Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 313
    Given: 482

Omaha car show

I usually go to the Chicago auto show every year but this year I decided to skip it and just go to Omaha. I just got back and here are my observations.

A few cars that really surprised me

2011 Hyundai Elantra-I had heard a lot about the new Sonata but the Elantra looked very nice for $20K fully loaded (leather, nice radio, etc) and 40mpg highway rating.

Buick Lacrosse-I could never see myself driving a Buick (except a Grand National) but the Lacrosse had the nicest interior of any car in it's price range.

2012 Ford Focus-Sharp looking on both the inside and out. Sync is cool.

2011 Cadillac Coupe-Sweet car all the way around. You'll either love/hate the body.

GMC Acadia-Very roomy for it's size.

Toyota-Nothing interesting

Honda -Nothing interesting. New CRZ is a complete failure

Lexus-Has an interesting hybrid hatch coming out in a few months that will be about $30K and get 42 mpg. Looks like a good alternative to the prius.

Jaguar-XF is sweet. XJ is ugly

Mazda-Nothing interesting

Nissan-Not there?WTF

Audi-Audi S5 and R8 may be the two best looking cars at the show. A visible V10 in the back of the R8. It doesn't get much better.

Chrysler-Very dated cars all the way around. Jeep Cherokee and the Dodge Challenger were the only interesting vehicles

VW-New designs are a complete failure. Ugly and cheaper interior. TDI is now the only reason to buy a VW.

Chevy-New Cruze looks pretty nice for a small car. Probably prefer the Focus. A lot of the large SUV's look very dated.

Ford-New Explorer is very nice but very expensive. Mustang GT with over 400hp for around $30K is the most bang/buck I've ever seen. Interior has improved as well.

Acura-They seemed to focus on there great surround sound audio systems. Maybe because the front ends of their cars are so ugly. If you can look past the front end, they are nice.

Subaru-Nothing really new. Sti is amazing but you can throw the wing on the back in the garbage.

Infiniti-M series is nice. Infinit QX56 is freaking awesome. 400 horsepower and loaded with about everything. Didn't see another SUV that was in the same league (including Range Rover, BMW, etc). 14mpg city and $70K sticker would keep me away.

A few other observations

$120K Corvette ZR1 is sweet. Loaded with carbon fiber and over 550 horsepower.

In car GPS is finally starting to go down in price. $700 seems to be more common now than $2,000. A lot of difference in quality. Anything you get now will probably be outdated in a couple of year anyway.

Why are the auto makers so obsessed with putting markings on the car that say cars are a Hybrid? GM is the worst at this. Big honking stickers that say "HYBRID" and then they are usually some obnoxious color. Just because you want good gas mileage it doesn't mean you have bad taste.

Pro
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 366
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 260
    Given: 505

Re: Omaha car show

I went to the show Saturday morning and really just ended up wandering around. The Cruz does seem like a pretty decent small car but it is too small for someone 6'2" I sat in it and just felt cramped. I loved the Camaro convertible. I have driven the Ford Focus a couple of times as a rental and liked it.

Could Chevy have picked an uglier Volt to put out on display? Every picture I have seen of it has looked pretty cool. Then I see it for real.

They say country music speaks to the heart. Unfortunately, it has to go through your ears to get there.

Addict
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 310
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 61

My wifes first car was a Hyundai Scoupe and it was cheap piece of !@#$. Swore we'd never get another one, but I really like Hyundai's line up right now and it sounds like quality wise they've really improved. I may take a close look at them next time around.

You didn't mention Kia? Did they have anything there? Who ever is their marketing wizard hit a home run with the ad agency they hired. They have the coolest commercials out there. I like their vehicle line up too. The Tiger grill was a great move for them.

Doesnt' sound like you were too impressed with the Japanese line up in general. Blah styling, but they mostly run forever without a lot of repairs?

Conversely sounds like Ford & GM are finally putting out some attractive products. Still wonder a bit about stuff breaking down 60,000 miles into those cars.

Hear you on the big stickers for Hybrid. What can you say. It's what's hot now. I see some of those late 80's cars with ABS or Fuel Injected emblems and laugh now.

The Germans just can't get it done here that well can the? Their cost of production is so high about all they can make money on is over priced luxury cars. I honestly can't build a case for ever really buying one. The Japanese and Americans pretty much have all the bases covered with vehicles that are pretty much as good at signifigantly less prices.

