Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 7

Ubuntu Question

A 70 year old friend handed me her virus filled HP computer that ran with XP. She did not have the money to have it professionally repaired. I could not make XP and IE work properly.

So, I installed Ubuntu and she loves Ubuntu and having a working computer again. My question is, does she need an antivirus or any other type of security software with Ubuntu?

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 269
    Given: 53

Re: Ubuntu Question

Not really. I have never had one.

Pro
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by iowa_wildcat View Post
    A 70 year old friend handed me her virus filled HP computer that ran with XP. She did not have the money to have it professionally repaired. I could not make XP and IE work properly.

So, I installed Ubuntu and she loves Ubuntu and having a working computer again. My question is, does she need an antivirus or any other type of security software with Ubuntu?
    You probably won't need one, although if it becomes a concern there are some free antivirus programs available (some even with graphical interfaces).

I'd say the most-important security thing for you to do with the computer is make sure that all unnecessary network functions are disabled (e.g., it's not acting as an http server) and the firewall is enabled to disallow inbound network functions.

Quote Originally Posted by im4cyclones View Post
    [Anything] is easy if you are content to suck at it.

Prospect
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by iowa_wildcat View Post

I've been running Ubuntu for about the past 5 years and have never used antivirus and never contracted a virus. I am amazed that more people don't give up on Windoze and all of its problems and make the switch to Linux.

Starter
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 148
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 11

Just want to reiterate what everyone else is saying. I've run a Linux desktop for over 3 years, never had an antivirus program, and never had any problems.

Starter
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 597
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by MOClone View Post
    I've been running Ubuntu for about the past 5 years and have never used antivirus and never contracted a virus. I am amazed that more people don't give up on Windoze and all of its problems and make the switch to Linux.
    Don't forget, a big part of the vulnerability of Windows is that it has dominating market presence. It just isn't worth the while of virus writers to write them for Linux. There are some inherent superiorities in Linux (e.g. root and super users) but Windows 7 has actually made some strides in this area by gimping the administrator account and requiring a password even for the administrator account in certain situations. If there ever were a virus outbreak for Linux, people might be even more vulnerable, because almost no one uses virus protection.

(Proudly running Ubuntu since 7.10)

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyFever View Post
    Don't forget, a big part of the vulnerability of Windows is that it has dominating market presence. It just isn't worth the while of virus writers to write them for Linux. There are some inherent superiorities in Linux (e.g. root and super users) but Windows 7 has actually made some strides in this area by gimping the administrator account and requiring a password even for the administrator account in certain situations. If there ever were a virus outbreak for Linux, people might be even more vulnerable, because almost no one uses virus protection.

(Proudly running Ubuntu since 7.10)

This is spot-on. The minimal market share provides more protection than the built-in superiorities. There's no shame in using that minimal market share to your advantage, but taking some basic antivirus measures can't hurt and quite likely the prudent thing to do.

Legend
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 381
    Given: 257

I like ubuntu as well, but the average user wont switch because honestly linux is not as easy for the average user to figure out. The variety of apps is not there as well.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bos View Post
    I like ubuntu as well, but the average user wont switch because honestly linux is not as easy for the average user to figure out. The variety of apps is not there as well.
    What do you mean by "average user"? I can easily see gamers not using linux due to the lack of popular games, but I think that there is a large potential user-base that would be able to use linux just fine (although there wouldn't be enough of an advantage to make them switch).

Legend
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 67

I like Ubuntu as well (dual boot it on my main PC at home and use it as a test environment at work), but one of the shortcomings for me is support of multimedia devices.

I have yet to find a media player that doesn't have issues with my TV card, which is supposed to be supported by the kernel. PulseAudio also causes nightmares for many users. I ended up changing out my sound card, which was also supposed to supported.

I think there is still too much command line tweaking required for Ubuntu to become a mainstream operating system for average users, but it continues to get better.

Last edited by jbhtexas; 01-22-2011 at 09:12 PM.

Legend
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 381
    Given: 257

Quote Originally Posted by iahawkhunter View Post
    What do you mean by "average user"? I can easily see gamers not using linux due to the lack of popular games, but I think that there is a large potential user-base that would be able to use linux just fine (although there wouldn't be enough of an advantage to make them switch).
    This is why non computer savvy users will struggle with linux distros. Its just not the inuitive yet.

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    I like Ubuntu as well (dual boot it on my main PC at home and use it as a test environment at work), but one of the shortcomings for me is support of multimedia devices.

I have yet to find a media player that doesn't have issues with my TV card, which is supposed to be supported by the kernel. PulseAudio also causes nightmares for many users. I ended up changing out my sound card, which was also supposed to supported.

I think there is still too much command line tweaking requred for Ubuntu to become a mainstream operating system for average users, but it continues to get better.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Honest question for all you Ubuntu users: what made you choose it? I've been running openSuSE since the 9.x versions (the lab I worked in used it, and I've stuck with it due to familiarity) and I'm always intrigued as to how others choose their linux flavors.

All-Star
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 160
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 7

I can tell you why I chose Ubuntu for my friend. She is not the most computer saavy person on earth or she would not have been using expired Norton for the last two years. She uses her computer for email and as an information source using Google search. I had an Ubuntu 9.10 disk on my desk that I had been using just to try Ubuntu. It seemed like a perfect match for her. She finds the operating system very easy to use and is perfectly happy with it. She is definitely not a gamer unless you consider a hot round of solitaire as being a gamer!

All-Star
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 605
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

All the I've ran Linux for X years without AV and been fine doesn't mean much. I've ran Windows without AV for at least 5 years. Wow.

If she is just doing web and email about any OS is fine. The first time she tries to install Turbo Tax or whatever software you are getting a call.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Ames View Post
    All the I've ran Linux for X years without AV and been fine doesn't mean much. I've ran Windows without AV for at least 5 years. Wow.

If she is just doing web and email about any OS is fine. The first time she tries to install Turbo Tax or whatever software you are getting a call.
    If she can handle it (i.e., wouldn't be too confused), VirtualBox (VirtualBox) does a very nice job of managing a virtual machine (and it's free). This would allow her a copy of Windows to do those necessary evils like taxes without having to return to the Dark Side forever. I've used VirtualBox with WinXP, Win7 32bit, and Win7 64bit, and I've never had any significant troubles (a few hiccups here and there, but I did my taxes with TurboTax last year thanks to VB and didn't have any problems).