Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 106

Football recruiting summary - Monday Jan 17

Two weekends to go before NSD, Feb. 2. Yaman, others, would you care to give a quick and dirty summary of where you believe we are, recruiting-wise, in the wake of the last two commitments, both WRs?

At CR, two EE (early enrollees) are listed. Should be three, correct, with Jevohn Miller matriculating early from high school? If so, we have 19 commitments and three EEs (it might be JM can't sign, though, until Feb. 2 and, thus, is not an EE scholarship-wise?)

WR Aaron Horne, according to CR, seems to be enrolled at ISU as of today. If so, can he qualify as an EE, or has the early signing period passed? If the latter, he'll count against the NSD total, then, correct?

Lots of technicalities for the non-recruiting expert people here (like me), preventing us from getting a clear picture of the Cyclones' recruiting class.

Is our recruiting now down to DLs, and DLs only, do you think?

Mankind, when left to themselves, are unfit for their own government.
    -George Washington

We, the People, are the problem. I knew it!

Pro
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 852
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsYour first Group

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 51

Re: Football recruiting summary - Monday Jan 17

I would think Josh Grady is still our #1 priority. With that said, hopefully we end up with a couple of DL commits. Maybe another defensive back.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 404

Hopefully will snag another WR or 2 and then try to find some late DL.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 536
    Given: 72

Outside of Grady I think it's all WR and DL from here on out. Perhaps a safety if they are a good one. Everyday it seems like a flip flop on which receievers I woudl like to get but I think Babineaux, Gonzalez, and Daniels are all viable options. For some reason I am very interested in Cedric Gilbert as well. I just think we could really use a big strong receiever like him. Miller could be an EE, he just can't actually sign. It still works the same I believe. It is sort of a moot point because we have 4 EE's as long as Horne is here tomorrow and I think Aclone finally got it through my head we have room for, at most 3 EEs because we were full last year. This is all considering everyone committed to use with immediately reciever a scholarship and not a a greyshirt. I don't really see anyone on the list who I think could have just been offered a greyshirt either.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

All-Star
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,119
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 106

Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    Outside of Grady I think it's all WR and DL from here on out. Perhaps a safety. . . . we could really use a big strong receiver. . . . Miller could be an EE, he just can't actually sign. It still works the same I believe. It is sort of a moot point because we have 4 EE's as long as Horne is here tomorrow. . . . I don't really see anyone on the list who I think could have just been offered a greyshirt
    Yaman, so, Horne could be an EE? That is, the Juco signing period hasn't expired? IIRC, it runs for something like 30 days (or used to). Mid-December to mid-January? Could be Horne just slipped in under the deadline to become an EE? If so, Miller, then, is definitely a member of the 2011 class despite being enrolled (3 EE limit).

Hmm, you don't believe we're done at WR? Interesting. I take it you believe we need a big, strong M. Hamilton type.

During the season, CPR said on his call-in show that you always take a great player regardless of whether that player's position is filled with commitments. So, Grady is under that umbrella should he commit, I take it.

Mankind, when left to themselves, are unfit for their own government.
    -George Washington

We, the People, are the problem. I knew it!

Pro
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 78
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 4

Outside of Grady I think it's all WR and DL from here on out. Perhaps a safety if they are a good one. Everyday it seems like a flip flop on which receievers I woudl like to get but I think Babineaux, Gonzalez, and Daniels are all viable options. For some reason I am very interested in Cedric Gilbert as well. I just think we could really use a big strong receiever like him. Miller could be an EE, he just can't actually sign. It still works the same I believe. It is sort of a moot point because we have 4 EE's as long as Horne is here tomorrow and I think Aclone finally got it through my head we have room for, at most 3 EEs because we were full last year. This is all considering everyone committed to use with immediately reciever a scholarship and not a a greyshirt. I don't really see anyone on the list who I think could have just been offered a greyshirt either.
    Don't forget Chris Gallon. He would be our biggest receiver(height) if he came our way.

Pro
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 861
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 41

[quote=yaman3;209924]
    I don't really see anyone on the list who I think could have just been offered a greyshirt either.
    what about Lalk????

Last edited by jburke; 01-17-2011 at 01:53 PM.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyValley View Post
    Yaman, so, Horne could be an EE? That is, the Juco signing period hasn't expired? IIRC, it runs for something like 30 days (or used to). Mid-December to mid-January? Could be Horne just slipped in under the deadline to become an EE? If so, Miller, then, is definitely a member of the 2011 class despite being enrolled (3 EE limit).

Hmm, you don't believe we're done at WR? Interesting. I take it you believe we need a big, strong M. Hamilton type.

During the season, CPR said on his call-in show that you always take a great player regardless of whether that player's position is filled with commitments. So, Grady is under that umbrella should he commit, I take it.
    An early enrolle is an early enrollee by when their scholarship takes effect. The three already here are all EEs. Don't get that confused with being able to sign them back to last year's class. That are not the same thing. Being able to sign them back depend on last years class. You can only sign them back as long as you aren't over 25 signed to last years class.

Well I still believe Grady my have the highest ceiling at QB of anyone if he sticks there. I don't think he's as good as Sam right now, but it looks to me like Sam has been molded and polished into a pretty darn good QB for someone just graduating high school. I think Grady is a really good athlete, who, with a little more QB coaching could become very good. I just don't know if we can afford to keep his athleticism off the field for 2 or so years while he develops into what we need him to be, not to mention Sam could really develop as well. Then all of sudden your second string QB has sat for two years at that position while we could possibly have a need for him somewhere else. That's just my take. I don't think Daniels will be at QB very long, especially if Grady stays there.

