Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Breaking down the rest of the season

VS. BAYLOR- Hilton has gotta be loud, Baylor is a good team, but not a great team, they can be beaten. They don't respond well to adversity. THE PICK: W
    @ OK STATE- One of the tougher places to play in the Big 12, and a combination of Oklahoma State playing good ball is not good for the good guys. THE PICK: L
    @ MIZZOU - Iowa State matches up best with Missouri out of the "big boys" in the Big 12, but Missouri is very tough to beat in Columbia. THE PICK: L
    VS. TX TECH- Iowa State has showed promise of playing tough at home, and with the Red Raiders struggling, this one looking good. THE PICK: W
    VS. OKLAHOMA- Iowa State has to contain Cade Davis, with this happenning, Oklahoma is not a very tough team. THE PICK: W
    @ COLORADO- Tad Boyle has this Colorado team playing some outstanding basketball. Iowa State always finds ways to play poorly in Boulder as it is, this could be one of the toughest games that Iowa State has to play on the road.
    If ISU can contain Burks, there is hope. THE PICK: L
    VS. K-STATE- Kansas State, the preseaso pick to win the Big 12, is under achieving, to say the least. The only problem with this game, the depth in the frontcourt for KSU vs. the lack of depth in the frontcourt for Iowa State. This game looks winable, but a tough one at the same time. THE PICK: L
    @ KANSAS- We all saw what Kansas can do last Wednesday, they are the most talented team in the Big 12 at this point in time. On the flip side, Iowa State usually finds a way to hang with the Jayhawks in Lawrence for a while, but the overpowering Jayhawks are too much for the Cyclones. THE PICK: L
    @ TEXAS A&M- Turning into one of the best teams in the Big 12, they will finish in the top 4 in the Big 12, very tough road test for Iowa State. I just don't see the Cyclones pulling this tough game off. THE PICK: L
    VS. MIZZOU- Missouri is like Iowa State, they lack some height. This is still a very tough game for Iowa State, but I think this could be one of many signature wins in the beginning of the Hoiberg era. THE PICK: W
    @ TEXAS- Rick Barnes and his guys have the chemistry this year, this team won't be falling apart this year. THE PICK: L
    VS. NEBRASKA- Iowa State will not let this one get away, after what happened in Lincoln. Iowa State will win the last matchup in a while against Doc Sadler's Cornhuskers. THE PICK: W
    VS. COLORADO- Week by week this game is getting bigger for Iowa State. First year coach Tad Boyle is doing a great job with the talent he has, much like Hoiberg is doing in Ames. The Buffaloes are led by Burks, who is a guard with great size at 6'6''. In Hilton, I like our chances. THE PICK: W
    @ K-STATE- Kansas State and coach Frank Martin have not forgot about what happened last year in Manhattan. His guys will be focused to not let it happen again this year. THE PICK: L

Final Record: 19-12

Let me know your thoughts on this.

Pro
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 563
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 114
    Given: 9

Re: Breaking down the rest of the season

pretty solid analysis, and I can agree with pretty much all of it. I could see all of those things happening "right now" I say right now because you always see a team or two fall off from the rest of the pack in the Big 12 and you always see a few "rise up" to the challenge....

Here is to hoping us Cyclones "rise up" to the challenge....

I WAS THERE!!!!!!

Pro
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 3

Seems like a pretty reasonable analysis.

What I like here is that our final record still looks okay with such a reasonable analysis.

I don't see any way our team gets to the NCAA's... but I think there's a chance we could pull off an NIT bid. Which would be outstanding, especially considering how this couldn't be done in the past few years.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

19-12 would get us an NIT bid.

"Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,641
    Given: 430

I would love to think we only lose one more game at Hilton from here on out but I'm not sure if I agree with that.

As the same time I don't agree that we won't win ANY road conference games. I think we'll find a way to steal one... hopefully.

If you made me predict right now I'd put us at 18 wins.

Addict
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,605
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 329
    Given: 727

Seems about right.

I could see getting swept by Mizz, KSU or CU, though. Hopefully not all three.

The way the conference games have shaped up so far, I'm not sure what to expect.

In a way, I'd almost prefer that ISU's home-away South schedule was the opposite this season. I think Tech & OU are beatable no matter what and I'd give the Cyclones a legitimate shot against A&M and Texas at Hilton.

I'll stick w/ 5-11/18-13, but hoping for a pleasant surprise.

Bass Lake Beacon: The best in local news satire

Walk On
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyclones500 View Post
    Seems about right.

The way the conference games have shaped up so far, I'm not sure what to expect.

In a way, I'd almost prefer that ISU's home-away South schedule was the opposite this season. I think Tech & OU are beatable no matter what and I'd give the Cyclones a legitimate shot against A&M and Texas at Hilton.

Texas would be extremely tough in Hilton, we might as well play them on the road. And no game on the road in the Big 12 is a given.

Addict
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,605
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 329
    Given: 727

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone357 View Post
    Texas would be extremely tough in Hilton, we might as well play them on the road. And no game on the road in the Big 12 is a given.
    True.

It probably wouldn't make a huge difference to have the other South rotation. I guess OSU/Baylor would be about an even swap (although ISU winning at Baylor seems more feasible than winning at OSU). Get TT/OU in either scenario and steal A&M/UT at home 4-2 compared to 3-3, at an optimist/realist ceiling. But one more win is a win.

And since it's only a thought experiment, I can't be proven wrong.

Bass Lake Beacon: The best in local news satire

Starter
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyclones500 View Post
    Seems about right.

I kinda disagree on reversing the south - I like the fact we play Baylor, Tech and OU at home - I see those as all wins. If these were on the road they may all be losses and then Texas, A&M and OSU would be tough home wins.

My conference wins would be Baylor (H), Tech (H) and OU (H), K St (H) and Nebraska (H) this gives us 5 - then we have to somehow get one more to go 6 and 10 - putting us at 19 and 12. NIT would be great. Key is staying/getting healthy.