Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 57
  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 81,736, Level: 88
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Winterset Metroplex
    Posts
    2,489
    Points
    81,736
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

    JVB and SC: Slow Caucasians?

    Just finished reading the whole 34-page meltdown thread over at the Baylor site, and it amazes me that they came into the game thinking that Scotty and Jamie were practically members of the Washington Generals.

    "I can't believe we're getting torched by unathletic white guys!"

    This got me thinkin', and I guess I maybe CAN see why someone who doesn't watch ISU on a regular basis would think that JVB and SC are slow and unathletic. If you don't realize that our bench is stretched so thin that both of these guys played 35+ minutes last night (35 for Jamie, 39 for Scotty), then maybe you could see these guys playing against opponents who get regular stretches on the bench and judge them to be "unathletic".

    This also explains why Jamie is apparently so "bad" defensively in the post. If your only replacement is an inexperienced freshman, it makes no sense to try and play shut-down defense down low. Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to see JVB give us 25-30 minutes of shutdown defense before fouling out - but what he NEEDS to give us is 35+ minutes of good defense.

    And that's even before you factor in the bone spurs in Scotty's elbow and the tendonitis that Jamie has been playing with.

    As far as their "white guys" and "cracker" comments go.....well, yeah; no **** Sherlock. Dudes are pretty pasty white. No helping that without hours spent in a tanning booth, and then we'd have to have trainers screening them for melanomas as well as all their existing medical issues; so I guess we're stuck with "pasty white" for the time being.



  2. #2
    Chile Mac is Back!
    Points: 302,586, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    LindenCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    23,024
    Points
    302,586
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 344
    Given: 726

    Re: JVB and SC: Slow Caucasians?

    We've had some unathletic white guys, but these 2 are not them, especially SC.



  3. #3
    Legend
    Points: 167,404, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    The_Architect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Focus Town
    Posts
    11,410
    Points
    167,404
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 255
    Given: 987

    Re: JVB and SC: Slow Caucasians?

    If you've seen SC dunk the ball during warm-ups you'd realize just how "unathletic" he is. LOL.


    While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 34,321, Level: 57
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,129
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    DurangoCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Durango, CO
    Posts
    1,767
    Points
    34,321
    Level
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 21

    Re: JVB and SC: Slow Caucasians?

    Quote Originally Posted by CYlent Bob View Post
    Just finished reading the whole 34-page meltdown thread over at the Baylor site, and it amazes me that they came into the game thinking that Scotty and Jamie were practically members of the Washington Generals.

    "I can't believe we're getting torched by unathletic white guys!"

    This got me thinkin', and I guess I maybe CAN see why someone who doesn't watch ISU on a regular basis would think that JVB and SC are slow and unathletic. If you don't realize that our bench is stretched so thin that both of these guys played 35+ minutes last night (35 for Jamie, 39 for Scotty), then maybe you could see these guys playing against opponents who get regular stretches on the bench and judge them to be "unathletic".

    This also explains why Jamie is apparently so "bad" defensively in the post. If your only replacement is an inexperienced freshman, it makes no sense to try and play shut-down defense down low. Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to see JVB give us 25-30 minutes of shutdown defense before fouling out - but what he NEEDS to give us is 35+ minutes of good defense.

    And that's even before you factor in the bone spurs in Scotty's elbow and the tendonitis that Jamie has been playing with.

    As far as their "white guys" and "cracker" comments go.....well, yeah; no **** Sherlock. Dudes are pretty pasty white. No helping that without hours spent in a tanning booth, and then we'd have to have trainers screening them for melanomas as well as all their existing medical issues; so I guess we're stuck with "pasty white" for the time being.
    Can we get them some coupons for some tanning sessions?



  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 55,710, Level: 73
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,340
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    uro cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,345
    Points
    55,710
    Level
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 58

    Re: JVB and SC: Slow Caucasians?

    Rest of the B12....please keep thinking this...



  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 81,736, Level: 88
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Winterset Metroplex
    Posts
    2,489
    Points
    81,736
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

    Re: JVB and SC: Slow Caucasians?

    Quote Originally Posted by DurangoCy View Post
    Can we get them some coupons for some tanning sessions?

    Like I said, tanning sessions would also require us to have a team oncologist. Probably not in this year's budget, but maybe JP could swing something by '12-'13.



