Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35
  1. #1
    Starter
    Points: 11,780, Level: 32
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 170
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    758
    Points
    11,780
    Level
    32
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

    Football weight lifting program

    Does anybody happen to know the actual lifting program the football team is on or where to find it online? It's clearly obvious they are in better shape and getting bigger. I need to switch up my military work out program and figure it couldn't hurt doing their program. Also, anybody know what supplements they are taking? I read some where that now they have unlimited funds for supplements as apposed to the past having a budget. Thanks in advance for any help.



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 253,918, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    BryceC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    16,664
    Points
    253,918
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 131
    Given: 0

    Re: Football weight lifting program

    I know this is a little off topic... but if you are interested in workouts, find the workout the guys from the movie "300" did. It's absolutely mind blowing. I wouldn't recommend it unless you have all day to lift, but it's insane what those guy did imo.




  3. #3
    Legend
    Points: 407,596, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cyclonedave25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    14,647
    Points
    407,596
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 565
    Given: 268

    Re: Football weight lifting program

    I too saw the workout from that movie (300), it's pretty intense!
    You can find videos from it on you tube.



  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 336,980, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    31,904
    Points
    336,980
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 208

    Re: Football weight lifting program

    I have a lifting program that is yielding me pretty good results. If you're interested, PM me and I'll type it up and e-mail it to you.



  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 452,597, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    brianhos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Trenchtown
    Posts
    39,718
    Points
    452,597
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 265
    Given: 36

    Re: Football weight lifting program

    This is the program I started about 6 months ago. It is a great beginner program that will build you a lot of mass quick. It is pretty intense though, so not for the girly men.

    Bodybuilding.com Forums - View Single Post - Writeup for Rippetoe's program


    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

  6. #6
    Starter
    Points: 13,092, Level: 34
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 258
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    673
    Points
    13,092
    Level
    34
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Football weight lifting program

    The ¨300¨ actors trained at a gym that used a Crossfit-derived program (Gym Jones (?) I think--originally was a crossfitter then opened his own gym). That type of workout actually doesn´t take too long, as it is very intense. What you may have seen was the probably 300 final fitness test, which as I understand it was a huge test running the gamut of their workouts and skills.

    Crossfit is a great program--I started about a month ago. Go read about it on Welcome to CrossFit: Forging Elite Fitness Very good concept and it has a strong following in the military and public service worlds (firefighter, police, etc.). Crossfit isn´t about building mass, but rather becoming as fit as you possibly can. They incorporate olympic lifts, gynastics, and several other things to hit every type of fitness you can. So one day you may run 5k or 10k, but then the next day you may have to do 100 squats, 5 muscle ups (pullup/dip combined), 75 squats, 10 muscle ups, 50 squats, 15 muscle ups, 25 squats, and 20 muscle ups all as fast as you can do it. Huge amount of variety, which I love. Note that when you first start you will have to substitute for a lot of the exercises, but there are websites that scale them all down, as the prescribed workouts can be insane.

    Lastly, it doesn´t require much equipment, as you can get by with almost nothing (substituting) and do almost everything with a set of rings, olympic bar/bumper plates, and a kettleball/dumbell. Great online community as well.

    -Soren



  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 336,980, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    31,904
    Points
    336,980
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 208

    Re: Football weight lifting program

    I had a couple PM's on this so I wanted to post it here. Finally got around to typing it up. I've been getting the 4 different groups in each week and then trying to get some cardio in on a 5th day. Right now my order is Chest/Shoulders, Legs - Quads, Back and Legs - Hamstrings. I do a month of 12's then switch to 8's (number of sets increases on some exercises) and then a month of 5's (again, sets increase) - then back to 12's. Eventually I'm going to work in some core exercises on the days I do legs so I can work my core 4 times a week.

    Chest/Shoulders


    Bench (12x2)
    Alternating Dumbell chest press (6x6x6 (left x right x together) x2)
    Push-ups (20x2)
    Barbell shoulder press (12x2)
    Alternating Dumbell shoulder press (6x6x6 (left x right x together) x2)
    Cheerleaders ((arms at side, raise up at sides, bring straight forward, bring straight back, down, repeat) 12x2)

    Elective oblique core exercise
    Sluggers (12x2 each side)
    Unbalanced bicycles (60-90 seconds x2)


    Back

    Pull-ups (12x2)
    Squat pull-downs (12x2)
    Hi-Lo rear delt fly (12x2)
    Low-rows (12x2)
    Angle pullups ((heels on grounds, pull up on bar so your body is at nearly a 45 degree angle with ground - progressively make harder by lowering bar) 12x2)
    Dumbell plank rows ((push up position with dumbell in each hand, bring one up, hold, down, bring the other up, hold, down, etc) 12x2

    Medicine ball leg raise & reach ((can sub dumbell for weight) 25x2)
    Bosu bicycle ((bicycles sitting on a bosu ball) 12x2)
    Elective core exercise


    Legs - Quads

    Bulgarian lunges (12x2 each) super-set with...
    Split-cyclone lunge jumps ((lunge position, jump, land in opposite lunge position, jump, etc) 12x2 each)

    Single leg extensions (12x2 each) super-set with...
    Lunge forward/backwards (12x2 each)

    Single leg jump-to-box (12x2) super-set with...
    Single leg squat-and-reach (12x2)


    Legs - Hamstrings

    Squats (12x2)
    Dead lifts (12x2)
    Straight leg dead lifts (12x2)

    Single leg hamstring curls (20x2) super-set with...
    Single leg hamstring resistance band speed curls (20x2)



  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 93,293, Level: 95
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,757
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cytech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hiawatha, Iowa
    Posts
    6,202
    Points
    93,293
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 7

    Re: Football weight lifting program

    My football weight lifting program includes large amounts of small weights. The good old 12 oz curls.