If we are done at WR I don't think it's by choice. Yes, we absolutely need a bigger stonger possesion reciever like Marquis. That's my opinion but by looking around at what the staff is looking at I believe they feel the same. Maybe Bundrage was that guy but I see him more as a Desmond Briscoe type of receiever. Cedric Gilbert IMO is the the strongest guy left and he is big. The problem with him is he can do that and only that. I don't see him being able to stretch the field like the others left but on 3rd and 5 when you need him to overpower a CB for position, he could be the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by brett108 View Post
    Don't forget Chris Gallon. He would be our biggest receiver(height) if he came our way.
    Yeah, I forgot. He's the best reciever left on the board so that is emabarrassing. If we could get him that would be great.

Or so I have read.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

[quote=jburke;2099279]
    what about Lalk????
    He will not be. That's the whole reason he had his shoulder surgery recently. The staff apparently told him either he could have it now and get his scholarship or he could wait until basketball was over and take a greyshirt. He elected for the now option and I don't see the staff going back on that.

Or so I have read.

Addict
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 936
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 162
    Given: 32

joshua grady.. reppin armwood

is he going to play WR? Or RB/WR Flex position?

Perhaps Corner?

Pro
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 861
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 41

Quote Originally Posted by dualthreat View Post

Perhaps Corner?
    Yeah his athlete status definitely make him a awesome fit for us, could with his height grow int awesome safety too.....

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dualthreat View Post

Perhaps Corner?
    Good question. I think he would get a shot at QB first but if he moves, I have no clue where it would be.

Or so I have read.

Starter
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

I think with Caspers and Howard counting towards 2009, and McCullough not showing up, we can sign a max of 28 this year with three counting towards 2010.

With Horne and Kron, we are currently at 23 commits. You could count any three of Jantz, Tautolo, Kron, Miller, or Horne towards 2010.

The 85 limit is where it gets tricky. Looking at the roster this is who is returning that is on scholly, I put a question mark by the guys who I'm not sure.

QB (3): Tiller, Barnett, Capello
    RB (5): Johnson, Woody, Hollis, White, Williams?
    TE (3): Hammerschmidt, Howard, Richardson
    OL (13): Osemele, Caspers, Farniok, Hicks, Burris, Gannon, Dika, Graham, Loth, Tuftee, Spears, Bykowski, Lichtenberg
    WR (8): Darks, Lenz, Reynolds, Young, West, Blanton, Gary, Range?
    DL (12): Lattimer, Maggitt, Nelson, Neal, Moore, Scott, McDonough, Ruempolhamer, Woods, Jensen, Laing, Black?
    LB (8): Knott, Klein, Taufoou, Morton, George, Morgan, Bennett, Mattison
    DB (10): Johnson, Benton, Reeves, Watson, Young, Thomas, Washington, Broomfield, Givens, Brooks
    ST (4): Mahoney, Van Der Kamp, Guyer?, Zimmerman?

If all those guys are on scholarship, we'd have 66 with room for 19. Thats if I'm not forgetting anybody.

--------------------------------------
    “Max Power—he's the man whose name you'd love to touch...
    But, you musn't touch!
    His name sounds good in your ear
    But when you say it, you mustn't fear
    Because his name can be said by anyone!”

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 42
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPower57 View Post
    I think with Caspers and Howard counting towards 2009, and McCullough not showing up, we can sign a max of 28 this year with three counting towards 2010.

With Horne and Kron, we are currently at 23 commits. You could count any three of Jantz, Tautolo, Kron, Miller, or Horne towards 2010.

The 85 limit is where it gets tricky. Looking at the roster this is who is returning that is on scholly, I put a question mark by the guys who I'm not sure.

QB (3): Tiller, Barnett, Capello
    RB (5): Johnson, Woody, Hollis, White, Williams?
    TE (3): Hammerschmidt, Howard, Richardson
    OL (13): Osemele, Caspers, Farniok, Hicks, Burris, Gannon, Dika, Graham, Loth, Tuftee, Spears, Bykowski, Lichtenberg
    WR (8): Darks, Lenz, Reynolds, Young, West, Blanton, Gary, Range?
    DL (12): Lattimer, Maggitt, Nelson, Neal, Moore, Scott, McDonough, Ruempolhamer, Woods, Jensen, Laing, Black?
    LB (8): Knott, Klein, Taufoou, Morton, George, Morgan, Bennett, Mattison
    DB (10): Johnson, Benton, Reeves, Watson, Young, Thomas, Washington, Broomfield, Givens, Brooks
    ST (4): Mahoney, Van Der Kamp, Guyer?, Zimmerman?

If all those guys are on scholarship, we'd have 66 with room for 19. Thats if I'm not forgetting anybody.
    Is Morton really scholarship? Looks like we aren't going to get any production out of Guyer, unless he still has a redshirt to use and possibly play 1 year after Mahoney is gone. Time for Spears, Bykowski, Moore, Scott, Black, and Brooks to really contribute on gameday this season. I would be really shocked if Bo and Range are still going to be in the program.

I'm sure the staff will get it all figured out, and if there's a recruit they really want they will find a way to make room.

Addict
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 828
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 132
    Given: 57

Quote Originally Posted by HardcoreClone View Post
    Is Morton really scholarship? Looks like we aren't going to get any production out of Guyer, unless he still has a redshirt to use and possibly play 1 year after Mahoney is gone. Time for Spears, Bykowski, Moore, Scott, Black, and Brooks to really contribute on gameday this season. I would be really shocked if Bo and Range are still going to be in the program.

I'm sure the staff will get it all figured out, and if there's a recruit they really want they will find a way to make room.
    Morton was put on scholarship this fall. It wouldn't surprise me if Guyer was paying his way this year with a promise to get a scholarship as a SR. Pretty sure he redshirted this season. I wonder about Zimmerman...is he on scholarship?