Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Fred Thompson for President

Hello fellow Cyclone brothers and sisters.

I'm one of tens of thousands of Americans encouraging former Sen. Fred Thompson to run for President. I'd like you to join with me and Fred and all our friends in changing the political landscape in 2008. Senator Thompson recently announced that he was taking some preliminary steps toward entering the Presidential race, and to show my support I signed on as a "Friend of Fred Thompson." I'm writing to ask you to consider doing the same.

Senator Thompson has been a prosecutor, a Senator, and yes, he's had a couple of movie roles. More importantly, he's exactly what we need right now - a consistent conservative who can unite our nation and help lead us in fixing our problems, not exploiting them for political purposes.

He's plain-spoken and means what he says. On the immigration bill, for example, Fred calls it like he sees it:

"No matter how much lipstick Washington tries to slap onto this legislative pig, it's not going to win any beauty contests. We should scrap this "comprehensive" immigration bill until the government can show the American people that we have secured the borders -- or at least made great headway."

On folks in Washington who want to raise our taxes:

"They only want to target the rich. They're off target again, just like they were with the alternative minimum tax. Remember, that was supposed to just target the rich. A word of advice to anyone in the middle class - don't stand anywhere near that target."

On leadership:

"We're going to have to be more focused, we're going to have to be smarter and we're going to have to be more determined and we're going to have to be more together as a nation than we've ever been before."

Fred has said he wants to do things differently. He wants to focus on returning to our founding principles of self-governance, free markets and the rule of law. Those are ideas we're all invested in - focused on building a stronger, more competitive and innovative America that remains a beacon for the world today and for the next generation.

I've done my part to encourage Fred to run, and I want you to join me.

Visit https://www.imwithfred.com/contribut...e-f5268b368358

If we can get enough people to sign on with us and support us, we can change America together.

Thanks for your interest. I hope you'll join me and become a Friend of Fred.

Sincerely,

Brian Johnson

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 90

Re: Fred Thompson for President

Fred would have done himself well to at least show some interest in participating in the Straw Poll. Is he going to skip the Caucus as well?

Starter Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by 1TRUFAN View Post
    Hello fellow Cyclone brothers and sisters.

I'm one of tens of thousands of Americans encouraging former Sen. Fred Thompson to run for President. I'd like you to join with me and Fred and all our friends in changing the political landscape in 2008. Senator Thompson recently announced that he was taking some preliminary steps toward entering the Presidential race, and to show my support I signed on as a "Friend of Fred Thompson." I'm writing to ask you to consider doing the same.

Senator Thompson has been a prosecutor, a Senator, and yes, he's had a couple of movie roles. More importantly, he's exactly what we need right now - a consistent conservative who can unite our nation and help lead us in fixing our problems, not exploiting them for political purposes.

He's plain-spoken and means what he says. On the immigration bill, for example, Fred calls it like he sees it:

"No matter how much lipstick Washington tries to slap onto this legislative pig, it's not going to win any beauty contests. We should scrap this "comprehensive" immigration bill until the government can show the American people that we have secured the borders -- or at least made great headway."

On folks in Washington who want to raise our taxes:

"They only want to target the rich. They're off target again, just like they were with the alternative minimum tax. Remember, that was supposed to just target the rich. A word of advice to anyone in the middle class - don't stand anywhere near that target."

On leadership:

"We're going to have to be more focused, we're going to have to be smarter and we're going to have to be more determined and we're going to have to be more together as a nation than we've ever been before."

Fred has said he wants to do things differently. He wants to focus on returning to our founding principles of self-governance, free markets and the rule of law. Those are ideas we're all invested in - focused on building a stronger, more competitive and innovative America that remains a beacon for the world today and for the next generation.

I've done my part to encourage Fred to run, and I want you to join me.

Visit https://www.imwithfred.com/contribut...e-f5268b368358

If we can get enough people to sign on with us and support us, we can change America together.

Thanks for your interest. I hope you'll join me and become a Friend of Fred.

Sincerely,

Brian Johnson
    Tell us about some of the great work Fred has done in the Senate. Pretty inspiring record, would you say?

'tiny little text etched into her neck it said "jesus lived and died for all your sins." she's got blue black ink and it's scratched into her lower back. it said: "damn right i'll rise again." yeah, damn right you'll rise again.'

All-Star
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I am a fellow friend of Fred. Can't knock Fred for straw poll when he hasn't declared yet. My favorite recent quote from Fred Thompson was regarding the talk of increasing the gasoline tax to pay for needed infrastructure improvements in light of the bridge collapse....

"Only in government is it even possible to think that you could be rewarded with a bigger budget for totally messing things up in the first place"

the rest of his post... and link to website with his positions etc.

