Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 17

Big Ten Network

SLow day so I'll try to hit a nerve. I find it quite ironic that the Iowa fans were all giddy that Kevin Weiberg left his positon as Big XII commish to join the BTN. I alway though on a national level the Big XII conference media coverage really stunk!! Didn't they screw up when they signed last contract with ABC that stated when there was a Big XII team playing on ABC that no other Big XII team could be on another network in the same time slot? If I were the already struggling BTN I would not want that kiind of track record on my mgt team. If I had stock in the BTN I would be calling my broker with a SELL NOW order!!

Pro
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 595
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Big Ten Network

I think it was just an easy thing to talk about and joke about. I think that Texas and Oklahoma pushed Weiberg out

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 7

The big 10 network is going to lose this fight. The first game is 3 weeks away and they have no deal with anyone other than themselves (directv). It should be on the sports teir, that is where it belongs.

If the big12 had a network (they should), I would gladly pay for it.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Pro
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,058
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

That may be true Jon. But that does not change the fact that the guy has a poor track record of negotiating media coantracts.

Anyway, we may not need a Big XII network as long as we cash in on the empty slots the Big Ten leaves behind!!! I dont care what conference you are it will be tough to justify an entire network when all most people care about is MBB and football. I don't need to see indepth interviews with the assistant women's track coach in May. I'm gald the Big Ten will try it first and not us. I'm sure ESPN, FOX, ABC and CBS will remind them of there insolence when/if they come crawling back.

Last edited by intrepid27; 08-11-2007 at 03:41 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,563
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 3

I still find it funny that not a single city with a big ten team has a cable company with a contract with the BTN. I have a feeling that the BTN will have to give in but it won't happen till next year.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Reality about the BTN.. Iowa will be on TV for EVERY game and Most Iowa Fans will be able to watch the game due to the fact that almost EVERY locally owned small cable company in Iowa signed on the BTN....and next year ISU fans wil NOT be able to watch the Iowa-ISU game unless their cable company carries the BTN and it will be that way every other year. and the BTN likely will not share TV revenue with visiting teams......It you think about that for a second......the hard core hawk haters are usually the ones who go to the Game in Ames and refuse to go to I.C...if this is the case then they need a carrier for BTN to watch the Game.. The BTN is not going to disappear......face reality.

All-Star
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 797
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by intrepid27 View Post
    SLow day so I'll try to hit a nerve. I find it quite ironic that the Iowa State fans were all giddy that Kevin Weiberg left his positon as Big XII commish to join the BTN. I alway though on a national level the Big XII conference media coverage really stunk!! Didn't they screw up when they signed last contract with ABC that stated when there was a Big XII team playing on ABC that no other Big XII team could be on another network in the same time slot? If I were the already struggling BTN I would not want that kiind of track record on my mgt team. If I had stock in the BTN I would be calling my broker with a SELL NOW order!!

Fixed it for you.

Yeah well, ya know, that's just, like uh, your opinion, man.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 113

Iowa faithful is talking about their games being on Medicom for non conference. Yeah, like you can depend on Mediacom. The Big Ten Network or BTN might be the shortest lived network ever. They might have to broadcast over the internet.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Addict
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 1,295
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

I have DirecTv so who gives a crap. I just wish they had womens beach volleyball in the Lil 11.

#BEATIOWA

Addict
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 311
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by flyhighcy View Post
    Reality about the BTN.. Iowa will be on TV for EVERY game and Most Iowa Fans will be able to watch the game due to the fact that almost EVERY locally owned small cable company in Iowa signed on the BTN....and next year ISU fans wil NOT be able to watch the Iowa-ISU game unless their cable company carries the BTN and it will be that way every other year. and the BTN likely will not share TV revenue with visiting teams......It you think about that for a second......the hard core hawk haters are usually the ones who go to the Game in Ames and refuse to go to I.C...if this is the case then they need a carrier for BTN to watch the Game.. The BTN is not going to disappear......face reality.
    I'm not a t.v expert, but I would think if they won't share revenue, they're going to have a hard time scheduling teams that will want to come play them. If there's no money in it, why do it?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 255
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    I'm not a t.v expert, but I would think if they won't share revenue, they're going to have a hard time scheduling teams that will want to come play them. If there's no money in it, why do it?

Bobber, they won't have any money to share as nobody is subscribing to their network!

There are several small cable companies in Iowa (I do not know the % of viewers, I know Mediacom is by far the largest cable provider in Iowa) that signed with the Big 10 network, but I am hearing they were 'strongarmed' meaning the rate the Big 10 network was seeking may go up if they do not sign right now. I thought I also heard that some of those local cable companies are now trying to get out of those deals.

Once again something related to the Big 10 thinks they are better then they really are.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 7

The big10 will settle soon, and let mediacom put it on the sports tier where it should be. They are getting to close to the season to let all those eyeballs go somewhere else.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I think this was one of the few things that the hawks and clones both liked.

The guy seemed to never "go to bat" for the B12. This is evident with the media packages and the quote about lobbying (or lack there of) the selection committee last year. I think the best compliment I've heard about this guy goes along the lines of was he was ok...I guess.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 875
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

I can't stand how they B10 is making it sound like you won't be able to see Hawk Games on TV if you don't get the package. In Reality....Iowa will probably be on ABC a couple times (free), Local KDSM 5ish times (free), B10 Network 3ish times, Versus 1 time, and ESPN/2/U a couple times. Iowa First 5 games are already nailed down for TV.
    ESPN U, BTN, VERSUS, ABC, ESPN

ISU has to go 6-0 to get picked up by ABC. That is sad that we only have one scheduled TV game right now. The Big 12 just picks who ever is hot to put on.
    I think we need to play 2 Thur Games per season to get around that stupid ***** contract. There is no reason every team isn't on TV.

I really don't think people understand how important it is for us to get on ABC, ESPN , Fox, or at least local TV.
    What needs to happen (which it won't) ---
    B12 Network on the Sports Pak that I might pay $5 per month.
    Out of 12 games
    -ISU gets on B12 Network for 4 games
    -ISU gets on Fox Sports Midwest 2 Times
    -ISU gets 2 ABC games
    -The rest can be locally produced by some station instead of living in 1947
    IMO

Last edited by HandSanitizer; 08-11-2007 at 09:51 PM.

Legend
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 19

Quote Originally Posted by flyhighcy View Post
    Reality about the BTN.. Iowa will be on TV for EVERY game and Most Iowa Fans will be able to watch the game due to the fact that almost EVERY locally owned small cable company in Iowa signed on the BTN....and next year ISU fans wil NOT be able to watch the Iowa-ISU game unless their cable company carries the BTN and it will be that way every other year. and the BTN likely will not share TV revenue with visiting teams
    All the more reason to cancel the Iowa series and look for a game with a team that will get on TV...

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy