Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 184
    Given: 829

Redshirting Hoopsters

Interesting. I was thinking the other night, during the game, just what it might be like of Diante had been able to redshirt as a freshman--as he doubtless should have. He has made such huge strides over much maligned years, that I cannot help but think how perfectly he would fit into next year's team.

Of course, that's simply a pipe dream, because even if Diante did have another years of eligibility, it seems to me that it would certainly behoove him to leave early for the NBA following this season anyway. Ah well.

Thinking about "needed" redshirts, however, made me wonder where Antwan Oliver had transferred to--and just how good a player he might become in two or three years. Redshirting him was clearly the right thing to do.

For that matter, it made me think about how much Eric McKnight also needed a redshirt--and wondering if, in another three years, we might be wishing that he had been availed that redshirt season as well. Of course, much like DG, it may well prove that he wouldn't have used the fifth season in any case.

Part of this fanbase is like the parable of the blind men and the elephant.

Who knew?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,047
    Given: 1,861

Re: Redshirting Hoopsters

If McKnight is on the team next year, I think he gets that redshirt. There is no PT for him on next years team, and he's not needed for emergency depth.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 847
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 128

I don't think that 4 years ago anyone could have predicted where the program would be right now and what our lineups - this year and next - would look like to know how well DG might fit into the program at this point.

Pro
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 1,236
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 176

I don't think that 4 years ago anyone could have predicted where the program would be right now and what our lineups - this year and next - would look like to know how well DG might fit into the program at this point.

Exactly. The attrition during the McDermott regime makes any sort of guessing game as to whether or not any redshirt years effective or needed a pure game of speculation.

That being said it is hard for me to remember in recent history another players besides DG who has improved so much from one season ago. If he can keep it up during the rest of the conference season I can see him getting all-conference status, at the very least honorable mention.

"The fact that anybody can say anything does not mean that anything anybody says is worth hearing"

Starter
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 414
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 39

Quote Originally Posted by ISUChippewa View Post

Exactly. The attrition during the McDermott regime makes any sort of guessing game as to whether or not any redshirt years effective or needed a pure game of speculation.

That being said it is hard for me to remember in recent history another players besides DG who has improved so much from one season ago. If he can keep it up during the rest of the conference season I can see him getting all-conference status, at the very least honorable mention.
    If he continues on his current pace, he better be getting 1st team all-conference. Right now he is 6th in scoring, 1st in assists (22 more than 2nd), 5th in assist-turnover ratio, and 3rd in steals. If thats not 1st team all-conference, I don't know what is.

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 116
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by ISUChippewa View Post

I think part of it is improvement, but there is also Hoiberg letting DG play his type of game. The biggest improvment I see is shooting, but DG could always been able to dribble penetrate and dish, its just McD never wanted him to do that in his offense. He was used to having PGs like Brooks McKowen, who might as well have had his shoes poured from cement.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 796
    Given: 526

Quote Originally Posted by azepp View Post
    By playing the last three years, he is able to handle the pressure better this year. The big change is that Fred lets him shoot from outside three feet whereas the previous coach did not.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 796
    Given: 526

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneJames View Post
    If he continues on his current pace, he better be getting 1st team all-conference. Right now he is 6th in scoring, 1st in assists (22 more than 2nd), 5th in assist-turnover ratio, and 3rd in steals. If that's not 1st team all-conference, I don't know what is.
    We still need to win 6-8 games to get him the votes. Beating OSU would help. Looks like he is sneaky fast and can get the ball high in the air when he goes flying in. He looks to have a nice wingspan. He also is very clever in that he dribbles many different ways to confuse the defender. By the end of the game, the defender realizes that DG is one tough guy to press.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

All-Star
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 744
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 1

Mcknight could actually get a redshirt for this year depending on the amount of minutes he ends up logging. There is a certain percentage of minutes the NCAA will look at, it would be the same as when a player gets injured like 10 games in and doesnt play the rest of the season is rewarded another year of eligibility. I believe that is why the coaching staff doesn't put him in to close out some of these games.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,890
    Given: 899

Quote Originally Posted by ISUCyclone06 View Post
    Mcknight could actually get a redshirt for this year depending on the amount of minutes he ends up logging. There is a certain percentage of minutes the NCAA will look at, it would be the same as when a player gets injured like 10 games in and doesnt play the rest of the season is rewarded another year of eligibility. I believe that is why the coaching staff doesn't put him in to close out some of these games.
    I hope so. This year would seem like the waste of a year given how little he has actually played.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 238
    Given: 175

If you play 1 min you cannot get a redshirt unless you get injured.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Speechless
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 792
    Given: 691

I don't believe this is true unless he actually gets injured.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 238
    Given: 175

Some think using a redshirt at this level is a waste of a spot and if you use it on a player there is a question if he should even be playing at this level.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Pro
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,487
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 22

Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    Some think using a redshirt at this level is a waste of a spot and if you use it on a player there is a question if he should even be playing at this level.
    I tend to agree with this line of thinking.

I don't bring my own opinions, just attack others.

Legend
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 184
    Given: 829

Quote Originally Posted by azepp View Post
    Not referring to that whatsoever. I was referring to the fact that, as a true freshman DG was as skinny as a rail, and clearly overmatched in the limited minutes he was on the floor.

Mcknight could actually get a redshirt for this year depending on the amount of minutes he ends up logging.
    As previously mentioned, not unless he gets injured. And that injury has to occur early in the season, not the middle of it.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    Yeah, I guess that redshirting a whole class hasn't worked for, say, Nebraska.

Part of this fanbase is like the parable of the blind men and the elephant.

Who knew?