  9. #9
    Starter
    Points: 14,206, Level: 36
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 644
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    700
    Points
    14,206
    Level
    36
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Football weight lifting program

    Unless you are under 25, I suggest you do not do the program Iowa State is using. They make the players lift 100 - 110% of their max, which is good if you have testoterone flowing like the Mississippi. If not, you may find yourself being seriously injured. My high school actually uses the BFS program.
    BIGGER - FASTER - STRONGER


    Last edited by rahtotheames; 08-13-2007 at 08:56 PM.

  10. #10
    All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,384
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Football weight lifting program

    I'm 43, and lift my max or failure nearly every week. The key is to get in shape before you try max lifts, and listen to what your body is telling you, i.e., know the difference between aches and pains, and possible signs of incipient injury.



  11. #11
    Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    927
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Football weight lifting program

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    I had a couple PM's on this so I wanted to post it here. Finally got around to typing it up. I've been getting the 4 different groups in each week and then trying to get some cardio in on a 5th day. Right now my order is Chest/Shoulders, Legs - Quads, Back and Legs - Hamstrings. I do a month of 12's then switch to 8's (number of sets increases on some exercises) and then a month of 5's (again, sets increase) - then back to 12's. Eventually I'm going to work in some core exercises on the days I do legs so I can work my core 4 times a week.

    Chest/Shoulders


    Bench (12x2)
    Alternating Dumbell chest press (6x6x6 (left x right x together) x2)
    Push-ups (20x2)
    Barbell shoulder press (12x2)
    Alternating Dumbell shoulder press (6x6x6 (left x right x together) x2)
    Cheerleaders ((arms at side, raise up at sides, bring straight forward, bring straight back, down, repeat) 12x2)

    Elective oblique core exercise
    Sluggers (12x2 each side)
    Unbalanced bicycles (60-90 seconds x2)


    Back

    Pull-ups (12x2)
    Squat pull-downs (12x2)
    Hi-Lo rear delt fly (12x2)
    Low-rows (12x2)
    Angle pullups ((heels on grounds, pull up on bar so your body is at nearly a 45 degree angle with ground - progressively make harder by lowering bar) 12x2)
    Dumbell plank rows ((push up position with dumbell in each hand, bring one up, hold, down, bring the other up, hold, down, etc) 12x2

    Medicine ball leg raise & reach ((can sub dumbell for weight) 25x2)
    Bosu bicycle ((bicycles sitting on a bosu ball) 12x2)
    Elective core exercise


    Legs - Quads

    Bulgarian lunges (12x2 each) super-set with...
    Split-cyclone lunge jumps ((lunge position, jump, land in opposite lunge position, jump, etc) 12x2 each)

    Single leg extensions (12x2 each) super-set with...
    Lunge forward/backwards (12x2 each)

    Single leg jump-to-box (12x2) super-set with...
    Single leg squat-and-reach (12x2)


    Legs - Hamstrings

    Squats (12x2)
    Dead lifts (12x2)
    Straight leg dead lifts (12x2)

    Single leg hamstring curls (20x2) super-set with...
    Single leg hamstring resistance band speed curls (20x2)
    Ah to be 18 forever and able to do this.


    'tiny little text etched into her neck it said "jesus lived and died for all your sins." she's got blue black ink and it's scratched into her lower back. it said: "damn right i'll rise again." yeah, damn right you'll rise again.'

  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 336,980, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    31,904
    Points
    336,980
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 208

    Re: Football weight lifting program

    Me? 18? HA!

    You need not be a teenager to be able to exercise...



  13. #13
    Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    927
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Football weight lifting program

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    Me? 18? HA!

    You need not be a teenager to be able to exercise...
    Who says I don't exercise? My joints just can't handle that workout.


    'tiny little text etched into her neck it said "jesus lived and died for all your sins." she's got blue black ink and it's scratched into her lower back. it said: "damn right i'll rise again." yeah, damn right you'll rise again.'

  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 452,597, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    brianhos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Trenchtown
    Posts
    39,718
    Points
    452,597
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 265
    Given: 36

    Re: Football weight lifting program

    Quote Originally Posted by joepublic View Post
    Who says I don't exercise? My joints just can't handle that workout.
    Start light and work up to it. I did not think my body could handle squats 3 times per week and running 6 times a week, but you adapt and become stronger. I never have knee pain anymore, I used to have it all the time.


    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 336,980, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    31,904
    Points
    336,980
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 208

    Re: Football weight lifting program

    Brian is right...you don't go into any new workout program at 100% weights. I've seen people that do and they either get hurt or stop doing it because it's too hard. Well of course it is, the workout program is new! Need to slowly work into it.

    I'm still rehabbing a nearly completely reconstructed knee. If my bad joint can handle it, most likely anyone's can, short of someone with arthritis.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FOX
  • Iowa State vs. Baylor
  • September 27, 2014
  • 07:20 PM