Any Chinese cars at the show?

Last edited by Bobber; 01-23-2011 at 09:33 AM.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    My wifes first car was a Hyundai Scoupe and it was cheap piece of !@#$. Swore we'd never get another one, but I really like Hundai's line up right now and it sounds like quality wise they've really improved. I may take a close look at them next time around.

You didn't mention Kia? Did they have anything there? Who ever is their marketing wizard hit a home run with the ad agency they hired. They have the coolest commercials out there. I like their vehicle line up too. The Tiger grill was a great move for them.

Doesnt' sound like you were too impressed with the Japanese line up in general. Blah styling, but they mostly run forever without a lot of repairs?

Conversely sounds like Ford & GM are finally putting out some attractive products. Still wonder a bit about stuff breaking down 60,000 miles into those cars.

Hear you on the big stickers for Hybrid. What can you say. It's what's hot now. I see some of those late 80's cars with ABS or Fuel Injected emblems and laugh now.

The Germans just can't get it done here that well can the? Their cost of production is so high about all they can make money on is over priced luxury cars. I honestly can't build a case for ever really buying one. The Japanese and Americans pretty much have all the bases covered with vehicles that are pretty much as good at signifigantly less prices.

Any Chinese cars at the show?
    5 of my last 6 cars have been Japanese so I'm probably a little rougher on them and expect more. I still think if you want reliability it's hard to argue against a Honda.

None of the Kia's impressed me and they still have a lot of work to go before they are known as a quality brand, even though they are owned by Hyundai.

You can really tell that Ford and GM have come a long way on their re-designs. There models that haven't been redone in a few years look very dated. The interior of the Impala(as wells as others) is on the verge of embarrassing for a new car.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    5 of my last 6 cars have been Japanese so I'm probably a little rougher on them and expect more. I still think if you want reliability it's hard to argue against a Honda.

None of the Kia's impressed me and they still have a lot of work to go before they are known as a quality brand, even though they are owned by Hyundai.

You can really tell that Ford and GM have come a long way on their re-designs. There models that haven't been redone in a few years look very dated. The interior of the Impala(as wells as others) is on the verge of embarrassing for a new car.
    We have a 2007 Honda van and have had zero problems with it. Yeah there have been a few recalls mostly dealing with their brakes, but they've made the repairs with no expense to us at all. My only gripe is fair amount of road noise, but that's it. It's been a super reliable vehicle and no squeeks or weird sound that some of my other vehicles have gotten as they've aged.

My brother in law got a Chrysler minivan a few years before us and he had all kinds of stuff he had to do. I think he had to put new struts in at a cost of $1,500 and the van had less than 30,000 miles on it.

My other vehicle is a 2008 Ford Taurus and that's been a good car too. I've got 82,000 miles on it and a pair of front brake pads is about all I've had to repair.

Walk On
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 565
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Volkswagon is finally getting with the picture and opening an American factory so that they can avoid import costs. It should also let them adjust to changing market conditions faster than the 9 month lag in production now. I don't think their other brands will be built here though (Audi, Lamborghini).

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CompCy View Post
    Volkswagon is finally getting with the picture and opening an American factory so that they can avoid import costs. It should also let them adjust to changing market conditions faster than the 9 month lag in production now. I don't think their other brands will be built here though (Audi, Lamborghini).
    That may not do any good if they can't improve their reliablity ratings. Throw in the fact it costs an arm and a leg to repair anything on those vehicles and it's not a real good business model.

Mercedes has had a plant here for years and hasn't seemed to help that much.

I really want the Germans to do well here(that's my ancestry), but I think they have some real issues that aren't going away any time soon.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Too bad that the new Jetta is made in Mexico. I had an 08 GTI and loved it though.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 165
    Given: 0

My wifes first car was a Hyundai Scoupe and it was cheap piece of !@#$. Swore we'd never get another one, but I really like Hyundai's line up right now and it sounds like quality wise they've really improved. I may take a close look at them next time around.
    The Elantras have REALLY high quality ratings as well... good to hear the 2011 models are looking good. I only buy used and I probably won't need another car for about 5 years... so I can sort of start planning right now on these models.