Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 1

Snatching Defeat From The Jaws Of Victory

My Hawkeye brother-in-law called with about 3 left in the game, saying he was impressed with how ISU has played. I told him I've seen this movie before. Road game. Things always happen. It has been like this since I can remember. Until we have the lead and that clock is a ZERO, I am not convinced it is over. Well, it happened.

This team is good, but they are too gassed at the end of games to just curb-stomp their opponent. When we entered half tied, I thought we had a great opportunity. This team jumps out of the gate when the 2nd half starts, and I was hoping we could build a 14-16 point cushion. 10 just didn't get it done.

I have no doubt that this team will pull off 2 big upsets in conference play.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 471
    Given: 251

Re: Snatching Defeat From The Jaws Of Victory

I agree that they'll pull off some upsets. The game went through a weird stagnant period where our lead was around 5, and neither team could improve upon their position. I think that was a key, as we had plenty of chances to take it up into double figures again and get some cushion. The other key would be rebounding. I don't think we had the muscle or energy to keep them off the boards in the 2nd half.

Addict
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 1,043
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 10

Yes, as ISU fans we've probably seen more cases of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory than just about any other team in the country.

This team however, will find 5-6 more wins this year, which is much better then I expected, and about what the talent warrants.

Fred will get his players to close out games like this and Nebby in the near future. In fact, if we just had White this year, we'd probably have no more than 1 loss right now. Overall, based on the limitations of this team we're exceeding my expectations.

We really are a 1-trick pony. Either we beat teams with 3's or we lose. So far, I've been impressed with how well Fred finds ways to get open 3 looks, even though everyone knows it's coming.

All-Star
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 401
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 7

Quote Originally Posted by acgclone View Post
    Yes, as ISU fans we've probably seen more cases of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory than just about any other team in the country.

This team however, will find 5-6 more wins this year, which is much better then I expected, and about what the talent warrants.

Fred will get his players to close out games like this and Nebby in the near future. In fact, if we just had White this year, we'd probably have no more than 1 loss right now. Overall, based on the limitations of this team we're exceeding my expectations.

We really are a 1-trick pony. Either we beat teams with 3's or we lose. So far, I've been impressed with how well Fred finds ways to get open 3 looks, even though everyone knows it's coming.
    I agree with most of this. But we are more than a 1 trick, pony. It may only be a 1 1/2 trick pony, but we have more than adeqate dribble drive in most conferences, rebounding and at least a little useful post play that is somewhat workable. Just keep in mind that we are playing in a conference that is pretty much 2nd in the country or tied for second. Its a tough gig. I'm not disappointed with the development of the driving and the post play. Its just hard to catch up with some of the best in the country. OSU was a solid team. Not great, but good.

twice we were just a little out of control and it cost us the game. Control will come with experience. They ARE over acheiving and its a short step to trying too hard. And anderson and to a lesser extent the DG turn over we're exactly that. That will pay off more than it will hurt us. Just need to harness it.

Last edited by mikeiastat; 01-20-2011 at 12:07 PM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,030
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 23

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneYoda View Post
    My Hawkeye brother-in-law called with about 3 left in the game, saying he was impressed with how ISU has played. I told him I've seen this movie before. Road game. Things always happen. It has been like this since I can remember. Until we have the lead and that clock is a ZERO, I am not convinced it is over. Well, it happened.

This team is good, but they are too gassed at the end of games to just curb-stomp their opponent. When we entered half tied, I thought we had a great opportunity. This team jumps out of the gate when the 2nd half starts, and I was hoping we could build a 14-16 point cushion. 10 just didn't get it done.

I have no doubt that this team will pull off 2 big upsets in conference play.
    I feel the same way