Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 9

The Future is Bright.

Long term: Fred. He appears to be the man and instills confidence in players like I have never seen. The way our guys continue to put up shots (even when they are off) is impressive. I've seen very few heads hung low all year. The key will be to keep Lutz around for a few years so Fred can extract every bit of knowledge out of him as he can. I suspect Lutz will want another head coaching job, but Fred would be wise to keep him for a while. Otz is obviously huge as a recruiter and will likely also leave, but as long as we have the ball rolling before then, then we should be ok.

Short term: Godfrey. What a steal as a late pickup. If he can continue to improve, he will be an amazing Big 12 player. I'd say he could EASILY be Paul Shirley, if not better.

Ejim. Seems to be the real deal. Has the type of ability to be a Wes Johnson type of player (sorry if this brings up bad memories). If he can improve his jump shot, then he could play in the league. I like that he seems to have just a bit of arrogance/confidence/whatever you want to call it.

Scotty. One more year....but it's gonna be a hell of a year.

Bubu. At worst, he will always be a great backup PG who can bring the heat on the defensive end and provide a boost.

Railey. Jury is still out, but has shown signs that he could be very good. Remember, he's a true freshman, and it is very difficult for tall guys to perform that young.

The guys on the sideline. They are talented. They are experienced. If they live up to half of their expectations, they will be very good.

The losses: Both DG and JVB will be very difficult to replace. DG is so experienced and so creative on the offensive end. The only thing he lacks is consistency, but he is getting much better....and who can realistically expect him to be consistently great, which he has been the last 2 games. JVB is a unique player, getting a ton of open 3's because the other team's big men try to guard him. Also, he shoots an incredibly high percentage. Our style will have to change a little without these two, but I have no doubt Fred will adjust our style slightly to take advantage of any unique strengths of our current roster.

Recruit
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: The Future is Bright.

Yeah. Lutz is key but i am confident he will be around for a while. The biggest worry is keeping T.J Otz. With the surprising success this year and next year ISU should have a break out year. NCAA Tournament talk. This will be key in getting the program back on its feet. I think the recruits will be beggin to come.

All-Star
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 885
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 16

Quote Originally Posted by Clone9 View Post
    Long term: Fred. He appears to be the man and instills confidence in players like I have never seen. The way our guys continue to put up shots (even when they are off) is impressive. I've seen very few heads hung low all year. The key will be to keep Lutz around for a few years so Fred can extract every bit of knowledge out of him as he can. I suspect Lutz will want another head coaching job, but Fred would be wise to keep him for a while. Otz is obviously huge as a recruiter and will likely also leave, but as long as we have the ball rolling before then, then we should be ok.

Short term: Godfrey. What a steal as a late pickup. If he can continue to improve, he will be an amazing Big 12 player. I'd say he could EASILY be Paul Shirley, if not better.

Ejim. Seems to be the real deal. Has the type of ability to be a Wes Johnson type of player (sorry if this brings up bad memories). If he can improve his jump shot, then he could play in the league. I like that he seems to have just a bit of arrogance/confidence/whatever you want to call it.

Scotty. One more year....but it's gonna be a hell of a year.

Bubu. At worst, he will always be a great backup PG who can bring the heat on the defensive end and provide a boost.

Railey. Jury is still out, but has shown signs that he could be very good. Remember, he's a true freshman, and it is very difficult for tall guys to perform that young.

The guys on the sideline. They are talented. They are experienced. If they live up to half of their expectations, they will be very good.

The losses: Both DG and JVB will be very difficult to replace. DG is so experienced and so creative on the offensive end. The only thing he lacks is consistency, but he is getting much better....and who can realistically expect him to be consistently great, which he has been the last 2 games. JVB is a unique player, getting a ton of open 3's because the other team's big men try to guard him. Also, he shoots an incredibly high percentage. Our style will have to change a little without these two, but I have no doubt Fred will adjust our style slightly to take advantage of any unique strengths of our current roster.
    Don't we lose Jake Anderson as well? I think he has been invaluable to provide maturity, energy, and leadership while DG repaired his confidence. WE haven't heard much about him recently but I think he is still an important part of the success this team has had.

Whether you think you can or think you can't;
    you are right. Henry Ford

Pro
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,127
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by IsUaClone2 View Post
    Don't we lose Jake Anderson as well? I think he has been invaluable to provide maturity, energy, and leadership while DG repaired his confidence. WE haven't heard much about him recently but I think he is still an important part of the success this team has had.
    You're right. IMO, the most important things Jake brings are strength and toughness. Hopefully one of the new guys will be able to offer that....but if not, then he will be extremely missed. That type of rebounding from the guard position is hard to find.

Prospect
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 102
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by IsUaClone2 View Post
    Anderson is a gem. His experience, maturity, and basketball savvy is critical to the team's success.

All-Star
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 344
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 2

Hoiberg demands team ball. We need to continue to have that swagger where everyone looks after each other. It appears that will be the case watching the transfers on the sidelines. Thats the difference between this year and last years team. Talent is only part of the equation.

Addict
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 390
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 553
    Given: 115

Quote Originally Posted by ISUCyclone06 View Post
    Hoiberg demands team ball. We need to continue to have that swagger where everyone looks after each other. It appears that will be the case watching the transfers on the sidelines. Thats the difference between this year and last years team. Talent is only part of the equation.
    I agree. I've been pretty impressed with the unselfishness that the transfers who are sitting have shown so far. I realize we still have a few months before these guys get to actually play for ISU, but so far, so good.

I think Hoiberg's influence is helping that situation.

Pro
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 328
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 14

I think the 2012 recruiting class is going to be huge for us to maintain our success. Each of Hoiberg's first three seasons will have 2 Senior Guards to lead them.
    DG-Jake 10/11
    SC-Allen 11/12
    Babb-McGee 12/13

The 11 PGs (Sledge-Odunsi) combined with the 12 SGs will define this team for multiple years.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 136

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qrriKcwvlY&ob=av3em]YouTube - Timbuk 3 - The Future's So Bright[/ame]

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 439
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 363
    Given: 148

Things are looking really good to me. Very happy with the hire and the fire.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 283
    Given: 183

Fred seems to connect with players, like Morgan did, and gets them to play hard, like LE did. The players really seem to respect him also.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Addict
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,301
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 253
    Given: 445

Bubu will not play after this season. He is not near good enough to play in the Big 12. What he is though is an energy guy, a team payer, and is exactly what you look for in a walk on. He has been very valuable this season due to lack of depth, but don't be fooled, he is only playing for that very reason. I would not be surprised to see him transfer to a small school where he can garner a scholarship and play.

All-Star
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 544
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by xboxfever View Post
    Bubu will not play after this season. He is not near good enough to play in the Big 12. What he is though is an energy guy, a team payer, and is exactly what you look for in a walk on. He has been very valuable this season due to lack of depth, but don't be fooled, he is only playing for that very reason. I would not be surprised to see him transfer to a small school where he can garner a scholarship and play.
    You obviously don't value a good defensive player if you say that. Bubu went toe to toe with some of the best Big 12 talent last night and played lock-down defense. Yeah, he's not going to be a scorer, but he'll remain a very valuable defensive player.

Pro
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 976
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 12

"The Future is Bright."

That's OK. I got shades

Addict
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,392
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 308
    Given: 139

Quote Originally Posted by xboxfever View Post
    I don't see why everyone is so sure the Bubu is never going to play after this year. He is a red shirt walk on freshman. He is a decent ball handler, plays pretty good defense, has good size, is very quick and has had at least one game where he scored some points. I don't think he will be all Big 12, but I don't think it is clear he will not play in the future either.