Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

More Potential Good News for B12 TV deal

Comcast-NBC merger approved by FCC - Jan. 18, 2011

The NBC-Comcast merger was approved today by the DOJ. Does a new NBC-Comcast alliance bid for a Big 12 TV contract? Keep in mind, the Versus channel is owned by Comcast.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 15

Re: More Potential Good News for B12 TV deal

I think the more potential buyers, the better. They will be hungry to land a major conference.

Pro
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 725
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

It is good and dandy to have them in the argument as long as they are bringing the potential for multiple Big 12 games on each weekend on a nationwide NBC, not just multiple games on Versus. The conference doesn't need another agreement like the one with Fox that shows multiple games on the Fox Sports Network, we need the games on national channels that everyone gets no matter what region they are in (ie. ABC, ESPN, CBS, etc.) and the best chance for this would likely be an ESPN/ABC agreement with the conference.

Although, throwing in an NBC nationwide contract would definitely insight some higher bidding if that is what they would offer!

Addict
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Maybe NBC can convince the Domers to join up then....

Addict
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46

Quote Originally Posted by SvrWxCy View Post
    It is good and dandy to have them in the argument as long as they are bringing the potential for multiple Big 12 games on each weekend on a nationwide NBC, not just multiple games on Versus. The conference doesn't need another agreement like the one with Fox that shows multiple games on the Fox Sports Network, we need the games on national channels that everyone gets no matter what region they are in (ie. ABC, ESPN, CBS, etc.) and the best chance for this would likely be an ESPN/ABC agreement with the conference.

Although, throwing in an NBC nationwide contract would definitely insight some higher bidding if that is what they would offer!
    This.
    I don't get the Versus channel anymore (for some reason my cable dropped it). I would love it if the Big 12 got a deal like the SEC with CBS.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 116
    Given: 40

Might be one of the few good things about the NBC\Comcast merger...

Pro
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 835
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 5

No! I want ESPN so the game will at least be on ESPN3. Unless the NBC/Comcast company has a strong web presence, then I want ESPN. Living out of the midwest entirely, I hate trying to track down a feed of the FSN games. ESPN3 for basketball is arguably the best thing ever!

But a bidding war would be nice!

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clone9 View Post
    No! I want ESPN so the game will at least be on ESPN3. Unless the NBC/Comcast company has a strong web presence, then I want ESPN. Living out of the midwest entirely, I hate trying to track down a feed of the FSN games. ESPN3 for basketball is arguably the best thing ever!

But a bidding war would be nice!
    All you need for NBC is an antenna.

Do you only have a computer?

All-Star
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 997
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

I don't think it really matters how many people see the games as much as how much the TV network pays for the overall deal.

The bottom line is TV revenue for football is what will keep the league together, not how many eyes see them or any other factor.

And I wouldn't ever expect to get a SEC-CBS deal or anything like the Big 10 has between ESPN and the Big 10 Network

I posted these numbers a while ago to show the discrepancy in revenue between SEC/Big10 and everybody else...

• Big Ten: $242 million ($22 million per school)
    • SEC: $205 million ($17.08 million per school)
    • Big 12: $78 million ($6.5 million per school)
    • ACC: $67 million ($5.58 million per school)
    • Pac-10: $58 million ($5.8 million per school)
    • Big East: $13 million for football/$20 million for basketball ($2.8 million per football school, $1.25 million per basketball school)

If you're trying to figure out what kind of deal the big 12 will get in the future, you'd have to expect to compare them to the ACC. The ACC just negotiated a deal last summer to jump from $67 million/yr to $155 million/yr (about 2.5 times bigger deal than their last). The Big 12 TV deal is a bit more complicated since the Fox rights open in 2012, but the ABC/ESPN rights open in 2016. Those in the complication of losing Neb/Colorado, but also subtracting two schools to the pot to draw revenue from.

In the end though, more TV networks to bid is a great thing, and you'd expect something similar to the 2.5 times jump like the ACC got. That would seem to reflect something close to what Beebe promised.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Two things really matter for us: $ and distribution.

The money is big, obviously, as we continue to become self-sufficient as an athletics department. But we need every dollar.

Whoever wins the Big 12 rights, I sure as hell hope they have a distribution plan that guarantees every Iowa State FB and MBB on no worse than expanded cable, but, ideally, on broadcast as often as possible.

All-Star
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 257
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyman05 View Post
    I don't think it really matters how many people see the games as much as how much the TV network pays for the overall deal.