  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 39,161, Level: 61
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,189
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    2,620
    Points
    39,161
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 3

    Re: JVB and SC: Slow Caucasians?

    we should recruit more white guys, they scare the **** out of Baylor.



  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 227,057, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Clones21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    17,558
    Points
    227,057
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: JVB and SC: Slow Caucasians?

    Quote Originally Posted by uro cy View Post
    Rest of the B12....please keep thinking this...
    This.


    "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

  9. #9
    Pro
    Points: 74,523, Level: 84
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    shagcarpetjesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,628
    Points
    74,523
    Level
    84
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 87
    Given: 29

    Re: JVB and SC: Slow Caucasians?

    We all see SC play every game so we know his game pretty well. But it's not that surprising that fans of other teams see a white kid from Wisconsin who shoots 50%+ from 3 point range and think, "Oh, he's just an unathletic spot up shooter." And yes, it is to ISU's benefit that the rest of the league think along these lines for the rest of the season. Unfortunately, I don't think the rest of the Big 12 is going to be as clueless on the defensive end as Baylor was last night.



  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 394,167, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    57,766
    Points
    394,167
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 404
    Given: 293

    Re: JVB and SC: Slow Caucasians?

    Quote Originally Posted by uro cy View Post
    Rest of the B12....please keep thinking this...
    Yeah, they are white, they are slow, they are unathletic, and they cannot shoot. Just guard DG. Big 12, just keep it coming that way and it will make our day.


    CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

  11. #11
    Starter
    Points: 13,365, Level: 35
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 685
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    806
    Points
    13,365
    Level
    35
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 2

    Re: JVB and SC: Slow Caucasians?

    I did like the following response. At least he has a sense of humor about it.

    rudylaw
    (465 points)


    Join DateAug 2003LocationChicago, ILPosts2,975

    Originally Posted by baylor_fanatic
    No kidding. the white kids and cracker reference show a lot of racism from people. it is really sad. It is amazing how people see things only through skin color. so if it were some black guys making the 3's would they then start making skin color references about them and using derogatory names to do so?





    No... it's because they both have long and annoying last names. I ain't trying to type out Cristopherson and Vanderbeken 14 times after each made three pointer. Hell, by the time you finish typing out one of their names, the other has already hit another wide open 25 footer.



  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 81,736, Level: 88
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Winterset Metroplex
    Posts
    2,489
    Points
    81,736
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

    Re: JVB and SC: Slow Caucasians?

    Quote Originally Posted by c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s View Post
    I did like the following response. At least he has a sense of humor about it.

    rudylaw
    (465 points)


    Join DateAug 2003LocationChicago, ILPosts2,975
    Originally Posted by baylor_fanatic
    No kidding. the white kids and cracker reference show a lot of racism from people. it is really sad. It is amazing how people see things only through skin color. so if it were some black guys making the 3's would they then start making skin color references about them and using derogatory names to do so?





    No... it's because they both have long and annoying last names. I ain't trying to type out Cristopherson and Vanderbeken 14 times after each made three pointer. Hell, by the time you finish typing out one of their names, the other has already hit another wide open 25 footer.
    Yeah, that was a classic comeback.



  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 25,105, Level: 48
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 445
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    southern iowa
    Posts
    2,580
    Points
    25,105
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 83

    Re: JVB and SC: Slow Caucasians?

    Funny how the supposed more athletic Baylor team had a hard time guarding the slow, unathletic white guys. Hope the rest of the Big XII has the same trouble.


    Go Cyclones!!

  14. #14
    Recruit
    Points: 7,435, Level: 25
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    112
    Points
    7,435
    Level
    25
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 66

    Re: JVB and SC: Slow Caucasians?

    Quote Originally Posted by c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s View Post
    I did like the following response. At least he has a sense of humor about it.
    No... it's because they both have long and annoying last names. I ain't trying to type out Cristopherson and Vanderbeken 14 times after each made three pointer. Hell, by the time you finish typing out one of their names, the other has already hit another wide open 25 footer.

    Using this logic it would be alright to say "the *n-word* just made a basket" when reffering to a black or African American person...



  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 37,380, Level: 59
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 470
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    HOTDON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Fort Dodge, IA
    Posts
    2,391
    Points
    37,380
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: JVB and SC: Slow Caucasians?

    I'm sure there were teams that assumed our coach was an unathletic cracker in his day too. Different year, same result.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM