needs to be able to shoot quicker against a thug team like this.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

All-Star
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 423
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 0

Watching the AM girls complain to the refs constantly was really really annoying. They hack and foul all game and are can't believe when fouls are called. I've never seen a team whos players go over and complain to the refs like that.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 507
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22

Quote Originally Posted by Ames View Post
    I've never seen a team whos players go over and complain to the refs like that.
    You never saw Kansas under Marian Washington?

Starter
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 191
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 6

I am sorry for being a sexist pig. I like watching our team play and I like their style of play. I don't like watching a bunch of muscle-bound amazons bulldozing their way to the basket. Too bad there can't be some rule changes for WBB - like only four fouls allowed per player, or a trapazoidal 3 second zone (international rules). FWIW I never did like the six-player rules either. Just my 2 cents worth.

All-Star
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 423
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

Quote Originally Posted by mred View Post
    You never saw Kansas under Marian Washington?
    Yeah Baylor is also bad. It just annoys me when a team that is one of the most agressive and physical teams in the B12 also complains. They foul half a dozen times on every trip down the court, but can't handle 8 to 10 fouls per half.

Legend
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 205
    Given: 124

Quote Originally Posted by hoosman View Post
    I am sorry for being a sexist pig. I like watching our team play and I like their style of play. I don't like watching a bunch of muscle-bound amazons bulldozing their way to the basket.
    I don't like it either, but major-college WBB has been like this for a decade now. It's a physical game, and in order to win conference and national championships, you pretty much have to play that way.

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Speechless
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 156
    Given: 30

WOW...that may be the longest post I've ever seen on this site.

Pro
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 908
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 1

We have always struggled against the super physical teams that push us around on Offense. There is not much freedom in BFs system so once they push us out of what we want to do, we are not good.
    Once again there was 0 production from the 2 guard position. It is becoming more and more apparent that Hallie is simply not ready for the Big 12. She will be just fine in the years to come but not this year. I am also starting to doubt LM as a good PG for this team. I was at the game and rewatched it again tonight. The announcer and I both see that she is too small to be effective in our offense. She never throws the cross court skip pass in transition to the open 3 point shooter because she can'tsee them. Also, she constantly misses open posts when they flash.
    We are going to make it through the season just fine but I do not see us going very far. Hopefully we have some talent coming in next year because without Bolte, this team struggles go .500 next year.

All-Star
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 718
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

I am just changing my attitude and outlook on this team. We know what we got.. we have Bolte and on her we can depend. Loz has her games but if the gaurd is bigger then her, she struggles. The rest of the team are either role players or one game wonders. Our posts play defense like mad women but they couldn't hit a basket if their lives depended on it. They aren't physical enough to take the ball to the basket against anyone. BF said that he told the men to play the sisters tougher and tighter this past week. I am sorry they should have been doing that from the first practice on. We have to get tougher and for god sakes we have to start making those bunnies that we throw at the baskets.

BF keeps saying that this is not a top 25 team and I am finally realizing that he is right. Last year we had Aus and Bolte. This year we have Bolte and no matter how much talent and heart she has, she can't do it alone. All the others are one or two game wonders or so young that they are hitting the wall of the Big12. We are going to lose a lot of games in conference and I am hoping that we can squeeze into the Big Dance but if our bigs don't learn how to hit the bunnies then we will be doing good to be invited to to the NIT.

We are what we are and I have lowered my expectations of this team. I will still yell till I am hoarse like I did today and I will hope that Prins will jump more than two inches off the ground and Hallie will get her second win and start knocking down some threes like she did in the preseason. This is not BF's best team and as he says it will be a grind all year. So, I am embracing the grind and will hope for two wins in the coming week. Go Clones

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 507
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22

There's an awful lot of depressing talk here for a team that played competitive ball against two top-6 teams. Guess what? We don't have to see Baylor or A&M again until the conference tournament, if that. We only have one conference win? So do 7 of our remaining 12 conference opponents. The other 5 games include at home vs Colorado (we'll be out for blood) and two games against a KSU team who is probably on par with us. The schedule only gets easier from here.

Last edited by mred; 01-22-2011 at 11:09 PM.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mred View Post
    There's an awful lot of depressing talk here for a team that played competitive ball against two top-6 teams. Guess what? We don't have to see Baylor or A&M again until the conference tournament, if that. We only have one conference win? So do 7 of our remaining 12 conference opponents. The other 5 games include at home vs Colorado (we'll be out for blood) and two games against a KSU team who is probably on par with us. The schedule only gets easier from here.
    The schedule may get easier but if we don't improve on the offensive side of the game we will still struggle to grind out wins. I am really questioning who will step up on a game to game basis. Even with that being said... I will still be there bleeding cardinal and gold. Go Clones...

All-Star
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 242
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 133

How many of you listened/watched BF at the press conference after the game? With friends like some of you on here the girls do not need distracters from the outside, enough of yoou are throwing them under the bus. We are going to have some tough games because when you look at the line-up we start 1 senior,1 junior(who is really a freshman to our system) 2 sophmores & a freshman (last night a junior replaced one sophmore). I believe in what BF is doing and I know that on any given night you will have players who will play above their level and some will not play up to it. Last night Loz showed what she can do at point and for crazygreg unless you are on the floor with the ball you can not say someone missed an open player. It is far different on the floor than up in the stands.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by kcdc4isu View Post
    How many of you listened/watched BF at the press conference after the game? With friends like some of you on here the girls do not need distracters from the outside, enough of yoou are throwing them under the bus. We are going to have some tough games because when you look at the line-up we start 1 senior,1 junior(who is really a freshman to our system) 2 sophmores & a freshman (last night a junior replaced one sophmore). I believe in what BF is doing and I know that on any given night you will have players who will play above their level and some will not play up to it. Last night Loz showed what she can do at point and for crazygreg unless you are on the floor with the ball you can not say someone missed an open player. It is far different on the floor than up in the stands.
    "throwing them under the bus"... I doubt that. Lowering ones expectations of the team and pointing out some glaring weaknesses is not quite under the bus. This is a rebuilding year for the program. I think overall we are better as a team defensively then we were last year even with Denae and Aus. Offensively, we struggle and play like a bad junior high team from time to time. This year we have to embrace the grind and realize that the sweet 16 may not be in our future. It could even be a one and done year this time around. I firmly believe that the Big 12 will have 7 teams in the tournament again and we will be one of them. I did listen to the postgame interview and thought BF was on point with what he said. The glass is still half full for this team and I will be cheering for them as loud as I can. Now back the bus up and let's head to Lincoln!!!