The bottom line is TV revenue for football is what will keep the league together, not how many eyes see them or any other factor.

And I wouldn't ever expect to get a SEC-CBS deal or anything like the Big 10 has between ESPN and the Big 10 Network

I posted these numbers a while ago to show the discrepancy in revenue between SEC/Big10 and everybody else...

• Big Ten: $242 million ($22 million per school)
    • SEC: $205 million ($17.08 million per school)
    • Big 12: $78 million ($6.5 million per school)
    • ACC: $67 million ($5.58 million per school)
    • Pac-10: $58 million ($5.8 million per school)
    • Big East: $13 million for football/$20 million for basketball ($2.8 million per football school, $1.25 million per basketball school)

If you're trying to figure out what kind of deal the big 12 will get in the future, you'd have to expect to compare them to the ACC. The ACC just negotiated a deal last summer to jump from $67 million/yr to $155 million/yr (about 2.5 times bigger deal than their last). The Big 12 TV deal is a bit more complicated since the Fox rights open in 2012, but the ABC/ESPN rights open in 2016. Those in the complication of losing Neb/Colorado, but also subtracting two schools to the pot to draw revenue from.

In the end though, more TV networks to bid is a great thing, and you'd expect something similar to the 2.5 times jump like the ACC got. That would seem to reflect something close to what Beebe promised.
    If I remember correctly, the Current FSN contract is for 20 mil a year or something like that, maybe less. I think the estimate is that the FSN deal could be worth as much as 80-100 mil.

All-Star
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 997
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by SCNCY View Post
    If I remember correctly, the Current FSN contract is for 20 mil a year or something like that, maybe less. I think the estimate is that the FSN deal could be worth as much as 80-100 mil.
    I think I heard similar for the current $20mil/yr. It is something like that. But where'd you hear an estimate of the FSN deal being $80-$100 mil? The games in that deal wouldn't include the top 1-2 games each week that ABC takes...

I hope you're right about the estimate

Pro
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 835
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by JUKEBOX View Post
    All you need for NBC is an antenna.

Do you only have a computer?
    Of course I get NBC. I have cable. How many times was ISU on national cable this year, based on my cable here in Boston? One. I also paid for the extra sports package from Comcast. How many games did I watch on my tv? Four. All of those FSN games were not on my cable here....usually it was some lacrosse or some Patriots off season workout videos during the game...it sucked. I had to scour the internet for a feed. If NBC showed the 'premium' Big 12 game every week, or even two games, ISU wouldn't be on there too many more times. We'd be down to Versus or the other sub-networks.

With basketball, I've gotten 2 games on normal tv....Iowa (BTN) and KU (ESPN2). MANY of the non-con games are on ESPN3, and virtually all of the conference games are. This makes it very easy and very high quality, especially when considered it is on the web.

I would love to have most of our FB games on ESPN3....would make my life much easier. Especially since I'm the type that doesn't like to miss a game of any type. I know I'm in the minority as an Iowa State fan who lives far out of ISU and even Big 12 country.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Of course I get NBC. I have cable. How many times was ISU on national cable this year, based on my cable here in Boston? One. I also paid for the extra sports package from Comcast. How many games did I watch on my tv? Four. All of those FSN games were not on my cable here....usually it was some lacrosse or some Patriots off season workout videos during the game...it sucked. I had to scour the internet for a feed. If NBC showed the 'premium' Big 12 game every week, or even two games, ISU wouldn't be on there too many more times. We'd be down to Versus or the other sub-networks.

With basketball, I've gotten 2 games on normal tv....Iowa (BTN) and KU (ESPN2). MANY of the non-con games are on ESPN3, and virtually all of the conference games are. This makes it very easy and very high quality, especially when considered it is on the web.

I would love to have most of our FB games on ESPN3....would make my life much easier. Especially since I'm the type that doesn't like to miss a game of any type. I know I'm in the minority as an Iowa State fan who lives far out of ISU and even Big 12 country.
    I agree an ESPN/ABC deal would be the best deal, but would the games on NBC be regionally or nationally televised? How does the SEC handle this?

Last edited by JUKEBOX; 01-18-2011 at 09:27 PM.

Rookie
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 260
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Next year you won't have to live in Boston to be out of Big 12 country. Hell, I live in Omaha, 2.5 hours from Ames, and next year even I will be out of Big 12 Country. Sad but true.