Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 172
    Given: 14

You may not like this

but I think that this team has over achieved this year. And therefore, we expect something to close to perfection a lot of the time. I mean, for god's sake, I was excitedly thinking about NCAA tournaments this afternoon. I mean that's crazy ****.

We had a chance to win and should have won. But that doesn't mean that the game plan wasn't solid or that our guys didn't do a mostly good job executing it.

We've gone 16 straight times into Stillwater and lost.

We can be disppointed in not winning, but let's not start talking about how this is some sign of something greater. It's a loss on the road. Happens all the time in the conference.

One hting that this team doesn't have a lot of expirence in is winning close games. They haven't been able for the past several years. I hope they are learning. I hope Fred is learning about coaching.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,226
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 6

Re: You may not like this

A larger bench will help with end of game execution. The first things fatigue hits are legs and decision making.

***King of Diplomacy***

All-Star
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 322
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Its been on my mind for a few days now and this just put it over the edge. im tired of everyone making excuses we play a tough schedule im tired of it and this goes for football too. we play in the big 12 deal with it. your either going to be the hammer or the nail.

im sorry but its true. they lost one game tonight. they are still a very good team and still have a chance to play in the tournament.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I really believe this is a solid team.

"Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

Chile Mac is Back!
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 348
    Given: 743

I think the point is valid and I am proud of our team, but I think tonight is for frustration, tomorrow reflection . I really hope Garrett gets to taste some sort of postseason.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,226
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by Cytom5 View Post
    Its been on my mind for a few days now and this just put it over the edge. im tired of everyone making excuses we play a tough schedule im tired of it and this goes for football too. we play in the big 12 deal with it. your either going to be the hammer or the nail.

im sorry but its true. they lost one game tonight. they are still a very good team and still have a chance to play in the tournament.
    I'm confused as to what you are talking about.

***King of Diplomacy***

Addict
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 135
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 7

This team plays its heart out every night but I think most realistic people know the best we can hope for right now is a NIT berth. This is NOT a NCAA team, heck coming into this season I had my doubts if .500 would be realistic. Just sit back and enjoy the ride because the foundation is being laid for a very good season next year. This team doesn't have the talent next year's will and if next year's team plays this hard we are in for a treat!

Go Cubs Go!

Starter
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 566
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 21

So your expectations was winning the Big 12 in hoops this year.?

Clear your mind and re-think..

If the 70's was dark ages of ISU hoops, the last 5-6 years is the equivalent of the great depression.

Realistically on games ISU had legitimate chance to win down the wire, they are 2-3. Beating Iowa and Creighton, losing to Nebby and OSU on the road, and Cal at home. Not too bad.

All-Star
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 322
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by fsanford View Post
    So your expectations was winning the Big 12 in hoops this year.?

Clear your mind and re-think..

If the 70's was dark ages of ISU hoops, the last 5-6 years is the equivalent of the great depression.

Realistically on games ISU had legitimate chance to win down the wire, they are 2-3. Beating Iowa and Creighton, losing to Nebby and OSU on the road, and Cal at home. Not too bad.
    nope not at all Im just tired of everyone making excuses including myself. Im tired of hearing we play a tough schedule. it was more directed to football than anything.

they are playing heads and tails above my expectations

All-Star
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 25

Quote Originally Posted by CYdTracked View Post
    This team plays its heart out every night but I think most realistic people know the best we can hope for right now is a NIT berth. This is NOT a NCAA team, heck coming into this season I had my doubts if .500 would be realistic. Just sit back and enjoy the ride because the foundation is being laid for a very good season next year. This team doesn't have the talent next year's will and if next year's team plays this hard we are in for a treat!
    +1 Well put.

Thumbs Up

I really don't know what more people wanted with a new head coach with 0 coaching experience and only going 7 deep most games. It really is a decent year whether or not they finish above .500 in the conference and they still have a good chance going to the NIT. Nobody could have predicted Hoiberg to do this good of a job. Before tonight they lost by 15 points combined in all 4 games. Got to be honest but really any way they end the season Hoiberg has had a good first season and I know there is still a lot of basketball to play this season but he really made a mark on this program. He's got people excited for cyclone basketball again.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,402
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 172
    Given: 14

No one's saying we have a tough schedule. No one is running away from it.

What I am saying is that maybe, based on some great play in a lot of our games and based on a fullout effort and a lot of heart in all of our games, we maybe forget that this team is very limited.

Holy crap......we are whining about losing at a place we haven't won at in 16 times over 23 years. Much better teams than this one have lost in that place. Fred Hoiberg never won there, Willoughby never won there. Tinsley didn't win there.

Addict
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 195
    Given: 54

The team is young. The bench is thin. First year in a new system. First year head coach. The best shooter has an injury to his shooting elbow. The starting PG was basically playing sick. JVB has a slightly jacked ankle. A total of four returning players from last season.

These aren't excuses, rather a reminder of what these guys face every game. Don't kid yourseves. These guys are overacheiving. You want to deny that? Look to the east and you'll find a program that was in the same, if not slightly better, situation at the start of the season. Now, compare the two. Our guys have twice the amount of wins and are two wins away from having more wins in a season than what the last coach was able to muster in his four years at Iowa State. If you can't be positive, especially for what next season could possibly be like, you need to step away for a bit.

Recruit
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 363
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Why don't you go tell this team that they are overachieving? Really? We have been in every game and people think they are overachieving? That is a terrible attitude to have...We really gave this game away. I would have loved to have seen what happened if Vanderbeken could have maintained his balance and not fallen out of bounds with 2 minutes left and the lead with a fresh shot clock. I don't think people would have been talking about overachieving at that point.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,146
    Given: 599

I prefer exceeding expectations to overachieving. Overachieving leaves the impression that these kids don't have talent, and I'm more convinced than ever that this is a really good basketball team.

DG, JVB, Jake and Scottie have been fantastic this year, and the freshmen are playing their butts off.

We're far ahead of schedule in the Freddie era with this team, and the transfers coming in next year. They're finally reawakening my passion for Iowa State basketball.