"
    Whoa now. Let’s hold our horses a minute and think about the calls for new tax increases to fix our infrastructure problems. The Minneapolis bridge collapse is a tragedy, but we can’t let it be used to compound other problems – which is what will happen if we’re scared into raising gas taxes.
    As we all know, there are few things more permanent than a temporary tax. Just ask the folks who footed the cost of the Spanish-American War for the past 108 years via a federal excise tax on our phone bills. Congress is contemplating a new “temporary” 5-cent increase in the federal gas tax –(already at 18.3 cents a gallon), which is on top of the state and local gas taxes that have been in place over the years – to finance a “trust fund” for infrastructure repairs.
    The cause of our infrastructure troubles is not a lack of money; but the politics and bureaucracy that have built up around the funding process. Now, the people who have done their best to micromanage local infrastructure spending from their Washington D.C. offices are exploiting tragedy to further federalize our transportation system. Why don’t we let states determine which infrastructure problems are their priority? Are bridge repairs a priority in Arizona? Alaska? Hawaii? Maybe, but let’s let the people decide what needs fixing, when, and how they want to pay for it—taxes, bonds, or tolls, for example.

Real improvements in infrastructure, to promote safety and reduce congestion and traffic delays, are possible. But it can only be done by giving the control of construction and funding decisions to those who use the roads and bridges, not through higher taxes and more federal mandates.
    Only in government is it even possible to think that you could be rewarded with a bigger budget for totally messing things up in the first place. Why can’t we leave infrastructure issues to the people closest to where the rubber literally hits the road?"

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" - Winston Churchill

Starter
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 191
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 6

Let's put another actor in the white house. Their lies are much more believable that way. As for expanding the deficit, the easy way out is to buy today, pay tomorrow.

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 359
    Given: 150

Quote Originally Posted by hoosman View Post
    Let's put another actor in the white house. Their lies are much more believable that way. As for expanding the deficit, the easy way out is to buy today, pay tomorrow.
    I'd say it worked out pretty well last time we did that (Reagan).

Fred has some refreshing views IMO. He is not the polished machine that is Mitt Romney but more of a down-to-earth American.

I think its time we let someone other than a career politician get elected.

Last edited by cycloneworld; 08-14-2007 at 07:34 AM.

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

[quote=JCloned;164781]I am a fellow friend of Fred. Can't knock Fred for straw poll when he hasn't declared yet. quote]

You don't hire campaign staff, line up meetings with state legislators and tour the state fair for a family vacation with your trophy wife (I'm not hating on the man-he's just living the dream.)

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 548
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

No thank you. He hasn't even shown up as a congressman.

"I felt like Buckner walking back into Shea" -- Mike from Rounders

Speechless
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,287
    Given: 631

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post

Fred has some refreshing views IMO. He is not the polished machine that is Mitt Romney but more of a down-to-earth American.

Damn right it did. The only question I would ask of Mr. Thompson is how he would address the immigration issue after the border is secure. The quote from him was a little vague in that regard for my tastes. "until the government can show the American people that we have secured the borders -- or at least made great headway."

I'm not sure I like the "until" part.

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 359
    Given: 150

There is a great article from the Sacramento Bee about Fred today. (I've linked the article from Fred's website)

I'm With Fred - Friends of Fred Thompson

I love the part about shaking things up...not being a "traditional" candidate pandering only to the bases.

All-Star
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 311
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post

I'm not an expert, but I think Reagan is regarded as a pretty mediocre president by historians.

Not sure how a former senator is less of a career politician than a one term governor.

Legend
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by ericlambi View Post
    I'm not an expert, but I think Reagan is regarded as a pretty mediocre president by historians.

Not sure how a former senator is less of a career politician than a one term governor.
    Enough years haven't elapsed to get a good historical reading on Reagan. Nevertheless, the current consensus is that he was one of the more favorably rated presidents.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by ericlambi View Post

Reagan's about to have his record for vacation days by a sitting president broken by Dubya...take that for what it's worth.

Forever trying to find a cure for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 263
    Given: 36

Quote Originally Posted by alaskaguy View Post
    Enough years haven't elapsed to get a good historical reading on Reagan. Nevertheless, the current consensus is that he was one of the more favorably rated presidents.
    His rating was favorable because he was the best pres we have had since Jefferson.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

All-Star
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 311
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    His rating was favorable because he was the best pres we have had since Jefferson.
    I don't think many would agree with this, but I was clearly wrong. According to wikipedia, Ronald Reagan averages the 13.88th best president among a composite of rankings they put together. 13.88 was the 15th highest number. There have been 42 presidents including GW.